2/13/22

A Chill Day

Pretty much nothing happened here yesterday. We spent the day reading, stitching, napping, and walking. Sadie has taken to sitting near the bird feeders. She's just trying to be furriendly, doncha know.


Under her watchful gaze, I stitched the day's inchy. This one was pretty easy.


And with so much help, how could I go wrong?


After lazing around most of the morning and then napping after lunch, we couldn't stand ourselves any longer, and so we took a little walk around the RV park. I tried to get the shot below the other day, but it came out blurry. I wanted to show you one of the COVID-related changes the park made since our visit last year. Part of the draw of this park is the food that is sometimes served up in the "Clubhouse," either free of charge (think breakfast waffles on Mondays, Wednesdays, and Fridays), and then other meals served at a very low price (think Taco Tuesdays, and that sort of thing). Well, of course, COVID put the kibosh on those indoor gatherings. 


And so the park, in its wisdom, built these colorful outdoor shelters. The orange one has a kitchen. The others...I'm not sure. There is a table in the aqua one, that could serve to hold napkins, silverware, and condiments. The purple one seems to have some comfy chairs and a side table, where one might enjoy a cup of coffee or tea. There are also a bunch of widely spaced picnic tables, difficult to see in the image. The colorful umbrellas in the foreground were all red last year, and so those have been switched out to match the structures. There is another large yellow one on the right and outside the frame. We haven't availed ourselves of the food here so far. We might check it out in the coming week. They do make good waffles.

While we were out, I captured a shot of my favorite RV sign. I've looked at getting a sign for our RV. This is the one I'd actually love to have. So funny.


Someone is always sitting outside when I pass by this RV, and so I had to be stealth getting my photo. Even though I'm not doing anything nefarious with them, it's still a little awkward having to explain myself to people. Yeah...I take random photos of things...no reason whatsoever. I'm just sharing them with my online friends. No worries. Sounds perfectly reasonable, doesn't it?

It was warm yesterday, and so we moved our chairs around to the back of the RV where it is shady. This was our view of the mountains off in the distance. You can see a waxing moon in the sky.


I realized yesterday that we will be in Death Valley for the new moon, and so it will be a dark sky. Death Valley is one of the designated International Dark Sky Parks, and so it will be a good time for stargazing. There are a few activities in the park to celebrate the park's Dark Sky Festival. We're hoping it doesn't mean there will be throngs of visitors to the park, but one never knows. We'll be there well in advance of the "festival" dates, and so we'll be able to find a campsite in their first-come, first-served campground. My only real concern visiting Death Valley is that there probably will be no internet access, and so how am I going to get the daily inchy? Huh? Probably, we'll be able to pick up enough cell signal at the visitor center to allow me to keep up with each new post. No need to start hyperventilating just yet.

Today I'll be setting up the sewing machine to quilt the "Never Enough Cats" quilt. As I mentioned yesterday, I've had the quilt hanging in various places in the RV to allow the wrinkles to relax out of it.


I'm realizing it's actually a good strategy to put the quilt where it's easy to see. I've glanced at it occasionally over the past day or two and figured out how to quilt it. The back is black, and I wanted to use black thread in the bobbin. But I worry I'll have difficult getting the tension right so that the black thread isn't showing through on the white and light portions of the quilt top. As I've looked at this over the past few days, I've changed my mind and decided on red thread. I know just what to do now.

Okay, so today's inchy will be posted soon, if it hasn't been already. Time to start my sewing day. 

6 comments:

Barbara said...

With freedom, books, flowers, and the moon who could not be happy? ~ Oscar Wilde

Darlene S said...

What a great start to see Sadie being furriendly to the local birds. What a sweetie pie. Looks like you all had a wonderful day. Lovely park. I hope that this park can soon return to pre-covid fun, but in the meantime it still looks like a great spot for you to stay for awhile. And great nap weather too!

Siggy Bee said...

You should be able to pick up a wifi signal outside the store at Furnace Creek. I have always had good luck there. Wish I was in Death Valley for a week or two.

Sandra W said...

Well, I got caught up on your blog, finally. I was interested in learning more about Death Valley. I also enjoy charity shops. Especially in cottage country where we have a Goodwill but I actually refer the St. Vincent dePaul (Catholic). Sometimes I buy things only to donate back in a day or two. The story of your daughter Holly is so sad. She looks very sweet and hard to image she was plagued by so many health issues. It must be very difficult caring for such a child. I know that in Canada you are pretty well left to your own resources. I don't think many people realize the joy of a healthy child, even when said child can cause general parent anxiety. I always remind my children of their healthy children when they generally complaining about them.
Interesting about the differences in attitude/mask wearing. I've heard that in some parts of the U.S. Canadians are the only ones wearing masks--and getting some flack for it.
No doubt you have heard about our trucker protests! Kick them out--really, going into the third weekend. Our government and local police should have acted weeks ago. We were expecting violence but it seems to be under control.A friend of mine says it is Darwin's theory at work.All of your quilts and sewing are wonderful. I must figure out how to transfer the blackwork baskets. Do you wordle?

SJSM said...

I misread your title. I was expecting a recipe for chili! Ha! We aren’t as warm as you are but we are going out without a jacket of any kind. They are wonderful winter days. We do hope rain will come our way to fill our mountains with snow and reservoirs with water. You seem to be basking just like Sadie. Enjoy.

Magpie's Mumblings said...

Those are some colourful structures! And the view of those mountains in the distance - so beautiful, even though there IS snow.