1/20/22

Acting Like Grown-ups

There comes a day in every RVer's life when we have to do some adult things. Yesterday was one of those days. We started out grocery shopping and then continued on with laundry. It was past time to wash our bed sheets. I figured it I was going to walk to the park laundry, I might as well do a load of jeans too. It meant walking back and forth, up and down a steep hill, four times to finish the laundry. I figure I got my exercise. By day's end, we felt like old people. And, if you want to know the truth, we felt like old people at the beginning of the day too. I guess acting like grown-ups didn't hurt us, but we didn't like it either.

Here's the bright spot, though. I finished the Posies quilt top.


I like how the colors look together. I'll be using the same fabric from the border for the back. I can't recall what I'm going to do for the binding. Probably, I haven't decided yet. I'll be putting this aside for finishing when we get home...probably sometime next year, since it will take me that long to get it sandwiched for quilting. This was my project for:


so I'll link up there on Saturday.

The kitties were no help at all with this. They were not behaving like grown-ups. They were behaving like lazy kitties, which I suppose is their full-time job.


After I'd put away the sewing stuff for the day, a new "booster seat" arrived at the Amazon locker nearby. You might recall I was griping about my chair, which is really too low for sewing. The chair has a soft spot "hole" in the center of the cushion where I sit. It doesn't allow me to sit high enough to sew comfortably. I'm sitting on it as I write this post, and it's very comfy. It gets rid of the hole I sink into when I sit on the chair without it. 

 
My friend, Cathy, recommended this booster. I found it on Amazon right here. Right now, it has a $2 off coupon. You can read the description if you click on that link. Now I'm looking forward to doing some more sewing so I can see how I like it for that. Thanks for the recommendation, Cathy. 

Next up, I'm going to start sewing together the Thimbles quilt top.


For this project, I've already done all the cutting, like I did for the Posies. It makes sewing it all together a pretty easy and quick job.

Last night, I tried a new recipe. Someone on Facebook posted that she had tried it, declaring it "so easy and delicious." Well. I'm always on the hunt for things that are easy and delicious, and so it seemed like a good one to try out for ourselves. My picture makes it look sort of ghastly, but it actually tasted really good. This is 20-Minute Chicken Cutlets with Creamy Pesto Sauce. We had it with some of the frozen corn we grew in our garden this past summer.


It looks a lot better in the picture from the recipe below.


I made it just as written with two minor changes. I used regular cream instead of heavy cream. I still have some regular cream I brought from home, and I wanted to use it. This is a diet-friendly recipe at 371 calories per serving. Using regular cream probably cut the calorie count a little more. Certainly, it cut the fat some. Also, I didn't have any fresh basil, and so I sprinkled a little dried basil over the top. If we were home, I might have made my own pesto, but I used some I found in the grocery store. If you're looking for store-bought pesto, it generally lives in the same section with the pasta sauce. As for dinner, we liked it, and it'll be a nice addition to my database of camping recipes. It's all done in one skillet, which made for an easy clean-up too.

Okay, so today we're having friends visit after lunch. Rick and Danni spent the week with us at Lake Skinner, and they're interested in seeing the RV park where we are now. Later today we'll head over to see Debi and Jim...the other friends we met in Lake Skinner...and have dinner with them. So it's a busy day of socializing. Probably not much more will happen than that. If there's time to sew, I'll get a start on sewing the Thimbles together.

12 comments:

Barbara said...

In your pursuit of your passions, always be young. In your relationship with others, always be grown-up. Set a standard, and stay faithful to it. ~ Tom Brokaw

Darlene S said...

Sounds like a wonderful day, even with the adulting time. Yummy recipe. Thanks for sharing, I want to give it a try. Enjoy the sunshine today!

Christine said...

Great quilt top.
Chicken recipe sounds good, thanks for sharing.

Magpie's Mumblings said...

Adulting is SUCH a drag! We spent the afternoon with our #1 son and his family (7 year old grandson). We loved every minute of it, having not seen them in nearly two years, but boy were we exhausted!! On the bright side, we also had massive excitement here over the birth of a brand new baby granddaughter yesterday. A banner day if there ever was one!
Wonder if that new cushion helps with bad posture...I find myself slouching more and more and really need to address that.

The Joyful Quilter said...

Tasty looking meals, Barbara, and I appreciate the recipe links. The Posies came together beautifully, but that Thimble quilt in RED is going to be exquisite when completed!!

Sara said...

The thimble blocks are really pretty. Your chicken dish sounds like something I would love.

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

I love your Posies quilt top! So perfect for a rainbow quilt, too. I've enjoyed following on your trip to S. California - sounds very enjoyable!

grammajudyb said...

Your Posies quilt is just adorable? So proud of you for getting your chores done! And finding the rainbow! ( getting your steps in) *giggle*. I’ll be checking on that Thimble quilt! Cute!

Susie H said...

Gorgeous thimble blocks! Truly! The Posies quilt turned out beautifully as well. You do great work!

Karen's Korner said...

Lovely work on the thimbles. A pretty bunch of posies.

Jenny said...

Your Posies quilt top looks very pretty, and I rather like your thimble stitcheries too. Wonder how you will be putting them 5ogether, guess I'll wait and see.

Lyndsey said...

The posies quilt top is pretty and I love the thimble stitcheries. Thanks for the recipes, it looks perfect so I'll give it a try later in the week.