3/16/21

Brave New Laptop

You might remember we sprang for a new laptop while we were traveling. I couldn't really use it on the road because it wasn't set up with some items we needed from home. Now Mike-the-Engineer-Who-is-Really-Smart-About-this-Sort-of-Thing has it all set up and I'm experimenting, writing a blog post for the first time. So far, I have successfully taken pictures from my camera, edited them, created a folder, and now I'm writing a blog post. If at some point, I come to abrupt halt without finishing, you'll know it's because I'm on the floor engaged in a tantrum 3-year-old style. Nothing gets my hackles up faster than computer problems. So here we go.

Before we left, I stitched and finished February's block for the Posies quilt:


And March's block:


My border fabrics are chosen to coincide with the month's color for the Rainbow Scrap Challenge. When Saturday rolls around, I'll link up to:


Okay, and then it was time to head off to the clinic for vaccine #1. It was about a 45 minute drive. I knew you'd want to see this tile work on the clinic walls. Can you see this pattern in a quilt?


After checking in, we rode an elevator to the second floor. The elevator had this helpful graphic posted.
 

I don't know about you, but I'm a little worried about that guy in the lower left corner. 

So we had just a short wait, and then we were poked. Then we were taken to a separate room and handed timers to count down the 15 minutes until we were free to leave. They gave us our vaccine cards, scheduled our appointments for the second vaccine, and we were free to go. Phew! That was so easy! The whole system was stream-lined, efficient, friendly, and hopeful. Our gratitude was immense.


Neither of us had any problem with the first vaccine (we got Moderna), except for a sore spot at the injection site. We went to get diesel when we were finished. As we pulled into the gas station, I started getting a little asthmatic wheezing. Fortunately, I had an inhaler with me. Two puffs, and I was fine. I can't say for sure the vaccine caused it, but I haven't used my inhaler for months. It seems too much of a coincidence. 

So this morning we're all in our places. Smitty is snoozed out on Mike's lap.


I tucked Sadie in when I left her to write this post. It seems things are pretty much back to normal for these two.


While we were waiting for our shots yesterday, I made up my grocery list, and we'll be doing our grocery shopping today. After that, I think life will be pretty much back to normal for the two legged critters too. I still haven't done any weeding, but I'm hoping to get some done today or tomorrow. As for sewing, I have a couple more small quilts I want to get moved to the next stage, and I need to make a quilt back for the Charm Stars, finished while we were traveling. After that, I'll be ready to start on my challenge quilt for The Endeavourers. 

Okay, so one post written...no tears, and no cussing. Life is good. I hope things are going well at your end too.

18 comments:

Barbara said...

To err is human, but to really foul things up you need a computer. ~ Paul R. Ehrlich

Teri Russell said...

We were advised that after we have our second shot we have the cards stating when we got our shot laminated and take them with us whenever we travel. We're heading to Portland in September and they'll come along with us.

Julierose said...

Congratulations on your 1st shots AND getting that hard-to-get 2nd appointment, too. (at least it was hard for us!!) Anyhoo...as of St Paddy's Day we will be fully immune...hoping my daughter can come to see us this weekend...she is still angling for her 1st shot appointment...CT just opened up 45 and older...
we oldsters got 1st jabs!!

Love the Posie blocks...so cute...glad you're not having reactions...
hugs, Julierose

Pam said...

Your husband is the sweetest-I noticed that on your trip and now drilling your buttons. Mine is the best also. Aren't we lucky to be so happy.
I am glad you recd your first poke and that the process was orderly and appropriate. I recd mine on Saturday-pfizer-my husband recd his last month. He described his as orderly as a German marching band. Mine, however, he described as someone yelling fire in an Alzheimer's home. It was a disorganized madhouse. I live in a really backwards rural area of Missouri where about 2/3 of the people don't believe in corona. It was pretty scary but I think I will survive-no after effects of the vaccine anyway. Your little scrap flowers are very darling.

MissPat said...

My second shot (Pfizer) is this Saturday. People we have talked to say they had more reactions to the second shot, but usually no more than a day or two. So we'll see.
We've been cold and windy since our short foray into spring last week, so no outdoor work has been done, but then precious little sewing has happened, either.
Pat

Linda M @ Pieceful Kingdom said...

Glad you were able to start the vaccine process. Hubby gets his first shot next Tuesday (Pfizer). Kiddo finished her doses in early February (she is a first responder). She got the Moderna and only had some swelling/sore arm for a day after the second shot. I'm hoping they open up the next age group here in TN soon so I can start the process! Take care!

