12/14/21

Winter White

We got a dusting of snow last night, as expected. I don't expect it will stay around long, but I haven't checked the forecast either. It's easy to see why this time of day is known as the "blue hour."


It was a long day yesterday. I left home at 9:00 a.m., and met Sue for breakfast. Then I submitted to having my hair permed. It was after 2:00 p.m. by the time I got home. When I embark on a day like yesterday, I'm always reminded of the line from the movie "Witness," when Eli Lapp says to his grandson, "You be careful out among them English." I was careful. Home safe and sound, if a little rattled by the Christmas rush and pressure, I took a short nap.

When I had myself pulled together, I turned the fourth corner on the Appalachian Memories quilt binding.

Soon thereafter, I had a finished quilt. My quilt-holder-upper was close at hand, and so he held it up for its picture. It ends up at 59 x 75 inches. 

I started embroidering the blocks for this quilt on October 18, 2018. It seems a lifetime ago...pre-pandemic. Does it seem like forever after our days will be designed as BP (Before Pandemic) or AP (After Pandemic)? The remainder of the day was spent resting and recuperating, and we had leftovers for dinner. Appalachian Memories was my goal for December's 

so count me in when the party starts.

Okay, so it's a new day...with snow...and I've taken the first stitches on the 9th plate for Pieces of the Past.


Today I want to finish packing up some projects to take south, and I want to spend some time in the kitchen. I want to make another batch of biscotti, and tonight's dinner requires some make-ahead time. It's a slow-cooker meal, but it requires some quick pickled red onions and some coleslaw. Both will taste better if given some time to sit in the fridge. 

If there's time left in the day, I'll get busy quilting the Tiny Tuesday quilt. I'm having a hard time deciding how to quilt this, but I think I've at least narrowed it down some. You can see that some blocks are set on point and some are square set. 


Also, the blocks are diverse in their designs, and so I'm trying to decide whether to quilt around the blocks or whether to do an all-over design. I'll figure something out. I think I still have a few books on my shelf I haven't consulted for inspiration, and so I'll start there.

Generally on a snow day, Mike gets inspired to make Spanish coffees. If that happens, there probably won't be much more accomplished.

6 comments:

Barbara said...

Snowflakes are one of nature‘s most fragile things, but just look what they can do when they stick together. ~ Vesta M. Kelly

Elaine Walker said...

Love your Appalachian quilt. Everything about it. Enjoyed seeing the blue hour photo. Beautiful. We don’t get anything like that here in Missouri.

Christine said...

Congratulations! The quilt is beautiful.
The blue hour.... Never heard of that but I might be tempted to use your photo as a screensaver when the bright hot sun is about..... Do you remember that yellow thing?? lol

Sara said...

Those embroidered blocks really make the quilt special. Wonderful handwork!

We got 10" of snow last week, but this morning we have heavy fog. And the prediction is 50 mph winds and thunderstorms by evening. What a crazy winter this has been so far.

piecefulwendy said...

So did the Spanish coffee happen? Inquiring minds want to know. We have a crazy weather forecast today, so as soon as the fog lets up, I'm going to run a quick errand, then come home and reacquaint myself with my sewing room. Later we'll batten down the hatches for the crazy high winds and storms.

Patty said...

Wonderful quilts. Thanks for linking up with Elm Street Quilts One Monthly Goal and Happy New Year!