8/17/21

Morning Meandering

This morning's post is a little late. We were up and out early to deliver Smitty to the vet. Today is the day he gets his teefies cleaned. He should have a dazzling smile when we pick him up this afternoon. For this morning, he's having a very bad day. 


Loaded into a crate. Oh, the catmanity! And this, after going all night without food or water, and no morning treats. I'm telling you...the Three Cats Ranch is going to hell in a hand basket. That's all there is to it. 

We dropped him off early at the vet. To make matters worse, the waiting room was full of big bad woofies. Smitty was the only decent pet there. Not only that, but there was a woofie in the feline waiting area. Well. Don't you know Smitty yowled and howled as if he were being murdered right there in his kitty carrier. And then, one of those bad woofies waiting in Smitty's sacred feline space started to approach his carrier. I gave that woofie and his owner my sternest of looks, and he backed off. Sheesh. It was a near cat-tastrophe.

Okay, and so we left the howls and cries behind and headed to McDonald's for our beloved Egg McMuffin. It was the only good part of the morning. After that...what else? Grocery shopping. Like I said, do I know how to get the day off to a good start, or what? Okay, and so we're home now. We were home and had the groceries put away before 10:00 a.m. All of us, Sadie included, are holding The Smittenator in our hearts. We'll pick him up later this afternoon.


For all I did yesterday, I don't have much to show for it. I worked on my slow-stitching and took it nearly to the finish line.


I worked on it a little more while we were watching the news last night. It's nearly finished now, and I expect I'll finish it up this morning.

After that, I hoed weeds in the garden and harvested some green beans and some zucchini. Also, I harvested two ears of corn for last night's dinner. It was a test to see if it was ripe enough to start harvesting in earnest. When I came back inside, I did some housework and then got to work on my latest canning adventure. My yield was four pints of Fire Roasted Tomato and Peach Salsa. I haven't tasted it yet, and so I can't say whether this is a good recipe. Someone in one of the canning Facebook groups recommended it. It's pretty though.


While I was doing all of that, I was also doing laundry for most of the day, and phew! By the time dinner rolled around, I was a tired pup.

The corn was delicious, which makes me very happy. It's early and the ears will probably get a little larger, so there's no big rush to harvest all of it right now. It will be happening soon, however. We had our corn alongside this Grilled Halibut with Lemon-Caper Vinaigrette. I didn't take a picture of mine, so I swiped this one off the internet.


This is a recipe from our diet, and it was super easy. A few weeks ago, I bought a large halibut fillet while they were on sale. We had half right away, and then I froze the other half, and we ate it last night. It was simple and good. I grilled the halibut on a grill pan, and then ladled the vinaigrette over the top and sprinkled it with some chives. So tasty. I love a recipe that's simple enough to do in the RV. 

And the corn...mmm, mmm, mmm. I got a different seed this year, called "Sweetness." I chose it because it is an early-ripening variety. This is the image from the Territorial Seed website:


So yummy. We're going to have a lot of corn. For sure, I want to make some of my favorite corn chowder...definitely not a diet food...and then most of it will get frozen or eaten. I'm still debating making some roasted corn salsa from it, but I might have made enough salsa for the year.

Okay, so with yesterday so busy and errands already run this morning, my day is shaping up to be a mostly sewing day. I'm working on the top-stitching for my challenge piece, and I'm hoping to get it to binding stage by the end of the day. Aside from picking up Smitty, there isn't much more on the agenda. It'll be nice to spend some quality time in the sewing room.

5 comments:

Barbara said...

As anyone who has ever been around a cat for any length of time well knows, cats have enormous patience with the limitations of the humankind. ~ Cleveland Amory

Quilting Babcia said...

I hope Smitty got a double helping of his favorite treats when he returned home followed by a healthy pinch of catnip! Ah, halibut, the food of kings, how we miss it.

piecefulwendy said...

I wondered if I was a day behind again. Now I might be caught up! Glad you have all the fun tasks done and crossed off the list for the week. Ha! Your embroidery looks great!

Magpie's Mumblings said...

Ah, poor Smitty. I do hope Sadie doesn't rub it in TOO much that she got to stay home! And corn - my downfall this time of year...and it shows on the bathroom scales too...sigh.

Susan said...

Smitty has my sympathies. I hate getting my teeth cleaned too. Your corn looks delicious. Makes my mouth water just looking at it.