Quilty Chaos said...

We're scheduled for our first doses of Moderna on Saturday, so I'll make sure my husband has an inhaler and that I'm the driver. He's always more allergic to things than I am. I'm super happy to get at least one dose before I have to travel, and we're getting them from CVS so even if my daughter-in-law goes into labor early, I should be able to reschedule to a store near where she is.

Katie said...

Computer problems are the WORST! I'm the one assigned to deal with those problems at home and my hubby always gets exasperated at my tantrums. As if, while sitting across the room, holding the TV remote, he somehow has any clue about the printer that has an attitude problem! I'm glad you got your vaccines with little trouble. I also got mine yesterday, and other than having it done in a vacant store at the mall (a few more people in one place than I think was wise...), it went smoothly. My arm feels like someone slugged a baseball into it, but overall a minor problem. I was able to sleep and work without trouble. But I took the day after the next appointment off (made before I left, as they had folks working the "room" - groups within the large space - making sure we all had it done before we left), just in case. I hope for the best, but prepared for the worst. I hope you also have a good second shot experience! But we both have medicinal cats, just in case!

Quilting Babcia said...

Since we were able to read your post and see the photos, I'd say the new laptop is a keeper! Everyone we know who has had the two-shot sequence says the second one was a lot harder to deal with as far as reactions go. Don't leave home without your inhaler.

Vroomans' Quilts said...

Those masks charts always get me, but I have seen some in reality. The J&J is suppose to be in our area next week and we are scheduled for an inhome visit/vaccine due to my mother's condition per her Dr's orders. And as her caretaker, I will get mine as well. Thank goodness I don't have to try and get her to a site - even once. Groceries are on my list for St Patty Day and then sewing away!

piecefulwendy said...

Yay for getting through the post on the new laptop without any tantrums; that wouldn't be a good way to start a relationship - LOL. Your blocks for RSC are pretty. The kitties look pretty chill.

Darlene S said...

Multi Congratulations. Good to hear you have your new laptop setup and were able to successfully do a blog post from it. And, super big congrats for Jab #1. Sorry about your reaction, but then I'm so glad to know you had an inhaler with you and were fine after using it.

Nancy said...

Everyone I know that had the shots got a bigger reaction after the second shot. My daughter who has never had any reaction to any shot got a reaction to her second shot (Moderna); Started with chills progressed to aches and pains and major headache that OTC would not touch for about 24 hours. She actually missed a day of work because the day after the shot she had a low grade fever.
I haven’t even attempted to schedule one yet. I am in the age range but figure others need it more than me. I just stay home and sew anyway. Since I worked in a wafer fab for years and wore masks all the time wearing a mask doesn’t bother me. I will probably try to get the J&J shot. I have read that they have had success with their first shot for Ebola so they have a known track record. Plus in my book one shot is better than two anytime. I hate how sick I feel after every shot I have ever had so I figure it I can work myself up to get one I am doing well.

Teresa said...

Happy for you to get your first shot. I am now fully vaccinated and honestly, even though I still wear the mask as instructed, I feel so free from the threat of getting the virus. Even had a couple of friends over to sit and sew this past week and we even hugged each other (they are fully vaccinated as well.)

Love your embroidered blocks, they are so sweet.

Cheryl's Teapots2Quilting said...

I got a new lap top last month. It was really easy to set up. Glad you got your's set up, too. I got my first shot this afternoon (Pfizer). No problems so far. We had to keep track of our 15 minutes ourselves (not even a clock around). I spent the time looking at the sonogram photos my daughter in law sent just as I was getting poked, and texting with her. I like the blocks from Jenny. I haven't done anything with my patterns from her (yet).

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

Those Posies blocks look like fun! A little bit of embroidery and some patchwork go so nicely together. Congratulations on getting that new laptop to work and also on getting your first vaccine shots. It's a good feeling to know so many of us are on the way!

The Joyful Quilter said...

Such sweet blocks for the Rainbow Scrap Challenge! Congrats on getting your 1st Covid vaccine. Here's hoping you continue to have no ill effects!

Kate said...

New computer set up is such a pain, it always feels good once you've got it all set and usable. Congrats on getting the first dose of the vaccine. I see your point about the guy on the lower left of the information sign, makes you wonder doesn't it? Your mini flower pots both turned out beautifully, looking forward to seeing the whole set come together.