11/5/21

Another Little Kitty Quilt

It must be my month for cat quilts because it seems that's all I'm working on right now. Before heading off to the grocery store yesterday, I hung the Kitty Cat Alphabet in one of the few remaining open spots in the downstairs Mewseum.


There are still a few spots left for very small quilts, but anything larger will need to move to the upstairs portion of the Mewseum.

It was late in the day by the time I was able to head into the sewing room. The first order of business was to sew the nurse's cap onto the kitty nurse. 


She's feeling so much better now that she's in full uniform. I'd peeled up the backing to do that, and then I smoothed everything back into place for quilting.


Since the applique stitching was all done through the batting, I didn't add very much quilting to this. I decided to add some vertical lines to the "wallpaper." Think of it as wainscoting.


I stitched in the ditch around the inner border, and then added a line of straight-line stitching around the outer border. Also, I outlined a few of the appliques. The buttons were getting in my way in some spots.


And then I added the binding. It was hard to choose something. Usually I like to add stripes or polka dots, but the border fabric was too busy for anything but a plain binding. I chose that same batik I used in the center.


And that was all I had time for yesterday afternoon. I'll finish off the hand-stitching this morning, and I'll have another little finish.

From here, I'll get back to quilting the Fancy Cats quilt. I'm really stuck on that one. I'm not happy with where I started on it, and I'm seriously considering taking it all out and starting again. That's all fine and dandy...I'm not very far along. I just don't know how to quilt it any differently. Possibly I need to give it a little more time to gel in my feeble brain. I'll figure something out, but I'm dragging my feet getting back to it. A Pinterest search might give me some ideas, and so I'll start there first. 

What do you guys do when you're stuck for ideas about quilting something? Suggestions are appreciated. The first thing I need to do is figure out the name of the panel I started with, and then try searching Pinterest with that. More to follow.

10 comments:

Barbara said...

Creative thinking inspires ideas. Ideas inspire change. ~ Barbara Januszkiewicz

Mary C said...

The nurse cap is a fabulous accessory!
When you're stuck, take some time away to encourage ideas to simmer in your mind. Also look at Pinterest for ideas.

Violet Withey said...

I liked the paisley and tracing of the cat. Maybe put paisley like feathers or paw prints. May be wiskers. Love the mewseum quilts. Violet Withey

Jenny said...

That's a beautiful array of quilts marching down your stairs.

Magpie's Mumblings said...

Such a fun little quilt - and so very appropriate for the current times too.

CindyE said...

Try the Free Motion Quilting Project tab at leahday.com.

piecefulwendy said...

That border fabric on that mini quilt is so cute, and I love the little nurse's cap. You know I'm not great at free motion, but when I don't know how to quilt something, I put it up where I can see it and let ideas brew. I've also used an app called You Doodle, where I can take a photo of the quilt, then draw different quilting ideas on it. It works okay; it's not always easy to really get the idea of how it will look (since the lines are drawn with my finger or stylus and a bit thick, but it has helped me now and then.

Julierose said...

Your "Mewseum" quilts are so adorable--what a great idea--The Kitties Alpha quilt turned out just right...nice work hugs, Julierose from frosty CT--30 degrees this morning..{can you say "Win-ter?"}

zooperson said...

How cute is that! Love those kitties!

Susan said...

Someone once told me to try taking a picture of the quilt and printing copies as big as your printer or print shop is capable of making or drawing part of the quilt on paper yourself. Then doddle on the copies. You can try out as many possibilities as you want that you don't have to "unsew".I like the blue binding on the mini quilt and the nurse's cap completes the picture.