11/27/21

Lots of Cats

Despite my claim that yesterday would be an NBS day, it wasn't. I'd forgotten we needed to make a trip into town. There's a sale that happens on an item we use regularly, and it happens on the last weekend of each month. Yesterday was the best day to go, and so we went. We ran a few more errands while we were out as well, which is to say, we didn't arrive home until after noon. Okay, so a HDS it was (Half Day Sewing). Try to keep up with these acronyms as we go.

When we drove up to the house on our return, we noticed this:


If you read regularly, then you might remember that Mike built these bird houses a couple of years ago creating a "neighborhood" for the violet-green swallows that visit each spring. The swallows have only ever used the second one from the left. Here's a picture I took of one from last summer:


So, look again at that first image. You can see that the birds have done some remodeling on their house, making the door opening larger. Interesting, huh? Mike is going to take down the houses and clean them out in the next day or two. He'll probably make the openings larger on the rest of the houses. Maybe we'll get more birds moving in that way.

Sadie was enjoying the morning on her catio catwalk. The board she's sitting on extends from the shelf to the wooden ladder we gave them. They've never used the ladder, but they like the catwalk. It gives them a place to sit when rain is blowing in. They can enjoy the outdoors without that pesky rain wetting them down.


Inside, I went to work top-stitching the next row of cats. These take longer to top-stitch than you might think. I took a short break when these were done.


When I turned around, I found Smitty sitting on the ironing board. This is a definite no-no, and when he realized he'd been busted, he mended his ways.


Back at the sewing machine, I stitched the row of cats where Sadie appears.


Smitty has been...shall we say...all ears about this piece. Where cats are involved, he has the final say.


And by day's end, I had the last of the cats stitched. Phew! I'm glad to have those done.


Here's how the finished quilt top looks.

Only, it isn't finished because I still need to add the eyes. I was all set to sandwich it for quilting, but then realized I needed to wait until I make a final decision about the eyes. I have some tiny buttons, but I'm loathe to sew on 24 little buttons. Instead, I'm awaiting the arrival of some hot-fix nailheads. I'm hoping those will work for this. They should arrive Monday or Tuesday. 

Instead, today's sewing will be to quilt the small quilt I mentioned in yesterday's post:


It's a small quilt...just 12 x 12, and I'll quilt it pretty simply. The binding strips are cut, and so I'll sew those on when I'm finished. When that's done, I'll get back to my list of WIP's. I believe next on the list is to make another block for the Vintage Linens quilt.

Come hell or high water, today I'll get my NBS day. While we were out, we picked up a frozen turkey breast. The one bad thing about having Thanksgiving at someone else's house is there are no leftovers. I'm in the mood for hot turkey sandwiches, and so I'll put that in the slow cooker today. Also, I want to try a new recipe for some "stuffing bites." I'll tell you more about it in tomorrow's post.

8 comments:

Barbara said...

Way down deep, we’re all motivated by the same urges. Cats have the courage to live by them. ~ Jim Davis

Quilting Babcia said...

We're going to cook a turkey breast in the crockpot today for the same reason. The only thing we brought home on Thursday was some of the leftover cranberry salsa and cran-orange sweet relish I had taken. I'll add some jalapeƱos and cilantro and a bit of onion and turn it all into salsa which we like better than the sweet relish. Between making the pumpkin pie and stuffing, etc plus laundry it'll be a NSD around here, sigh. There are way too many of those, sadly.

Julierose said...

The different expressions on the kitties are so funny--great work on this one!!
They are really adorable and will look great in your Mew-seum...;D
hugs, Julierose

Vroomans' Quilts said...

Love those Kittie. I think one row of them would be enough for me. I'm doing handwork these days. Easy to set down and come back to right now.

piecefulwendy said...

The kitty quilt is coming along really well. I'd opt for the hot-fix nailheads too, rather than 24 teeny buttons (uffda). I was tempted to buy a turkey breast the last time I was at the store, but didn't. Now I'm having second thoughts. Interesting about the bird house, too!

SJSM said...

Those expressions are comical! What a fun quilt. You guys are great observers on those bird houses. Now I’m curious if you will have more tenants this spring.

Magpie's Mumblings said...

The best part about turkey is leftovers so I don't blame you for buying the turkey breast. We might do that for Christmas.
I love those cats - each one has such attitude.

Vicki W said...

Your bird looks like the Tree Swallows that we get here on the East Coast. They sometimes nest in our bluebird boxes. They are beautiful birds.