4/5/21

Busy Day

We had such a nice Easter, and it was wonderful getting back together with family again after being apart for so many months. We were entertained by the squirrel population in Erik and Mae's yard. Their bird feeders are hung from their plum tree, and squirrel "shields" are there to prevent squirrels from climbing down from the trees and eating the bird seed. Here's how well that works:

It's a slippery slope for them to get from the branch to where the seed is. Once there, they grab a hunk of seed, and then hang from their rear feet while they eat it. They're really pretty amazing...and persistent!

We had such a good visit...relaxing, and with great food. Mae whomped up some wonderful appetizers and a couple of delicious salads. Her real specialty is her deviled eggs. She makes them in all kinds of fancy flavors, toppings, herbs, and spices. It was like having two dinners. Erik smoked some beef ribs. He first slathered them with mustard and a rub, and then brushed some of my homemade spicy plum barbecue sauce. Mmm, mmm, mmm.

My contribution was this full-sized skillet cookie. As I mentioned yesterday, this recipe came from the "Cooking with Cast Iron" cookbook by America's Test Kitchens, but you can find the recipe right here

It was Matthew's birthday celebration, and so all the leftovers went home with him. Such a wonderful way to spend the afternoon and evening. We were all happily fatter when we went home.

Earlier in the day, I spent some time satin stitching the barn quilt block on the first Heartland Barns block.

And then I planted the lettuce seeds. They're covered with plastic wrap to keep them wet. They're in the greenhouse, so I really hope the squirrels don't bother them. They didn't bother the lettuce last year, so I figure it's worth a try. I can bring them inside if I need to, but I'd rather not. 

I planted a red leaf lettuce, a butter lettuce, and a "salad mix," whatever that entails.

When that was finished, I walked around to see if there was anything new. The flowers on the daphne are opening up now. They're tiny...about the size of a dime, but with the fragrance of a much larger flower.

Also, the peonies are getting taller. This one looks as if it's forming buds.

With such a busy day, Smitty was 'zhausted by the end of the day. Shhhhhhh...please let sleeping cats lie.

So today will be a running around day. I have PT at noon, and then I'm going to haul Big Bertha into the shop for her maintenance and adjustment spa treatment. I need to pick up an item at the grocery store, and then I'll be home. Lately, those kinds of outings have been very tiring. I don't know if it's old age, pandemic stress, or just traffic that wears me out, but I usually need a nap when I get home.

First though, I'm going to attempt to use this egg mold my friend Wendy sent me. Isn't this cute? 

I have no expectation mine will turn out as cute as this one on the box, but I'm going to give it a try. Whether good, bad, or ugly, I'll take a picture to share with you tomorrow. And, thanks, Wendy. So funny, cute, and thoughtful of you.

We've been having some lovely weather. Looking at the forecast, rain has been predicted for a few days away all week long. But then the day comes and it turns out to be beautiful. I could get used to these sunny days. This morning is sunny and clear again. We haven't seen the mountains for a while, but they are standing out clearly this morning.

So slow-stitching is next. I'm going to need some relaxation this morning to gird up my loins for the rest of the day. I hope you all had a nice weekend and that the day ahead is enjoyable.

6 comments:

Barbara said...

In family life, love is the oil that eases friction, the cement that binds closer together and the music that brings harmony. ~ Eva Burrows

Lyndsey said...

It's lovely to hear that you were able to celebrate Matthew's birthday as a family. The ribs look really tasty. Kathryn and Lucy both have birthday's this month but we can only meet up outside at the moment so we're hoping the weather gets better. Hope the PT goes well. I think all the reasons for needing a nap apply but don't forget to factor in the pain you've had over quite a period of time.

MissPat said...

Looks like your family Easter/birthday dinner was a success. Interesting that Mae has a variety of deviled egg recipes. I love devil eggs but rarely make them since there are just the two of us. isn't it so nice to see new flowers nearly every day. Your peonies are way ahead of mine. I'm making some headway with the hairy bittercress, but probably running out of time to all of it.
Pat

Vroomans' Quilts said...

Drooling over those ribs!! I could use a hair appointment for my 'short' cut which occurs every 6 months - yes, doesn't grow like it use to. The furkids have their annual vet trip this week and an appt for my Mom (not to the vet).

Carole @ From My Carolina Home said...

Oh those ribs look scrumptious!! I hope the squirrels stay out of your lettuce.

SJSM said...

You had a lovely day. It is good to get with the family again. I’m back to a spin (cycle) class. I probably will need a nap afterwards. This is the first for over a year. I’m way out of shape. My hope is the mask won’t be too stifling and I can breathe well enough to last the 45 minutes. The gym opened last summer, then closed during the winter spike for 2 ½ months. With me having the vaccine and the guns protocols, it will be fine. In the time the gym has been open from last year to now, there was one positive person from the gym. They do an amazing job of hygiene, ventilation, number of people in the gym and social distancing.