2/8/21

A Sewing Day

It was another slow day yesterday. I had on my agenda to sew together the 20 quilt blocks for the Charm Stars quilt. It seemed a reasonable expectation that I could get it all done in a single day. I'll admit my arm was tired toward the end of the day, but no worse for wear into the evening. My pain levels are improving, and so most pain I feel now is with certain movements. Even my thumb seems to be improving. It's been two steps forward and one step back throughout, and so I don't expect progress to continue in a straight line, but it's always nice to have a few days when I can feel as if it's getting closer to normal.

But let's take a look at that quilt, shall we? This is my February OMG project. It's also one of two quilts I made for the Rainbow Scrap Challenge in 2019. I was working from a picture I'd taken when I laid out all the blocks to get a good arrangement of colors. Of course, one must always have one's sewing cats in their rightful places before beginning any sewing project. Sadie chose this quilt:


Smitty chose his window perch. Here, he can keep an eye on what's happening outside while also keeping track of what's going on at the sewing machine below him. It's a good strategic vantage point.


Starting with Row 1, I sewed the first four blocks together.


There were five rows of four blocks each, and so I just continued on with the second row, and sewed the two together.


After adding the third row of blocks, I laid them out.


It was time to submit to an inspection. Smitty was on duty today. He first walked around, checking for any lumps and bumps that might give him paws.


Next, we tested the purrsonal hygiene propurrties of the quilt.


Apparently, everything was ship-shape.

You may purrceed.


Next I sewed together the blocks for the fourth row.


Smitty kept the top half of the quilt under control while I finished sewing together the bottom half.


My arm was getting very tired by this time, but I was determined to finish. I sewed row 4 and row 5 together.


And then sewed the top portion to the bottom portion, and my quilt top was finished. Mike held it up for a picture. I'm mad at myself for cutting off the bottom of the quilt, but I think you get the idea.


It ends up at 60 x 75 inches, which is a good size for an RV quilt (this quilt's final destination). I won't be adding a border. I'll just quilt it and bind it, and it will be finished.

So that was a good day of sewing. This completes my goal for February's OMG, and so I'll link up to the party when it's time.


Hard to say what's on today's agenda. For sure, we need to find a pharmacy so I can get some more Tylenol. I've used up my entire bottle at this point. Also, I'll be stitching this morning's inchy, which has already been posted. But first...breakfast. The rest will show itself in time.

22 comments:

Barbara said...

There are two fatal errors that keep great projects from coming to life:
1) Not finishing
2) Not starting
~ Buddha Gautama

Julierose said...

Good for you finishing your rows...it's really hard to stop and not overdo instead!! Your quilt is beautiful--all those neatly matching points...what a great job you did on this...
I did my 3 Geese for today and some household chores and hope to begin sewing my rows of 3 together on the log cabin...fingers crossed they haven't stretched....I am thinking this will be my last log cabin for a while...
anyway--it was 16 degrees here this morning and we have 2 more storms on the horizon this week...
Take care and rest that shoulder...hugs, Julierose

MissPat said...

I was late enough getting to your yesterday post that today's was available, too. I like the stars. Do you press your seams to one side or open? I like the seams on the HSTs to nest, which doesn't happen when all the seams are pressed to the dark side. But I hate pressing the seams open and have trouble matching them that way. We got done to zero last night and will be cold all this week. Finished the top for a baby quilt on Saturday and need to find a backing in the stash, get it sandwiched and then quilted.
Pat

Katie said...

I'm glad to hear your shoulder is getting better. Injuries like that take forever to heal, and I'm finding out that those telling me it takes longer the older you get weren't kidding! Good thing you have a couple of beautiful medicinal cats to help things along. I'm nursing some sore abs from way too much cutting yesterday, but darn it, if I just cut the last two colors, I could start piecing a new quilt today...just like you, pushing through! I love the finished quilt (well, top) and I'm sure it will be a cheerful thing to have when rainy, colder, days happen in the RV.

gpc said...

I do love your rainbow quilts. Every year I promise myself that I will make one -- this year, so far, I have one pink block (I had very limited pink scraps!) and a bunch of yellow stacked for my next sewing day. So we'll see. Glad you are feeling better.

Quilting Babcia said...

Great rainbow top, perfect for the RV, especially for those dreary days when there's no sunshine outside. Your purry inspector may not be willing to give it up after adding nice soft batting and quilting. Good to hear that every day/week you're able to do more without as much pain.

Cathy Smith said...

I've always liked that quilt!

Vivian said...

That's a great quilt top! All those beautifully matched points done while nursing a broken shoulder too! You will be so proud when you curl up with the kitties under this quilt in the RV later in the year.

SJSM said...

I like the bright colors and movement in the quilt. First you see stars then diagonal lines the light patches. Great combination of the lights and darks to make the eye keep moving.

piecefulwendy said...

That's a bright, happy quilt, and quite an accomplishment, I'd say. Definitely worth celebrating. Glad you are continuing to heal and the pain is less.

SandyPA said...

Thanks for taking us along on your vacation trip. I've really enjoyed the pictures and reading about the places you and your husband visit. Congrats on finishing the Dakota Star quilt top. Sandy at sewhigh.blogspot.com

Magpie's Mumblings said...

I think this has to be one of my most favourite of your projects, mainly because of the wonderful bright colours. They are happy making! Guess with all the dull grey weather here it's fun to see something colourful.

QuiltGranma said...

Such beautiful and vibrant colors in those stars, hope all that in one day did not set you back the next day! Smitty is such a good snoopervisor!

Kate said...

Glad to hear that your shoulder is continuing to heal and feel less painful. It's frustrating that healing takes so long. Charm Stars finished up beautifully. Hope you found your Tylenol, it's amazing how that can help when you have an injury.

The Joyful Quilter said...

Oh, how I love this quilt top!!! Congrats on getting it assembled.

scraphappy said...

Such pretty blocks! So happy that you were able to get them all together! Hope that you continue to improve, it sounds like your overall trajectory is good.

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

Those are such great star blocks - love them in all the colors of the rainbow! I love your kitty inspectors, too. They're very entertaining!

Cheryl's Teapots2Quilting said...

I like those stars.

Twyla said...

Love your colorful stars quilt. PLEASE be very careful taking Tylenol. It will attack your liver.

Kathy S. said...

Way to go on your OMG. Smitty looks comfy in the window seat. :)

Patty said...

Beautiful! Thanks for linking up with Elm Street Quilts One Monthly Goal and congrats on your finish!

Cheree @ The Morning Latte said...

Good job on your completion--and it's always so nice to have the Kitty Seal of Approval!