2/21/21

A Trip Back through Time

We decided to do a little driving around yesterday. My family technically lived in Oceanside when we were here, which is an adjacent from Vista beach-side community. Nevertheless, we were closer to Vista, inside the boundaries of the Vista Unified School District, subscribed to the local Vista Press newspaper, etc. Although our address was Oceanside, we considered ourselves Vista residents. 

Mike and I were on the hunt for some lunch yesterday. We spent a good part of our time pointing and announcing, "Oh, the so-and-so is still there." Or, "Isn't that where the so-and-so used to be?" Or, "Oh look...the old something-or-other is a something-else now!" And on it went. 

One such thing was the Jack in the Box restaurant. It was the very first fast food restaurant to come to our little town. I can't think of Jack in the Box without thinking of a dear friend from high school, Paul Solomon. He was so funny in every way. One night after marching band practice, we went to the Jack in the Box, and Paul ordered a Bonus Mac. Get it? It was hilarious coming from Paul at the time.


So we had some lunch and then took a little drive around. Mike wanted to see the former downtown area. One might refer to it as "old town" now, although I didn't see any such signs around. Originally, there was one main street through town. It might have been two lanes in both directions. Now, it has been split into two streets, each one way, heading in opposite directions. The streets used to be lined with family-owned businesses. I went to school with many of the kids whose parents owned the businesses. The businesses are all gone now, and the streets are lined with lots of restaurants.

Below is the Avo "playhouse," which used to be the Avo theater. It was the only theater in town. I had a friend I hung around with. She was really kind of a bad influence, and always up to mischief. We always went into the theater fully intending to get kicked out. My friend would always buy a box of jelly beans and start throwing them at other people. Yeah...I joined in...peer pressure, you know. We were about 13. But the point of the story is that we could get kicked out of the theater and be completely safe on the streets of Vista in the evening, while we waited for someone's parent to come pick us up at the designated time. 


Just down the road is the former (I think) First National Bank. This was where I opened my very first checking account at age 16. Having a checkbook with my own name on the checks was quite a thrill.


Now we were getting close to where I used to live. In the image below is Tri-City Hospital. My mom was a nurse, and she worked there. The structure is much larger now, but the original building is still in the middle, with more structures now clustered around it. She worked in the newborn nursery. The original structure was next to the road, and the three delivery rooms had high windows. She always checked to see if the delivery rooms were lit up to see if any babies were being born as we drove by. She'd judge how busy she expected her next shift to be depending on how many of the delivery rooms were lit. She worked at the hospital for around 15 years before she retired. She also died there many years later.


Although we've been to Vista several times over the years, I've been hesitant to look for our old house on Linda Drive in Thunder Hills. I worried the place would look slummy. We decided to brave it yesterday, and I have to say the old neighborhood didn't look too bad. The trees and landscaping have all grown up, and so it's a mature neighborhood by tree and shrub standards. 

There were so many cars parked on the roads and in driveways that it all looked kind of closed in and tightly packed in contrast to my memory of the place. And here's our old house. It appears to have some spider webs or angel hair left over from Christmas decor, or maybe as far back as Halloween. Or maybe it just looks like that all the time. Of course, it's been painted many times over since my folks sold it around 1976.


It doesn't look much different, although it has a different garage door. The wall and brick work my dad did, and the hedge he planted above the wall are all still there. My dad lovingly tended this yard, and it always looked good. Now weeds are growing through the bricks he laid in the parking strip next to the road. The flagpole he raised in the corner of the front yard was broken in half years ago, and it still looks the same (outside the frame). We raised the flag every day during his three deployments to Vietnam. He wanted us to, and it was certainly the least we could do while he was overseas. Also, I notice the mailbox has been relocated to the street. The mailman used to deliver the mail to the front door.

There were two people unloading something from a van parked on the street in front of the house. I asked the woman, "Do you live here?"
 
"He does," was the reply. So I looked at the man beside her and said, "I used to live here! My folks were the original owners of this house!" He seemed completely unimpressed. Oh well. The house was built in the early 60's, and so it's about 55 years old.

And then we headed back to the RV. I'd already stitched the day's inchy...fly stitch.


