7/15/21

Lemon Yellow Sun

It was my last canning project, at least for now. I spent yesterday morning pitting cherries. When I realized a summer journey next year would mean no canning, I knew I needed more cherries. Yes, more, more, more! If there are cherries next year, they will be for the birds and squirrels. We're hoping for a journey to Alaska. That border with Canada will have to open first, but that's a long ways off. We'll stick in the present for now. 

When I was finished with the cherries, I had four more pints of cherries in syrup, bringing my total to ten pint jars. That oughta hold us.


While those were processing, I got to work squeezing another two bags of lemons. The homemade lemonade didn't last nearly long enough, and so I wanted more of that too. Yes, more, more, more! It must have been my day for more. There were a couple more lemons rolling around in the vegetable crisper. I supplemented my two bags for one pitcher of lemonade, and another 2 cups of juice in the freezer for the next time.


When my kitchen tasks were finished, I headed into the vegetable garden. I needed at least one small zucchini for last night's dinner, and I knew there was one in the garden ready for harvest. As I looked over my plant, I realized the one on my mind had nearly gotten away from me. For good measure, I harvested two more than probably only had about an hour to go before they would grow into two things that could eat Los Angeles.


And, of course, once zucchini starts, it never quits. There are lots of little babies out there. I make a good marinated zucchini salad that uses the smallest of the zucchini. It tastes good, and it keeps the zucchini from ganging up on humanity.

Okay, so I had one housekeeping task to do, and then I could get back to sewing. It was time to get back to work on the Sonora Desert piece. As I was working on this, I knew I had a piece of gold fairy frost fabric in my stash, and I thought the quilt needed a focal point. I had in mind to create an inset circle of sunshine. When I held the gold fairy frost up to the background, it seemed a little dull compared to what I had pictured in my mind's eye.


Fairy frost comes in all colors, and so I went online to see if I could find one that was a little brighter. Fabric.com could sell me a yellow fairy frost, and so I ordered a yard of that. It took about a week to arrive.


I liked how that looked a lot better.

I'm going to use metallic threads to quilt and liven this up, and so I picked through my metallic thread spools and came out with all of these colors. I won't use all of them. I'll just choose as I go.


And then I needed to decide on what size to make the sun. A used wide-mouth mason jar lid was just about right.


Okay...now for the scary part. Sadie was at my side.

Don't worry...I'll purrtect you!


My plan was to make an inset circle. You can see how I do this by reading a tutorial from when I took Dawn White's class several years ago. Although Dawn White taught my class, this is the original technique of Dale Fleming, who wrote this book:


I won't re-invent the wheel, but you can read my old post right here for the details about how this works. It's super simple to do. I first made a freezer paper template and then decided where the circle would be.


Then, sucking in my breath, I cut a hole in the background piece. I've only ever done this on a solid piece of fabric. I wasn't at all sure how this would work with all those seams and threads.


But there it is. Sorry little circle. Your services won't be needed any longer, but you can apply for unemployment.


And then I proceeded with the glueing, sewing, and trimming. I happen to like this Fons & Porter glue stick. It was a little messy with so much fraying and with so many seams, but it worked just fine.


When it was finished and I flipped it over, it looked like this. I wish I'd moved the sun just a tad to the right so that the right edge didn't line up with that seam. It makes the right side look more straight than round, but I believe I'll be able to fix that when I do the quilting. 


So, phew! That was scary. After that, I squared it up and added a narrow stop border.


And then the batik border from my stash. I'm using the same fabric for the quilt back.


When it was sandwiched for quilting, I stopped for the day.

Okay, so the window washer guy is coming today, which means I'm going to stay out of his way by spending the day in my windowless sewing room. The window washer guy has been washing our windows for more than 30 years, and so he practically feels like family. It'll be nice to have clean windows, but even nicer to spend the day sewing. 

It's been a busy couple of weeks. I'm looking forward to a day without any major tasks on my to-do list. And I'm excited to get going on this quilting. I'm hoping the metallic thread won't give me too much trouble, and I know a couple of tricks to make it a little more cooperative. I like this Sonora Desert piece better than I did before adding the sun and the borders, but I still think it needs something to liven it up. The metallics could be just the thing. Time will tell. And, if not, well...it's just fabric. Nothing ventured, nothing gained. 

16 comments:

Barbara said...

Far away there in the sunshine are my highest aspirations. I may not reach them, but I can look up and see their beauty, believe in them, and try to follow where they lead. ~ Louisa May Alcott

Mary said...

I am really liking your outer border and it fits so well with your fabrics, I am sure that is why you picked it. This is coming along wonderfully, metallic with add the spark you need.

Oh, I want to go with you to Alaska but will have to just read and enjoy your travels. Stitch everything you love.

Quilter Kathy said...

Way to be brave... I was holding my breath while I was reading!
Looks fabulous!
Also... I laughed out loud about zucchini ganging up on humanity!

MissPat said...

I used to make zucchini relish and zucchini pickles back in the day when I could actually grow vegetables and was into canning. And I had a great zucchini bread recipe where you squeezed the water out of the zucchini, so the bread was not so dense. I think I would have just appliqued the sun on top of the piece and not bothered with the cut-out, but I suppose all those seams makes the background pretty thick.
Pat

Quilting Babcia said...

Adding the sun to the Sonoran desert project made all the difference in the interest factor. Looking forward to seeing the effect the metallic quilting thread will have on the quilted finish. Love your batik border too.

Barbara said...

Just so you know webfabrics.net carries ALL the fairy frosts. Sadly for me Carly closed the brick and mortar store right as covid started. Fortunately for all her fans she decided to keep the online store going.

Vroomans' Quilts said...

Oh, oh, oh, I love this piece! Metallics for sure will make this dance. My friend who comes's to quilt Monday - her husband works a local produce farm and the workers get to take the 'odds' and over picked. I get lots of veggies!

Christine said...

Wow! What a difference a bit of sun makes....

piecefulwendy said...

Any idea about how many lemons you use? I'm not sure I've seen bags of lemons in my grocery store (depends on which one I go to). You can never have enough cherries, at least that's the thought around here by some - haha! Sonora is looking great! I haven't tried the inset circle thing yet, but it's on my list.

Ioleen said...

You are a lot braver than I am. Love the addition of the sun. Hubby and I have been to Alaska twice. You will enjoy. As of today, the Canadian government is planning on opening the border with the US sometime in August.

Soapstone Quilts said...

Your quilt is coming along beautifully & your bravery shines in that lovely sun. Thanks so much for sharing the link to the zucchini recipe; I am trying it tonight!

Magpie's Mumblings said...

Oh my word - just the THOUGHT of cutting a hole in that project makes me need to have a little lie down! You're a brave woman! However, it was definitely the right choice! The sun made the whole thing come alive.

Beth said...

Oh, that border! Yes!

Cheryl's Teapots2Quilting said...

A lady at quilt guild taught that method of applique Thursday night. I knew I'd seen it somewhere else before. Maybe it was on your blog. I think I even tried it once. My youngest son and all my grandkids live in Alaska. I've always thought it would be fun to rent an RV and drive up one day.

Auntiepatch said...

OMG! I haven't been following you, like I did on email, so this quilt is new to me and it. Is. Lovely! I love it! Great ob!

Kristin said...

I lived in the Eastern part of Alaska for 5 years. If you would like any ideas/advise for your travels next summer, I'd love to share. Especially if you like Russian food & would like to try some from a real live Russian. :-)