2/18/22

Do-Nothing Day

It isn't quite accurate to say it was a "do nothing" day. We did go to the grocery store, and we bought the place out. There are no good shopping options without driving a significant distance from next week's destination in Death Valley, and so we needed to stock up to get us through the end of this week and next week. As it is, we'll probably make another short trip on our last day here in Pahrump. When we got home, we put the groceries away and then headed over to Carl's, Jr., to get hamburgers. I haven't had a fast food hamburger since last July, and I had a powerful need for one. Now, I think I have it out of my system. The rest of the day was spent just lazing around for the most part.

Before we left to get groceries, I stitched the day's inchy. This one was hard. I've had some success at my nemesis, the bullion stitch, but yesterday's gave me no end of grief. 


So there it is, for better or worse. I'm just thankful it's finished. Today's has been posted, and it'll be an easier one today.

We tried getting Smitty out for a walk yesterday. Mike harnessed him up and carried him outside, and then held him, turning in all directions so that Smitty could see there were no woofies and no strange Mans. (We dislike strange Mans as much as we dislike woofies.) Even with that precautionary look around, Smitty wasted no time hopping back up on the step and pawing at the door. Is that a look that says, "Puh-leeeeze let me in!" or what?


Okay, and I was in the middle of making some lemon pudding cakes. It took me two tries to get this right. They aren't difficult to make, but sometimes baking in a combination convection/microwave is tricky. The first two I made weren't baked long enough. There's a longer story associated with this, but I'll skip it for being too painful to tell. Instead, I'll just say I started over again and had better luck with my second try. When I took them out of their ramekins, they looked like this:


We had them for dessert last night along with some blueberries and a dollop of whipped cream, and they were yummy.


You can find the recipe for these right here. The recipe makes four, but I cut it in half and make just the two.

Mike has been itching to fly his drone, but it has been too windy the past couple of days. Finally, the wind died down yesterday afternoon, and he was able to get out for a little fly-around time. Our space backs onto the desert. As he zooms in closer to the park, you can see our rig, fifth from the right. (Be sure to count the smaller rig to the extreme right as you count over five.) There are two pools at this park, a restaurant, and a winery with associated vineyards. If you can't see the video, then click right here.


Okay, so now you've seen our little home away from home for the past two weeks. We're here until Monday when we'll move along about two hours west to Death Valley National Park.

Before I finish off today, I want to direct you to Darlene's post at her Creative Latitude blog. Darlene and I have communicated about the issue of "no-reply" blogging. *All* of you, no matter how long you've been using Google and Blogger have reverted to "no-reply" when you leave a comment on my blog, and (one assumes) anyone else's blog. For the most part, I've been able to accommodate your status and reply anyway by changing your email to the correct one. Most of you are already in my "address book," and so I know your emails by simply starting to type your name. Some of you are either new, or don't often leave comments. For you, I've been going to the comments page of my blog, and looking up your email by clicking on your profile. As you might guess, it takes a bit of effort to do that when there are multiple no-reply comments. 

So getting back to Darlene's post (link above), she's run an experiment with another blogger. You'll need to go to your settings, and first uncheck the appropriate box that shows your email. Save. Then recheck the box and save again. This will take care of the problem, and I encourage you to do it regardless of how long you've been blogging and/or using Google. I have no idea why this happened, but I'm guessing it has something to do with unintended consequences of changes to Google and/or Blogger. Please read Darlene's post and do what she says. It'll make all our lives easier.

Today I'll get busy sewing together the mini snowflake quilt. I don't know if I'll get the whole quilt top finished today, but I'm going to try.

12 comments:

Barbara said...

I think that all services will have downtime. No matter how much you prepare, have redundant systems, or audit, there will periodically be a black swan event that is completely unlike whatever you've experienced before. It even happens to Google! ~ Matt Mullenweg

Connie W. said...

Looks like Mike has the hang of the drone driving. I enjoyed seeing the area. Thanks for the Google info and the link for correcting the settings. Enjoy your days at the winery.
Connie W.

Robin said...

Thank you for the info Barbara, I followed the directions and hopefully I did so correctly and it worked. I think your inchie is beautiful. So is Smitty. And of course Sadie : )

Darlene S said...

I love quiet "down" days when traveling. Yours sounds like a lovely yet relaxing day. Thanks for helping to get the word out about no-reply bloggers. Google is up to something mysterious, once again....or it is those darn computer mice playing with all of us.

Janarama said...

The lemon pudding looks very tasty especially with the whipped cream and blueberries added. Thumb's up for Mike's drone videos ... always a treat to see things from a bird's eye view. Awwwwwww, look at that sweet face on Smitty. Makes you want to give him a big hug. I went and followed Darlene's directions, so hopefully I'm not a no-reply blogger. Thanks for sharing that info.

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

Is your RV park connected to the Pahrump Valley Winery? We visited there some years ago and loved their wine! Thanks for the info about Google and Blogger. I think I followed the instructions on Darlene's blog, and hope it worked!

MissPat said...

OK, followed Darlene's directions. Thanks for the alert. Dessert looked yummy.
Pat

Quilting Babcia said...

Ditto to Miss Pat. Hope it worked. I hadn't noticed anything amiss with my last blog post, though it was two weeks ago. Thanks for passing along the word.

Kathy said...

Are you using a straw needle when you make your bullions? Milliners needles work well, but straw needles work better at helping you keep your wraps more uniform. (crewel needles will produce a roll the shape of the needle shaft) Also, "pet the caterpillar" (stroke the thread on the needle a bit with your fingernail) before you pull the needle and thread through- that also helps you keep regular tension around the needle. Bullions are tricky. I'mm in awe of people like Gail Doane and Kari Mecca who can produce 50-100 wrap knots that are even.
I'm enjoying seeing your daily birdhouses. I still haven't started mine, but I have purchased the fabric! I believe I will be playing catch-up on both those and my sewing room challenge this weekend.
Loki would like Smitty to know that he is also distrustful of Strange Mans and Woofies. They can be sneaky.

piecefulwendy said...

My mini bundt pan arrived today, so there will be mini bundts in my future! That little inchie looks pretty good to me!

Susan said...

Just curious where you find the directions for each inchy?

kc said...

Thanks for the heads up! I have unchecked, saved, checked and saved again, so, hopefully, i am one less pita for you. Smitty looks pitiful out there, glad you can translate cat and let him right back in. Cute inchy, I think you are a better stitched then you give yourself credit for. That lemon cake looks scrumptious!!