3/7/22

Resuming "Normal" Life

The day was spent unpacking yesterday. I must have climbed up and down stairs about a zillion times, and while carrying heavy loads. By evening, my knees were so painful that it hurt to stand. I'd iced them just after lunch. By late afternoon, I was finishing up reorganizing the sewing room and putting away my fabric acquisitions, and I started whimpering with every step. I was finished anyway, and so it was time to stop. I spent some more time icing, took an anti-inflammatory, and then spent most of the evening sitting. This morning, my knees feel pretty much back to normal...as is the rest of life. There's still a mountain of laundry to tackle, and I'll have to do some grocery shopping today. By this afternoon, I'll be able to spend some time in the sewing room.

Smitty was back to normal at first light. He sat in his favorite spot on the deck outside. I tapped on the window to get him to look my way, but otherwise, he sat there surveying his kingdom.


Both kitties have been spending a lot of time in their indoor "clubhouse." I have an idea there are more mice there. I also have an idea that the mice will either leave or be eaten. Either way, the kitties are on the job.

We left in such a hurry last Christmas Day that all the Christmas decorations were still out. I couldn't get that stuff put away fast enough. As it stands, it's all piled on a table downstairs to be returned to its place in the closet. We're home just in a nick of time for me to put out my St. Patrick's Day themed table toppers. This one goes on the dining room table.


And this one on our breakfast bar.


And, finally, this one that I finished up on our trip. There is a narrow wall between the kitchen and the dining room that I use to hang these small wall-hangings. They are switched out seasonally. I don't yet have them for every season, but I have plenty of generic ones.


Also, in my unpacking, I was able to bring in this Hall China Company "Autumn Leaf" patterned vintage serving ware. This was a gift to me when we visited my friend Debi in Southern California. I meant to show it earlier, but then I had it all packed for safety before I thought to take a picture. I didn't want to get it all out again, and so I'm just now getting a chance to share it.


Here's the label on the back:


It has some value to collectors, I suppose. For me, it's a reminder of my mother. She had a set of mixing bowls. When she passed away, I got almost nothing of hers. Then, I found a set of the mixing bowls in an antique shop one day, and I bought them...just because they made me think of her. When I visited Debi's home, she had scads of this stuff. I told her my own story behind it, and she gave me these pieces. So, thank you, Debi! These will be happily used and treasured.

This morning, I spent some time on my slow-stitching piece. I'm having fun with this. I like getting a chance to do some different stitches. This morning, all four colors have been added. I didn't like the pink that came with the kit, and so I switched it out for a brighter pink from my stash.

Okay, so I have a couple of things I need to get going on this morning to be able to finish up the "getting-home" tasks. There is the biggest mountain of laundry I've ever seen piled on the floor of the laundry room. I'm washing virtually everything that is washable from the trailer, including bedding, towels, and half a dozen quilts. And don't even get me started on the clothes. So, there's that. I'm not even sure I can finish all of it in a single day. Also, there's grocery shopping. Mike isn't going with me this morning since he's waiting on the arrival of the "internet guys" to fix our internet connection. I'm really hoping I'll have "real" internet by the time we chat again tomorrow morning.

For now, it's time to tackle that laundry, hit the showers, and then hit the road. Grocery shopping...fortunately, the list is relatively short. It's another sunny day in the Pacific Northwest. Our arrival at home was well timed.

8 comments:

Barbara said...

I hate housework! You make the beds, you do the dishes and six months later you have to start all over again. ~ Joan Rivers

Deb E said...

Must admit that reading your blog this morning made me very homesick for our old home in Salem. We had a beautiful home (just slightly larger than our home now), but it was already updated (thanks to years of work on our part) and the backyard looked like something out of an upscale park. This yard has no trees (the prior owner cut all of them down) and almost no plants, and way, way too much grass and weeds. This years projects include cutting down on the grass big time and planting trees everywhere we can, as well as doing raised garden areas for plants (to cut down on the water consumption). I'm looking forward to being able to look outside and see the fruits of our labor -- but not all the work to make it happen!

Julierose said...

What lovely china pieces--I have a few cut glass pieces of my Grand-mere's and 6 "Friendly Village" dinner plates leftover from my Mom's set which I use at Holiday time...altho' I have been thinking why not use them now? Tempus Fugit and all that!!
I do like that brighter pink on your pretty stitchery...it's looking good.

Don't overdo and set off your knees again--(look who's talking right? I did too much yesterday and have been icing this morning!!) Anyhow, glad you got home safely and the sun came out for your errands...hugs, Julierose

SJSM said...

Just think of all those stairs has my hip hurting. I’m sure you are glad to get the RV emptied. Although you will need to climb stairs once more when the laundry is done. Joan Rivers was a funny lady. I wonder if all your readers are ancient enough to know her talent? My agenda includes seeing a surgeon so I am guessing we are both are trying to just get the necessary things in life done.

piecefulwendy said...

I always find it rather nice to be able to be back home and doing the usual tasks after a road trip. I hope the grocery run is painless, the mice get routed by the kitties, and your knees continue to feel good. Enjoy your sewing today!

Darlene S said...

You do settle in quickly. I love your new china pieces and all your St. Patrick's Day decor. I was thinking you and Mike need to go to McDonalds, for your Egg McMuffin, on the 17th.

Kkblou@gmail.com said...

My Mom had some too. This was from the Jewel Tea stores or whatever they were. I think there are still some in the Midwest like around Chicago.
Very pretty.
Kat

Magpie's Mumblings said...

Being greeted with Christmas decorations must have been a bit of a shock. No wonder you took them down in a hurry!
Those dishes are so pretty - not a design I've seen before.