8/6/21

End of the Line

There was a lot to do in town yesterday. I didn't need to leave until noon, however, and so there was more time than expected to get some sewing done. I was able to make some progress on the latest Heartland Barn block, finishing most of the barn and the quilt block there.


I learned something with this. Take a look at the quilt block. Using the same color orange floss throughout, I reversed the direction of the satin stitch in the various "patches." It looks as if I was using two different colors of floss. It's the same effect you see on baseball fields when they are mowed in different directions. 

So, now I've moved my hoop, and I'll be finishing the tippy-top of the barn, and then moving on to the tree on the right side. 


And then, there was plenty of time to finish off the quilting on the Dream Big panel. My quilting day started with a fairly large section. I'd meant to try quilting either a butterfly or a dragonfly earlier, and so it seemed like I'd better snatch this opportunity before I ran out of space. Can you see him?


The area around him was filled in with a swirly vine. As I've moved to the outer edge of the panel, it's been harder to see where the edges of the flower petals are. In some cases, I just chose a place and stitched a boundary before filling in.


On this next one, I was trying to copy a motif from a book. I didn't really like how it was looking, and so I started filling in with more "humps" until I was satisfied. I like my friend KC's take on this: "If you don't like where you're going with it, just throw more thread at it." Certainly, I've thrown a lot of thread at this panel.


From there, only one larger section was left. Here, I was trying to get my feather to branch off in different directions. 


And then, there was just one small section left where I filled in with another wavy line grid.


And then it was finished!


I took a couple of shots from the side to show you the texture.


Here's how it looks from the back.


And here's a shot from the side.


I'm hoping I still have a large enough piece of the pastel batik backing to use for the binding. If not, I'm sure I have something else I can use. 

There was just enough time left in the morning to get myself cleaned up, dressed, and out the door. I got my monthly pedicure, which I deserved after sitting for a perm earlier in the week. Then I had several errands to run before I got home. I needed bird seed from the feed store, and I also found some needed mason jars there. Jars and lids have been scarce and expensive in these pandemic times, and so finding boxes of both wide and regular mouth was a score! There were a few other things to do before I got home too. When I came through the door, I noticed Smitty sitting in his favorite spot on our deck. The deck is cool on his tummy, and he's there in the shade of a tree. From this spot, he can survey his territory and keep an eye on things.


He waits here for Sadie to scare up a gopher, which she brings and drops in front of him. Think of it as both the best of times, and the worst of times, depending on your point of view.

Okay, so I'm about to get very busy in the kitchen. We have a beach trip planned for next week. I'm doing most of the cooking ahead, and so I want to spread it out over the next couple of days. There's also some housekeeping and laundry to do. Despite all of that, there should be plenty of time to get the binding sewn on Dream Big. I'll take that with me when we go. Probably, I should make up another slow-stitching piece too. And if there's still time, I'll get back to my challenge piece.

Rain was in our forecast for last night, but none came. The sky is clouded over this morning, and so we may get some rain yet. If the weather stays dry, it'll be time to get out and hoe some more weeds. Also, I expect there are zucchini and cucumbers to harvest. The life of a quilter/farmer/gardener/cat concierge is never dull.

23 comments:

Barbara said...

To quilt is human. To finish is divine. ~ Unknown

Mary C said...

Will you be able to pick the corn before your trip?

Donna said...

Your stitching is gorgeous on that quilt. Beautiful job!

dgs said...

Sounds like a perfect day happy toes and all. Have fun in your beach trip.

MissPat said...

Your Dream Big panel turned out fantastic. I just can't bring myself to try one. I think many FMQ instructors like Angela Walters and Christine Cameli say that if you don't like how a motif looks, just add more quilting. The Dream Big panel has so much going on, you don't notice the occasional bobble. It will be interesting to see how big the cukes and zucchini get while you are gone.
Pat

Stitches said...

Your Dream Big panel is absolutely beautiful. You have done a great job on it. I just wish I had the nerve to quilt something like this!!

Julierose said...

The quilting texture on your DB panel is exquisitely done!! Simply beautiful...
great job on it...
Hugs, julierose

Anonymous said...

The Dream Big panel is absolutely amazing! There is so much depth & dimension to it and the colors are so pretty. Beautiful work!
Smitty looks comfortable on the deck enjoying the outdoors.
A beach trip sounds like fun. Hope you have good weather for it.

Teresa F.

gpc said...

Beautiful, beautiful. I was blown away when you did your all-white sampler some time ago, and I am blown further away now. I made your refrigerator pickles today from farmers' market fare; have not tasted them yet, waiting patiently . . . tap tap. Sounds like Sadie still has a crush on Smitty. Some pretty awesome gifting going on there.

Jenny said...

Fabulous quilting on your panel, I can only dream longingly of doing such work myself. Enjoy your trip to the beach, it's always fun to get away for a short trip.

piecefulwendy said...

Who knew changing the direction of the floss would do that?! Smitty is looking handsome as he looks over his estate. Hope all your gardening and food prep goes well!

Susan said...

The Dream Big panel quilting turned out fabulous. Just seeing the different sections each day was interesting and I wondered how it was going to look at the end. Totally different than what I thought it would end up looking. Great job.

Magpie's Mumblings said...

I was going along enjoying reading about the different additions to your quilt and then....THEN.....THEN!!!!!!!!!!!..... I saw the finished quilt. Oh my. Talk about spectacular! You have outdone yourself this time. The texture is amazing. Well done!!

Kate said...

The quilting on that panel is just spectacular! I always feel like a slug after reading how much you do in the garden, the canning and the quilting.

Karrin Hurd said...

Your quilting on the panel is gorgeous! I have one of those that I haven't started yet.

Deb A said...

Wow! Your quilt and the quilting are just stunning. Have a great vacation and hopefully it is a nice and relaxing time.

Kim said...

Oh my goodness, your Dream Big Flower is amazing! Your quilting is sublime. Enjoy your little beach holiday. You certainly deserve it after all your busyness.

CathieJ said...

I love your embroidery and your quilting is gorgeous! Enjoy your trip. Stay safe.

Miaismine said...

Thank you so much for sharing about the orange floss! I never knew that! Your Dream Big is stunning - a work of art - truly beautiful!

Andree G. Faubert said...

Hi Barbara, Your Dream Big panel is wonderful. What a great way to play with FMQ. I've seen the panel but wasn't a fan, but with the stitching on it, it looks amazing. Congrats! If you have a chance, please feel free to link up to Free Motion Mavericks! Have a great beach trip.

Melisa- pinkernpunkinquilting said...

Your embroidery is just beautiful and the quilting on Dream Flower is stunning. Happy quilting

Cheryl's Teapots2Quilting said...

The floral panel quilt turned out nice.

Vicki W said...

The quilting on your panel looks great! Yes, I'm behind reading. We didn't have internet at our first vacation spot and I almost needed valium to get through it. I need to work on that!