5/25/21

Grey Day

Certainly I shouldn't complain about the weather when we had such a lovely day at the beach. But I love complaining about the weather. Like all Oregonians, I can't resist complaining about the weather, no matter what. When it rains, we whine...it's so wet...so depressing...so cold! We're expecting much better weather and very warm temps next week. Then, count on it: We'll be whining that it's too hot! We, here in Oregon, are mostly boring. Heck, we even have a city named Boring. We never do anything as exciting as Broadway shows. Heck, our basketball team hasn't even won a championship since 1977! So we're left with just the weather to keep things exciting. Not. Thus, we whine. It's in our blood.

And all of that to say it was a dreary day yesterday. I had PT. Big whoop. I foolishly scheduled the appointment for noon, although in retrospect, that might have been the only time available. It kind of knocks out the best part of both the morning and the afternoon. So I didn't get into the sewing room until late in the day. When I arrived, I found these two taskmasters waiting with instructions.


I had the feeling Sadie had to box Smitty's ears before I arrived. He was looking rather contrite.


He left eventually to nap in the family room. Sadie issued her instructions and then curled up for a nap in her little kitty bed. The kitty bed is on the table where she can keep an eye on what I'm doing and shout corrections when necessary.


My first job was to top-stitch the shamrocks on An Irish Blessing.


That didn't take long.


When it was finished, it was time to get to work on my challenge piece. The prompt for this quilt is "Opposites Attract." I first needed to trace my design onto Heat 'n Bond. Here's a peek.


In addition to the black fabric, I'll be using these colors.


Just now, I realized my fabrics kind of go with the colors in the garden right now. Between rain showers, I was able to take a few pictures. Everything is pretty well drenched. These are the dark purple rhododendrons.


The heartbreaker peony is looking a little different. Do you think it will actually open this year?


I took some other pictures, but they were a little blurry in the low fading light of the day. I'll try again today.

We're expecting improving weather, although another rainy day is forecast for Thursday. My vegetables really need some warmth and sun if they're going to sprout. Today I'll continue working on my challenge project. It's laundry day too. Laundry and sewing go well together, and so that's pretty much how I'll spend my day.

9 comments:

Barbara said...

Rain is grace; rain is the sky descending to the earth; without rain, there would be no life. ~ John Updike

piecefulwendy said...

Well, I'm completely curious about your challenge piece. Could you sed some ideas my way? I'm drawing a complete blank. We have had hot, humid weather here, but this morning it is lovely and cool, and supposed to stay that way.

Diane Wild said...

We in Minnesota love to talk and whine about the weather also. Almost 80 yesterday and lucky to hit 60 today. WTH? Your flowers are lovely. So are the sewing projects. Sadie & Smitty, too.

MissPat said...

Oh, I think people complain and whine about the weather everywhere. Especially farmers and gardeners. We haven't had rain in over 3 weeks. It was 87 degrees yesterday and won't get out of the 50's on Friday. Must be all that supervision that makes you so productive.
Pat

Anonymous said...

We miss Oregon a lot. Moved from Salem to the foothills east of Sacramento in the middle of December, 2018, to be near our family (son with his son, daughter with her daughter). Glad to be near family, but we will always miss Salem as we loved our home there, the weather & the slower pace of life. I suspect that since Portland 'discovered' Salem its not so slow anymore, though! We are now retired & on a daily basis are so shocked at how RUDE drivers are, how obnoxious people are to one another, without a care in the world. Makes me sad to see it. But at least we are in the lives of our family here and enjoying that!
Deb

Carolyn said...

I'm thinking the dark Rhodie picture is of prize quality ! Find a contest, enter it!!!! WooHoo!
C

gpc said...

Greetings from a fellow all-weather complainer -- we had a 40 degree drop this weekend from too hot to too cold. And to add salt to the wound, my rhododendron is not as far along as yours. But at least it is trying to flower. I am concerned about your peony . . .

Magpie's Mumblings said...

I think the weather is a subject of complaint pretty much everywhere. I know it certainly is here. Right now it's lovely and warm here (need rain tho') but the weatherman/woman is predicting the need for coats again in a few days. I think those poor people must be the most hated on the planet!

Shirley said...

Haha I thought only the Dutch were known for weather talks and complaining about it. When we were on holiday in the USA the first thing you ask visitors: “How are you?” Out here we start with: “Hi, the weather is bad isn’t it.” Love your instructors.