1/31/21

Sunshine, Finally

The weather has vastly improved here in Boulder City. It was still a little chilly yesterday morning, but we're expecting warming throughout the week. Sadie is still mad she's not getting the morning sun on her kitty window perch.

She really loved our stay in Hemet last year, when she could warm her tummy furs in the morning sun.


My morning was spent slow stitching. I did more than I should have because I wanted to finish this section. My thumb didn't complain too much about the extra work.


Now I've moved my hoop to the right, and I'll start here this morning.


The morning temperatures were frigidly cold, but we went out for a little walk around the park in the afternoon. Here are some things we saw. A saguaro cactus. 


We're kind of at the edge of their favorite desert here. If we were to travel south into Arizona, we would begin to see a lot more of them.

One of my favorite things about winter is seeing abandoned birds' nests in the leafless trees.


This park has a collection of antique ranching equipment, like this wagon. I'll try to get some more pictures of this stuff today.


This bird, a grackle, followed us around the park. They make a sound like a myna bird. I was standing quite a distance away for this shot.


Smitty seemed to want to get out for a walk when we returned to the RV. What he really wanted was to take a nice dust bath on this graveled surface. He spread himself out for maximum contact with the earth.


Sadie watched from the open window over our heads.


There was a pretty pink sunrise this morning. We're ignoring the "sailors take warning" part of a red sky at morning. It's supposed to be sunny and into the 50's today. 


If it warms up enough, I'll get out for another walk and arm myself with some kind of photo challenge before I go. Tomorrow's post will be the reveal of my Endeavourers art quilt challenge. The theme this last time was "Memories." I finished my quilt back in November, and I was glad I did. A broken shoulder might have gotten in the way of things if I'd waited. We'll have to (gasp) set an alarm in the morning since we need to get off early for my x-ray appointment. The timing all worked out with my "reveal" post already written and ready to post on schedule.

Also, I'm getting a head start with designating a February OMG today. 


In February, I want to sew together the Charm Stars quilt blocks.


The finished quilt is supposed to have a border, and I haven't decided yet whether I want to add that. I'll wait and see how big the quilt is when I get the blocks all sewn together. Since I don't have any border fabric with me, nor have I even thought about what it might be, I'll just stick with sewing the blocks together for my goal in February. I'll link this post when the party starts tomorrow.

My internet experience has been slowed down considerably as of the past day or two. We've been using our phone as internet hot spots, but apparently exceeded our data limit for the month. Now we've been "throttled back," as Mike puts it, so that uploading pictures has become tediously slow. I'm using the park wi-fi this morning, but it too is terribly slow. I'll either have to blog earlier in the morning, or post fewer pictures until my data limit is restored in about a week. Frustrating, but it's the world we're living in right at the moment.

12 comments:

Barbara said...

Before you marry a person, you should first make them use a computer with slow Internet service to see who they really are. ~ Will Ferrell.

MissPat said...

We do get spoiled by high-speed internet access don't we? I like that you used darker neutrals in the star blocks. I have a bunch of tans and beiges and never seem to use them. Good luck with the X-Ray tomorrow. Hope you have made lots of progress.
Pat

Julierose said...

Your charm squares are lovely...hope all goes well at your appointment tomorrow.
We are in the way of a snowstorm--forecasted to begin this evening and then last into Monday...5 to 9 inches here--My son, in MA is expected to get 12+ inches--he is on the New Hampshire border so up there...
Thankful for small mercies here on the shore..
hugs, Julierose

QUILTING IS BLISSFUL, DI said...

Nice goal and nice photo's--
and a friendly reminder--tomorrow also starts our first day of the Crabapple Embroidery stitch along!!!
Have fun--
luv, di

Quilting Babcia said...

Good luck with tomorrow's x-ray. Your OMG for February is a good one, full of color and cheer. We hope to stay on the western edge of the nor'easter headed toward us today and tomorrow. Snow just isn't as much fun as it once was, or seemed to be.

Lyndsey said...

I love the charm squares and the quilt shop stitchery is looking good.

Deb said...

Love the redwork quilt shop stitchery, I was just reminded I have that pattern. Your charm stars are so pretty.

Karrin Hurd said...

Great redwork project! Good luck on reaching your February goal!

SJSM said...

Sunshine warms the soul even if the temperature is cold. Poor Sadie is missing that warmth. Your quote is a good one for modern love.

piecefulwendy said...

Yay for sunshine - enjoy! That quilt is a pretty one!

Magpie's Mumblings said...

I love that wonderful old wagon...I'm sure it could tell lots of stories. Glad you're getting sunshine but it would be even nicer if it was a little warmer I'm sure. Your Charm Stars quilt looks so pretty. I'm crocheting a mile-a-minute afghan at the moment and using all different colours of yarn from my stash. At least it doesn't get boring with all the colours!

QuiltGranma said...

Looking at that saguaro cactus reminds me of looking at myself fresh out of the shower, kind of lumpy! Your charming stars looks nice, perhaps you'll find jus what you need at the local quilt shop for borders!