11/21/21

Thread and Bread

After writing yesterday's post, I spent some time with my slow-stitching piece. Now I've moved my hoop again. I'm nearing a finish on this, and it will probably be finished before the week is over.


When I was finished with that, I went searching through my zillions of spools of thread in search of any I might use to do the thread work on my challenge piece. I came out with these.


The lightest beige-brown at the top is just slightly variegated, and it was a good choice for the lightest parts of my piece. The one to its right might be just a tad dark for my purpose, but I'll try laying it out on the piece today to see how it looks. The dark variegated at the top left is a perfect one for some of the darkest parts, and the dark brown at the top right will be used to stitch in some details. I just might have everything I need. The medium variegated is the one question mark. 

As for the blues and the rose color, those will be for the blues I've shown you. The rose is for a detail I cannot disclose without giving something away. You'll have to trust me when I say it's exactly the color I need.

So my next task was to add borders and sandwich this for quilting. I've done some reading that advised me to use some iron-on stabilizer on the back of the main part, which should make the thread painting go more smoothly. Then I added two borders. I'm only showing you just a bit of the inner blue border on the right and bottom of the image below.


Also, I added a little more blue color to the blue piece on the lower left corner. I can't show you the outer border since that would give too much away. I added the batting, but not the back. I want to do the thread painting before adding the back, but I'll add it before I start quilting the outer edges and the borders.

Then, I gulped hard and went to work thread painting the lightest parts.


Then, I added in some details with the dark brown thread.


This piece will require lots of thread changes as I go, even though I'm not using very many colors. Some of the details need to be added before the thread paint, and some after. I'll have to be patient as I go. And "patience" is a good watchword for this piece. I found myself kind of hyped up and feeling hurried as I went. I think it was just the adrenaline rush of trying something new and wanting to get it right. I was feeling pressured, and I didn't want to work that way, so I called it quits after stitching about a third of it. I'll go back to it today. As I told my friend Wendy, the prompt for this piece is "feelings/emotions," and I've selected something very special to me. I want to do a good job on it.

Instead of pushing through, I went upstairs and had some lunch with my cat. He's a very good listener when one is speaking from jangled nerves.


Then, I did some housework and crossed off a few more to-do's on my list. It was a relaxing afternoon. 

For dinner, I tried something new. I had some chunked up butternut squash in my freezer from another dish, and I wanted to use it. Enter this recipe for Butternut Squash Braids. It also used a pound of Italian sausage. Recently, we went in on a pork share with our son and daughter-in-law, and so I'm looking for ways to use that stuff too. Our half of the share included two pounds of Italian sausage. And these were very tasty...and filling! We each could eat only half of one. With all the veggies, sausage, and puff pastry, it's a one dish meal.


This was actually much easier than it looks. If you don't believe me, then take a look at this helpful video. (Sorry about the Walmart ad.) If you can't see the video, then click right here.


Okay, and so I put off baking the Cranberry-Orange Bread with Grand Marnier Glaze until this morning. I wanted it to be same-day baked when I hand it to my neighbor atthe open house this afternoon.


I've already done my slow stitching this morning, and so the next thing on my list is to get back to the challenge piece. Another reason I quit yesterday was because I was ready to start the scariest part of the thread-painting. Hopefully, I can approach it with a relaxed mind and smooth movements. Fingers crossed. 

7 comments:

Barbara said...

A gentle heart is tied with an easy thread. ~ George Herbert

Juliana said...

What a handsome cat! Your thread painting is very interesting. I'm looking forward to seeing more.

Katie said...

That recipe looks great and I was excited until I saw the spinach. My hubby, who I call Mr. PickyPants, will not eat spinach. He says it tastes like dirt. So I guess it's a no-go for us. But my go-to for cold weather meals using Italian sausage is minestrone. It's even better the next day and Mr. PickyPants likes it. I'm looking forward to the quilt reveal - what I sew so far is intriguing.

piecefulwendy said...

How large are the braided loaves? I have a butternut squash that I need to use, so I'm pondering. Hope the scary part is done and you are relaxed and calm. Smitty looks like he thinks you need some catnip - haha!

Shirley said...

The butternut braids are in the oven, first time for me and it smells great. Didn’t take in the “cut lines about an inch apart”, some were a quarter inch, some were half an inch, so that was a bit messy. But I had some left over dough and patched the sides so the filling would stay put. We will know in ten more minutes how well that went.

Denise :) said...

The braided butternut squash dish looks yummy ... I love one dish meals! The cranberry orange bread look pretty amazing, too!! Smitty has just matured in the most handsome feline...I can tell he takes his job as listener very seriously, too!

Magpie's Mumblings said...

mmmm - yum. Not one but TWO yummy looking things that are now making me hungry. Those threads are all droolworthy so I know they will look great on (in?) your project.