12/2/20

Plenty of Piecing

We were both moving slow yesterday. With Monday's activities being practically a total loss for the day, we were less-than-enthusiastic about our grocery shopping expedition. It wasn't too bad though, except for the way-too-chatty woman behind the butcher counter. I was only there for the meat, but I think I could write her biography now.

Before we left, I spent more than my usual amount of time stitching Pieces of the Past. I filled my hoop and then moved it for this morning's session.


It was fairly late in the day by the time I made it into the sewing room. My goal was to piece together Blocks 2, 3, and 4 for Calendula Patterdrip's Cottage. It's going to take quite some time to trace it, and I want to take it along when we head south for the winter. It'll be a good take-along project...plenty to keep me busy for a good long time, and only one project box to pack into my limited sewing space.

Smitty was on the job for this.

Saaaaaaaddddddieeeeeee! We need to help mom with her sewing today. She has to follow instructions, and we need to keep her on track!


I'm right here, Smitty. Stop yelling. My talents lie in choosing fabrics, not reading instructions. You read the instructions. I'll help with fabric selection.


So these next three sections involve piecing some blocks, and then sewing them to the embroidery backgrounds. When the piecing is finished for all three, I'll sew them together and trace the large embroidery motif. It spans three sections. The second block just needed one 3-1/2 inch square solid, a half square triangle and a flying geese (goose?) block.


The next section took a little longer. It had a 6-1/2 inch solid, a rail fence, a churn dash, and a broken dishes block.


I'm sorry. I cannot purrmit you to use this fabric. It is all wrong for this piece.


After much discussion and a little bit of shoving, she allowed me to use it for the smallest part of the bow tie block. I just needed one solid, and the fourth section was finished.


When the three sections were sewn together, they looked like this:


Then, I lined-up and measured everything out and pinned the embroidery pattern to the back. It's sitting on the dining room table now, and I'll start tracing it today. It's a rather detailed motif, and I suspect it will take more than one sitting to get it all traced out and ready for stitching.


Santa came early to our house yesterday. Unless he gets held up somehow, he'll be visiting again today and bringing a second one of these electric bikes. Think of them as bikes for lazy people (that would be us).


They're sort of a hybrid bike. They fold in half for storage and travel. They have rechargeable batteries that will take you up to 45 miles, depending on how much battery vs. people power you demand of them. As for the battery power, they have "pedal assist," so that you can get a little boost when riding up hills. They can travel up to 20 mph. They have wide tires, so they can travel most any surface. This one is mine...it's the girl's version. Mike's doesn't look very much different, but the step-through is a little higher. 

It's been years since I've ridden a bike, and so we're going to take this one into town where I can practice riding it on a flat surface today. It's not so different from riding a regular bike, but it has a throttle on the right-side handle bar. When I tried riding it on our driveway yesterday, it startled me when I engaged it. Our driveway is mud and it's also on a hill, and so I wasn't inclined to do that for my first try. I'll feel more confident learning to ride it on a flat, paved surface. As long as we're talking about piecing, I hope I won't need some after we've given this a try.

The only other thing on today's list is to make some divinity. I have a doctor's appointment tomorrow morning, and then I'm meeting up with Sue for a walk. I'll take her some of the mustard I made recently, and I'm also going to drop some off with Erik and Mae...which brings me back to the divinity. Mae said she'd never had divinity before, and so I need to remedy that right away. It's been a couple of years since I've made any, so I've got a powerful yen for some myself. It's a dry day. I've heard it's a myth that you need a dry day for divinity, but I'm taking no chances. Christmas candy is serious business. 

13 comments:

Barbara said...

Give a man a fish and feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and feed him for a lifetime. Teach a man to cycle and he will realize fishing is stupid and boring. ~ Desmond Tutu

Barbara said...

My mother hates to cook. She bragged for years about how she made good divinity. I couldn't remember her ever making it. One of her friends challenged her to put her money where her mouth is and prove it. As you might imagine, it was an unmitigated disaster.

I'm sure you will have a successful outcome.

Julierose said...

That pattern looks enormous to be traced--you have patience to do that.
Your embroidery plate looks really pretty...My hubby is under the weather--he had a virtual MD meeting yesterday as he has a cough...MD didn't think it was Covid, but his chest is all sore and congested...not fun.
Hope all stays well with you two...hugs from afar Julierose

"Bee" said...


My grandma and grandpa taught me how to make divinity. Grandma would cook it until that soft ball appeared just right in the cup of water and then we would put our coats and gloves on and neat it with a really big beater type of thing, and we would beat the divinity manually with that!.. then when it finally appeared that it was changing from glossy to more textured, it was time to take it in and scoop balls out on wax paper. I loved it!!

I often think of my grandparents while I'm beating my divinity these days with my heavy duty mixer!! It's so yummy and it is known as a traditional old time candy!!

Have a great day.

QuiltShopGal said...

I grew up making divinity with my mother, but haven't had it in years. You may have just inspired me to try to make some this Christmas season. I love what Santa brought you for Christmas. I think you'll both enjoy biking. We've been thinking about getting a powered bike too, but Mrs. Santa is bringing a drone this year (thanks to you & Mike).

Magpie's Mumblings said...

I don't remember ever having divinity - I'm sure it's good! Must say I'm glad it's you doing all that tracing - I'd be going cross-eyed for sure. And do be careful on those bikes...

Vroomans' Quilts said...

I can't even balance on a stationary bike - could only imagine the disaster. A lot of tracing there. I have this pattern - somewhere. BUT the quilt barns are on my list thru 2021.

AnnieO said...

My Grandma cut and dried her own fruit for fruitcakes she sent “back home” to Nebraska from CA. She made fudge, popcorn balls, divinity, peanut brittle, caramels, cookies and chocolate covered toffee AND pies every Christmas. I sure miss her.

I’ve been talking about electric bikes with my husband, who has spinal stenosis and can’t walk distances. I told him what William Shatner said about using them to exercise, “They flatten hills”, which we have in abundance in SoCal.

SJSM said...

For the last birthday my daughter rented me an electric bike so we could do wine country together. The bar was high on the bike. I did really well until about half way through the trip. I could keep going but getting on and off the bike became a hilarious multi person ordeal. Stretch out those inner thighs and back so you can mount and dismount easily. Though your bike's bar looks much lower than the one I used, it was still a woman’s bike. The day was a blast and I would look forward to doing it again. I was tuckered out after 6-7 hours.

I’m glad you figured out the embroidery. It will be a space saver as you fit your projects in your small sewing storage space. Good thinking to take that along.

piecefulwendy said...

That is one snazzy looking bike! I rode a bike a couple of years ago now, but when I got on it, I was surprised at how difficult it was. I thought it would just be like it always was. Geez. The size of your bike is nice, too. I hope you enjoy it!

MissPat said...

My former MIL always made divinity as well as many other candies and dozens of different kinds of cookies every Christmas. She stored then in metal cookie tins on the enclosed but unheated front porch. I'm lucky if I get one batch of peanut blossoms and some snickerdoodles made.
Pat

bcarlf said...

My mom made great divinity, but one year she decided to double the recipe, and it turned into a disaster. It tasted great but wouldn't harden up and ended up being a waste. I remember she worried about my dad thinking about it being a waste but I don't remember his reaction. He usually totally left the kitchen to her. She made really good fudge, too. I usually helped her when I was old enough, but have never made candy as an adult. I love your new Christmas present! I don't think my 80 year old body would survive, but it really looks like fun.

QuiltGranma said...

Now THAT is the kind of bike I think that we could handle! We're getting up in age, and could use the exercise, but would also appreciate the help it would give!