This being Sunday, I'll link up to:


Today's inchy has been posted...another fly stitching motif. I'll do that next. Once again, I have no idea or thoughts about how we might spend the day. The mask I made at home came apart the other day when one end of the elastic pulled loose. I'll need to repair that, and I'd like to make a mask from some camper fabric I brought along. Possibly, it will be a sewing day. We'll all find out together, I guess.


13 comments:

Barbara said...

It’s strange how time can make a place shrink, make its strangeness ordinary. ~ Veronica Roth

Quilting Babcia said...

It always seems a little bittersweet when we drive past the old homesteads of our parents and grandparents. Expecting things to look the same yet knowing that everything changes. I would hardly know the house I grew up in anymore, much less my grandparents' farmhouse.

Julierose said...

Cute inchy birdy!! ;)))
Amazing when you go back to your "growing up" home and town and look around...change is everywhere...my daughter lives in the same time I grew up in, but on the other side of Town...lots of changes there too--It was sort of "Small Town" when i knew it--now it's really grown...time marches on right?
We had a huge tall pine tree in our front yard--"they cut it down!!" I cried to Tom...oh well...hugs, Julierose

Karrin Hurd said...

What a small world. I moved to Vista when I was 13, in 1963 and lived there till I left home in 1972. I graduated from the old Vista High School in 1968 and also went to school with children whose parents owned businesses like the movie theater. I met my husband at Tri City Hospital in 1972. He was a clinical lab scientist in the lab, and I worked as a receptionist for the lab, and blood drawer. My family lived on Melrose Drive which is where the jail was located. My sister and brother still live in Oceanside. You gave me a visit down memory lane today!

Katie said...

What a boring guy, that current resident! I would LOVE someone to drive up and tell me they used to live in my house and tell me some history! The previous owners left us a little bit, but didn't know much, and our house being over 100 years old, I know it has stories to tell!

Little Penpen said...

How bittersweet to see your former home! I love the fly block!

Nancy said...

I got brave a few years ago and drove past the home I grew up in. I discovered that the house had been torn down and replaced with another. Which really figures the house had been build in 1950 and if had a dirt cellar with cinder block foundation. When I lived there my folks had two acres of land. Over the years they had sold a part of it. Then later when the were going to sell the house the buyer talked them into spilling the property so he could pay off the land portion and build a couple other houses. He paid off that part renting out the house. Then defaulted on the house so my folks ended up with the house that now needed a lot of work before they could sell it again. And now it did not have the other land and it had a driveway right by the back door. It was very sad.

Darlene S said...

I'm proud of you for driving by your old family home, as well as so many other special places. I think your Dad had a great eye for landscaping and planning ahead. I LOVE hedges. Good to see everything is so green at your old home, as so many have given up on watering. I hope you guys and kitties enjoy the warm weather this week. Great time to explore, as well as get out and walk. May I be so bold, to ask if you and Mike are going to visit the place of your first kiss? :)

piecefulwendy said...

What an interesting drive through memory lane for the two of you. A bit sad that the fellow wasn't impressed that you lived there so many years ago, but not surprising. One of the sons of the original owners of this house stopped by one day, and wanted to know if he could see the house. I showed him around, and it was interesting to hear his stories and memories.

SJSM said...

Living in so many places growing up, no particular spot can be called "home".. when my parents landed in their last spot it did/does carry memories of 2 years of high school and 1 year of college. We took all the belongings out of the house in December. Going through the details of their lives was melancholy. Some surprises (my dad was a taxi driver in NYC after WWII!?!?) many pictures with no names of relatives, many we did not know, my dad's collection of off color items he squirreled away so we would not see them, and the telegram my dad received announcing my birth when he was stationed in Germany. That brought tears to my eyes. Who knew? My mom had collections from all the kids, her prized possessions were well cared for, my grandmother’s wedding ring that she inherited from her oldest sister upon the sisters death and which I now have. Many memories now dispersed or trashed. Such is life.

It seems you have worked through many of those memories and are able to look at the past much easier.

Magpie's Mumblings said...

I imagine it must be a bit of a mind trip to return to where you grew up and see all the changes. I can't do that because I still live in the town where I basically grew up. Too bad the current homeowner wasn't a little more interested in learning more about the house - guess it takes all kinds.

Jenny said...

Going back "home" always brings back so many memories. When you think of how many years you spent growing up here, it certainly was a trip down memory lane for you.

Kate said...

It's always a bit trepidatious when you go visit where you grew up. Especially the old homestead.