7/1/21

Some More Progress

As I mentioned yesterday, there is a long list of things to accomplish before Sunday, when we leave on a camping trip for a few days. I forgot to mention taking the kitties to the vet for their annual check-ups (Friday) and a pedicure (Saturday). I was supposed to get the pedicure today, but then my nail tech needed to make the change. It was decidedly inconvenient for me, but I'll still have my toes done for our boating days to come. But, hey, changing the appointment gave me time for grocery shopping today, and you know how happy I am when I have to go to the grocery store. Not.

So our first task for the day yesterday was to pick cherries. They weren't as ripe as we hoped they'd be, but they're ripe enough for what I'm doing with them. We picked just enough so I could make Cherry Salsa today. It has lots of vinegar, and jalapenos, and bell peppers, and onions. I figure cherries a little on the tart side will be just fine for that. 

My other plans for them also include lots of sugar and/or vinegar, and so they're fine for cooking and canning. We'll pick them as we go, leaving them on the tree as long as we can. They might still be good when we get back from our camping trip, but I'm taking no chances. My fear is that (a) the critters will eat them, or (b) they'll be too wormy to use. And if they aren't...we'll just pick more, and I'll can more. Or maybe we'll just eat them off the tree until they make us sick. Honestly, that last way is my favorite way. 

I absolutely love cherries. It puts me in mind of visits with my grandmother (the quilter in the family), who had two cherry trees. One was a Bing, and I'd climb up in the tree and eat the Bings, telling myself they were my favorites. Then, I'd climb up the other tree, a Royal Anne, and eat those, and then I was sure the Royal Annes were my favorite. Only then, I'd return to the Bing, and I'd say, yeah...these are definitely my favorite. And then I'd return to the Royal Anne...and, you get the picture. Great memories of her farm.

So back in the sewing room, I worked and worked and worked at the Sonora Desert quilt. It's hard to keep the colors straight, and so I'm trying to get it all sewn together before we leave. I'm afraid I'll be hopelessly lost with respect to the colors if I have to wait until we're home again. When I started yesterday, I first needed to switch out one of the pieces where I'd used the wrong color. 


You can see where I drew in a second line. It's a little hard to see the color differential when I'm looking at it through the hazy vellum. Also, it's a subtle change of color.


When it was changed out, it looked like this, and I like that much better.


And then I just worked my way across until I had it this far. 


Again, you can see I've used the wrong purple in one of the mountain layers. And I hated to have to make the change because of the little corner of fabric on the right lower corner. It was harder to take this out and make it right than the first switch had been.


Nevertheless, I got 'er done, and I like it better now.


I was way past being tired of sewing by that time. Here's where I left it.

There are still four vertical strips to add, and then it will be finished. I can't say I'm particularly happy with this piece. I was thinking about it last night though, and I had a sudden inspiration about how to bring it to life. I won't tell you what I'm planning, but if it works, it will be a big improvement. Also, I keep reminding myself that this is an experiment. Nothing ventured, nothing gained.

Okay...so grocery shopping. Then canning. And then, I'm hoping I'll get the rest of the quilt finished today. Also, we'll pick more cherries. Cherry Salsa today...Sweet Cherry Pie Filling tomorrow. And with my not-as-ripe-as-they-should-be cherries, the cherry pie filling will probably be just right.

8 comments:

Barbara said...

When you do what you love, the seemingly impossible becomes simply challenging, the laborious becomes purposeful resistance, the difficult loses its edge and is trampled by your progress. ~ Steve Maraboli

Quilter Kathy said...

I am enjoying following your experiment! Each time you find a problem I don't see it... but then you "fix" it and I say ooooh that does look better!

piecefulwendy said...

Sonora is coming along really well. Enjoy those cherries!

Julierose said...

Lovely cherries...you got quite a few picked.
Your Sonora Desert piece is coming together really well...the colors are really great.
Nice work hugs, Julierose

Edith said...

I love your desert piece. I think you’ll be surprised when you add inn features and shades with quilting. Have fun on vacation.

Magpie's Mumblings said...

I'm so much enjoying watching your progress with this piece - it's a process I've never tried and would like to. Would give me an additional option for my landscapes I think. I wonder...just out of curiosity.....what would adding a layer of tulle or fine netting do? You could experiment with different colours/shades of it and see if you like the effect.
And cherries - I so envy you. We bought some at the store a week or so ago and they were awful. No taste whatsoever. Probably too soon in the season but the looked so good.

Vroomans' Quilts said...

The birds get the cherries before we can and I am sure they enjoy them. I am sure you will make your piece shine. I like where it is going already.

Kate said...

My Guy really likes the Rainier Cheeries, but they are hard to find here. The desert is coming together. You've done a great job with the fabric choices.