2/3/21

Anniversary Narrows Hike

Oh my. What a great hike we did yesterday! We had so much fun. I'll tell you about the hike in just a second, but first, I give you the day's inchy.


It was another nice day of weather. We found several interesting hikes in our new hiking book, one of which was the Anniversary Narrows hike. The book told us that the narrows were located at the bottom of Lovell Wash, which drains out of the Muddy Mountains to the north. Borax was discovered in the area in 1921, and over the next seven years, the mine produced 200,000 tons. 

We were a little confused about finding the trailhead because we didn't realize the book was talking about a different entrance to the Lake Mead National Recreation Area. We drove about 30 miles to find it, including this two-mile rugged stretch just before finding the parking area.


There was another car there, although we saw no other signs of life, and we parked at the edge of this deep wash.


We could see evidence of mine tailings. It's a primitive trail with no signage, but the book described it well enough that we figured we were in the right place.


We set out heading uphill in the wash and encountered the most interesting geological formations right from the get-go.


We could see the opening to the mine shaft right away. There was a fallen down fence in front of it. We walked past at the beginning of the hike, but then decided to walk up and take a look on the way back.


Layer upon layer of sedementary rock can be seen here...all pushed up over eons of time.


We hiked up the wash about a mile before reaching the opening to the narrows.


It was the slot canyon of my dreams. Look at these fascinating formations!



As we reached the far end of the narrows (about 1/4 mile long), we had to do some scrambling. When we walked a few days ago, it made my shoulder hurt. For this hike, I kept the sling with me so I could use it if my arm was bothering me. It worked out pretty well. It gave me a place to hold my camera, and I could take it out of the sling when I needed to use my arm for scrambling.


Toward the end, I decided I'd done all the scrambling I could tolerate, and so Mike went the rest of the way and took a few pictures for me to see. We were nearly at the end when my tolerance gave out.



On the way back, I took a few more pictures of some of the interesting geology of the place.





There was evidence of the mining operation of nearly 100 years ago. Obviously, these rocks were placed by human hands, and it appears the many decades since have covered them over in layers of dirt.


In the middle of the image below, you can see what remains of a building foundation.


And there was other evidence of the mine's history in the remains of other structures and debris.


Walking up to see the opening to the mine shaft, we also discovered these natural bridges. You might think these are tunnels, but they are formed by rushing water, which makes them natural bridges.


Here's the opening to the mine. There is a fence cropped out of the image. We didn't go inside, since these old mine shafts are unstable and dangerous.


Driving back, we marveled at the beauty of the layers of mountain ridges.


We also noticed this earthen dam north of Lake Mead, and this resort community.


We stopped off at the "Sunset Overlook" for this panoramic view of Lake Mead and the surrounding area.


And a closer-up shot. I just love the layers of mountain ridges here.


And that was our hike.

We talked about doing more hiking today, but I think I need a day between these outings. I was in considerable pain last night, although the hike didn't seem that bad. Using the sling helped, but I need to pace myself better.

Today we may drive out to Boulder/Hoover Dam and the memorial bridge. We've visited before, but it's a magnificent structure and worth a second look. The next stitchery from Crabapple Hill is posted, and so that's what I'll be doing next. I hope those of you back east are digging out of the snow. Stay safe and warm, my friends.


21 comments:

Barbara said...

What lies behind us, and what lies before us are but tiny matters compared to what lies within us. ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

Frog Quilter said...

Wow what a FABULOUS POST. Loved all the rock formations. A little jealous I couldn’t see it in person.

Hope your shoulder gets better soon.

MissPat said...

What magnificent rock formations! We were far enough west of the storm that we only got 6", a little more than forecast. But I still haven't finished digging out my car. Was going to go to the grocery store, but that may wait until tomorrow.
Pat

Quilting Babcia said...

That was definitely a hike worth taking, and you got some fantastic photos. Sun is shining today after about 10 days of dreariness and sporadic snow and freezing rain. We're dug out of the foot of snow that fell over the past couple of days from the big nor'easter. Let spring come soon!

Cathy Smith said...

Thank you for bringing us along with you and Mike! I love your outings!

