4/26/21

Hot Blooded

Just after I finished yesterday's post, I went downstairs and acknowledged to Mike that I was feeling a little puny. He said he was too. He never moved beyond puny stage, but I ended up feeling very sick for the whole day. Even taking tylenol, I was still running a fever of 101°. Bummer. It seemed completely appropriate that I was stitching the skull and crossbones on Calendula Patterdrip's Cottage.

I bagged the idea of doing any housework, and decided to give myself a nothing but sewing day. And, honestly, who doesn't love a good excuse to bag housework? So once the morning routine was finished, I headed down to the sewing room where I was in the process of trimming my half square triangles. 

I must have been off in my brain (is anyone surprised?) when I did the cutting for these blocks. As I sewed the log cabins together, I came across at least half a dozen that were cut too short, and needed recutting. But I was feeling really terrible by then, and so I didn't get very far with my sewing. I'd hoped to get these finished, but I only got as far as the first two corners.

From there, I crashed on the couch with my Warmie, and slept for most of the afternoon. 

I'm feeling quite a bit better this morning, and so I should be able to finish these, and then get started on the star blocks. Fortunately, I get to start sewing the quilt blocks together before I need to start making a million flying geese for the border.

Okay, so I slept the afternoon away. I was really quite sick, and nothing else productive was going to happen. Toward day's end, I took this picture of my little seedlings. Most everything has come up, although a few of the sunflowers never germinated. I think the seeds might have been too old. I planted lots of sunflowers, and so I'll just go with what I have.

The zucchini is getting large enough that I'll probably move it to the greenhouse, and maybe repot it. We're not planning to put in the garden for another three weeks or so, and those will take over the laundry room if I leave them that long. Six of the 12 pickling cucumber seeds germinated, and that was the number I was hoping for. 

The biggest disappointment has been the cantaloupe. Of the 12 seeds I planted, only one has germinated. A couple of days ago, I dug up one of the seeds. It looked exactly as it did when I planted it. Reading the seed packet, I did everything right, except possibly keeping the soil warm enough. The packet suggests keeping the pots on a "heat mat" for uniform soil temperature. I don't have anything like that, but I'm planning to put them in my bread proofing box and setting it to a warm temperature. Maybe that will get them going. It's worth a try.

Looking out the living room window this morning, this was our view. The Andromeda is putting on its best show right now.

Some other new blooming things are coming along now too, although I still don't see any buds on the poppies. Smitty is enjoying the view. Kind of gives you whisker envy, doesn't it?

Sadie just likes being wrapped up in a quilt in the morning. 


So I'll get back to my sewing today, and maybe try to reset the housework calendar. There is much to do, but I'm still not 100%. I expect I'll feel better as the day goes on. We're hoping for a little sunshine today, and I'll get out and take pictures of every blooming thing. Next up, though, breakfast and slow-stitching. A little food will probably help too.

12 comments:

Barbara said...

It is often when night looks darkest, it is often before the fever breaks that one senses the gathering momentum for change, when one feels that resurrection of hope in the midst of despair and apathy. ~ Hillary Clinton

Ruth L. said...

You know that "puny" response is confirmation that your body now knows how to deal with that stinkin' virus. Not that a lack of that reaction means the opposite, but you have definite verification. I thank God, all those years of big pharma researching the mRNA vaccine as a solution to SARS, and our former administration (he who shall not be named) to get us to this stage so soon. Good for you!

MissPat said...

Sleeping it off is often the best solution to many situations. I trust you'll be bopping along shortly and your puny day will be but a memory.
Pat

gpc said...

Yay on the second vaccine, no matter the cost, and I know you agree it was so worth it! It snowed here this morning and I, like Sadie, and staying wrapped up in a quilt. I envy you your view of flowers. :)

Darlene S said...

Good to hear you are starting to feel better. I hope you feel 100% later today. You are a trooper. I look forward to seeing more photos of your garden.

Kathy said...


My second jab knocked me on my butt for 3 days. Sleeping through most of them really seemed to help; hopefully it will have done the same for you.
Try soaking your canteloupe seeds in water overnight. Softening the shell and giving them a bit of extra moisture this way will often do the trick. It's possible you got a bad batch of seeds; see if you can germinate any of that packet in moist paper towels- if they sprout you can pop them into soil. If they don't, you can notify the seed company.
I love Calendula Patterdrip's Cottage! If I thought I would actually finish it, I would put this on my list. My list, however, is currently about a half mile long, single spaced, small font, so I'm going to enjoy the process vicariously via your posts.

Julierose said...

My 2nd shot resulted in the same reaction...I ended up going to bed...not much else you can do--just sleep it away...
Glad you are feeling better...
hugs, Julierose

piecefulwendy said...

Hopefully the worst is behind you now, and you'll feel better. Your Andromeda is gorgeous. How fun to look out and see such beauty!

Nancy in IN said...

Sorry you didn't feel well. Pray you feel much better soon. Looks like you will have plenty to take of in your garden. I don't plant until after last frost day--mid May. I used to wait until school let out as I taught--end of May. My dad said nothing will grow if the soil isn't warm. I used that as my excuse!!
Have a great day.

SJSM said...

Don’t you hate it when you cut wrong? It amazes me with all the checking and rechecking that errors still happen. Let’s hope they are all small pieces of fabric and only a few. The garden here is growing. The beans are coming up and the transplants are setting root and getting stronger. We had rain yesterday, just enough to get things wet so not watering the lawn or garden. We hope this staves off the fire season a wee bit longer. It is a forgone conclusion this year is labeled a "severe drought" with a strong possibility of "extreme drought". . Not enough rain or snow pack.

You and Mike had the same reaction as hubby and I. In our case I was a bit punky and hubby had the fever and lingering fatigue.

Jan said...

Many years ago when I had a garden, I found a book at the library called "The Seed Starters Handbook". The seeds were soaked for a few hours, then placed on a damp paper towel, which was rolled up, and put in a plastic bag. The bag was then kept under an ordinary incandescent lamp for warmth. The paper towel was unwrapped and checked for germinated seeds. It was fast! Sometimes in 2 days.

QuiltGranma said...

Love Smitties silhouette! So sweet!