Magpie's Mumblings said...

Talk about incredible scenery! Those layers of rock formations are incredible. Methinks that was an arduous hike and it's no wonder you were sore afterwards.

Anonymous said...

Thanks so much for sharing these amazing pictures! All of us who follow your blog are so fortunate to be able to follow along wherever your journeys take you, through the awesome pictures you share...
Love those little inchies!
Take it easy today....
Sandra B
scb304@juno.com

Julierose said...

Just fascinating rock formations...what colors!! Thanks for sharing--sorry your shoulder began hurting again ;(((..maybe a resting day will help...
Your little inchie is really cute...
I am still (sigh) on that last butterfly--it stubbornly won't get finished somehow!! Want to move on to something else, but if I don't finish it will languish in my drawer forEVER!!
Take care hugs, Julierose

Nancy said...

Great pictures. I am so glad that you are able to get them loaded for our viewing pleasure. I hate to tell you that your shoulder will ache off and on for some time to come. Yes you are healing but it takes a long time for the bones to rebuild. Hmm...not as long as those rock formations but it may feel that long. I am eight month into the shoulder injury and I am glad to say that I am only sore some of the days and not all of them.

Lynette said...

Wow! This is a great share, Barb. Super cool slot canyon - you make me want to road trip out there and hike through it, too. Particularly since my mother grew up in Overton, NV. She despised it there, and I never heard her ever talk about anything cool like this being around. That makes me kinda sad. I would be totally like you guys, having to walk up to the entrance and poke around at the threshold a bit, but not wanting to actually go in. Fun share.

Susan C said...

Incredible photos! That is part of the country I haven’t visited...yet, so I appreciate being able to enjoy it through your pictures! Rest your shoulder so you’ll feel up to another hike.

Elaine Walker said...

OMG! What wonderful pics. Thanks for sharing them. I’m a little envious of all the travel you and Mike do. It’s wonderful that you are able to go. A nice way to spend retirement. Sure hope your should stops hurting soon. Take care and stay safe.

Jenny said...

Amazing photos of thse amazing rock formations, Mother Nature is wonderful! Thanks for taking us along on your hike. And you are probably right, you need a day off in between to rest your injuries.

Darlene S said...

Now that is an amazing hike. Sorry to hear you are hurting. I hope you can relax and pamper to stop the pain. You've been doing so well. Enjoy the geology. I love all those rock formations (sandstone too ??).

Vroomans' Quilts said...

Yes, pace yourself. Thank you for sharing such great photos so we can travel with you. Yes, 2 days of digging out and a day of winds to blow it all back.

SJSM said...

Well this blog post is a big hit! Look at all those comments. I too liked the slot canyon with all the layers. We passed by this area but now I think we need to slow down and stop to see the dam. We usually are in such a rush to get to our destination to be with friends. Even a day would be a way to admire the area. It would need to be in inter. I cannot take the heat in tee summer.

Dorothy said...

Fabulous pictures--I am sure that some "thread painter" artist/quilter will soon make a fabulous quilt using your pictures :-) It all boggles my mind. I am so happy that I am once again hanging onto your back bumper for this trip. Give Smitty & Sadie a pat for me

piecefulwendy said...

I have never hiked a slot canyon, so I enjoyed the photos. I assume the book tells you the type of hike (easy, difficult, etc.)? What fun to be able to explore the area while you are there. Borax was a staple in our household growing up; I've forgotten all about it!

Nancy in IN said...

Wow love the formations. Looks like a lot of quilt blocks. I love to visualize but am not good at actually making them; you are.
I would love to see in person, but doubt that will happen. Indiana is a long way and at this time we aren't traveling. We do have snow but not on the roads.
Safe travels.

QuiltGranma said...

Sure glad you were not hiking there when a rain storm hit, farther up the ravine/mountains, and washed you out! That sure was some fantastic rock formations!

Shelina (formerly known as Shasta) said...

Wow that is amazing scenery. Thanks for doing the hiking so we could see it from our chairs. I am planning on doing the crabapple stitcheries but I haven't started yet. So beautiful.