11/26/20

Happy Thanksgiving!


Good morning, my friends! Turkey day is here...for better or worse. It isn't the first time we've spent Thanksgiving away from our kids. The first time was in 2017, when we made our trip around the perimeter of the United States. We missed them terribly that year, but our dinner was good. This year will be the same, but it's harder to be separated when there are only a few miles between us. We've talked about visiting via Facetime, but nothing else has been said about that. I had in mind to get an early start yesterday. Then, I looked at what was going to be involved in cooking our dinner for tonight, and decided it was a one day affair. Hopefully, I won't regret that decision. Either way, it will mean an early start.

Instead of cooking, I spent the day sewing, and I got a lot done. I even got caught up on housework! A red letter day! As I mentioned yesterday, I was in the middle of making the next Shop Hop block. I had the embroidery for the name plate finished:


Next, I cut the focus fabric. We visited BJ's Fabric & Quilts when we traveled to the Oregon Coast to see the Neskowin Ghost Forest. I was amazed to find a quilt shop in such a small town. You can read my post about the quilt shop right here. Our visit to the Neskowin Ghost Forest was a rainy day tragedy. We'd like to go back when the weather is better, but you can read about what we saw on that rainy day right here. Seeing the ghost forest caused me to choose this fabric for my quilt:


When the quilt block was finished, it looked like this:


I'm loving these Polaroid blocks for this quilt. You can find the pattern for the picture block right here. Here are all the blocks I have for this quilt so far:

Okay, so with that finished, I moved to the next WIP on my list, and got started on the fifth of 12 blocks for New Mexico Kitchen. This is the image from the pattern cover. Sorry it's so grainy.


Each block for this quilt comes with a recipe for the food represented in the block. Here's the recipe to go with this one:


So, the first step is to create a background for the applique. I've been looking at the cover picture and trying to choose something similar.


Somehow, I wasn't up for starting the applique, and so I took a long break after I'd made the background. Then, surprisingly, I was able to get all the fusing done when it was time to quit for the day.


Like many of you, I'll be spending the biggest part of today in the kitchen. Still, I'm hoping I'll have at least a little time to start on the top-stitching for this block. It still needs to have borders added, and then there's the damnable fringe for the table cloth. It's the one part of this quilt that is extremely annoying to work on, but I do like the effect. There's both machine and hand embroidery to do as well, so this block is far from finished.

And that brings me to now. I'm going to do a little slow-stitching, and then I'll get started on some wild rice stuffing for our little Cornish game hens, and I'm going to make a pecan pie for two. Most of our dinner will have to wait until this afternoon, but I can get a start by cutting some things up and refrigerating them until it's time to start cooking. 

So, one last time...Happy Thanksgiving, my friends. I hope the end of the day finds you in a food coma, no matter what's on your Thanksgiving table for this scaled-down celebration. Let's hope next year finds us in better times.

10 comments:

Barbara said...

When asked if my cup is half-full or half-empty my only response is that I am thankful I have a cup. ~ Sam Lefkowitz

Cathy Smith said...

Happy Thanksgiving to you, Mike and the kitties! I just keep telling myself that this year is just a bump in the road and next year will be better!

My holiday started off with a whimper late yesterday afternoon. I reached under the kitchen sink for cleaning spray only to discover everything was soaking wet! Looks like the garbage disposal has given up the ghost. Nothing simple like a hose. It's leaking from the casing. Luckily I had pre-made most of my sides. Oh, well... It's 2020. What more can be said? Hahaha!

Have a good one!

Connie said...

Happy Thanksgiving and thanks so much for sharing on a wide variety of topics. Like you, we are having a dinner for two. We are in better shape than some because both of our children served in the military and my husband was active duty when we married. So, we are familiar with the quiet holidays but also always very thankful when all of us can celebrate together. Let's stay safe and healthy so we are ready to be together in 2021.
Connie

Sandra W said...

I love that triple Irish chain. Did you have a pattern? What size are the blanks, what size are the small patches? Or did you find something on line?
Also I see you have your new hair/photo on the page. I like the new hair.
Happy thanksgiving to you Mike, and family.

Julierose said...

Oh I am with Sandra--where did you find that triple Irish chain pattern--I have searched on Youtube and online and cannot seem to find it anywhere...
so pretty.
Well, we've just finished eating ourselves into that coma you were talking about! but, so good...We haven't had a big meal like that since last Christmas I think. What a treat--so lucky we are to be able to do this...and despite being just the two of us we had a wonderful day prepping and cooking and champagne-ing our way to dinner.
Hugs, from afar julierose;)))

HouseDragon said...

Happy Thanksgiving from your cyber friends in Kaua`i. DH is rotissering a small turkey in the BBQ after brining it overnight. Prayers for a huge Thanksgiving next year!

Magpie's Mumblings said...

I really like that polaroid setting for your blocks - it certainly sets them off perfectly. I can't remember the last time I had Cornish hens - hmmm, might have to rectify that!
Happy Thanksgiving to you, Mike and the kitties!

piecefulwendy said...

Jumping in a day late, so I know your meal was tasty, given the photos on IG. We had a nice day as well.

Kate said...

The photo idea for your next shop hop quilt is really cool. Looking forward to seeing more of those blocks. Our Thanksgiving was relaxed and we all ate really well. No food coma allowed though, we went for a walk afterwards to earn our slice of chocolate pie.

SJSM said...

Oh, another block for the food quilt. It’s nice to see those come together. And the photography take on your shop hop is a real winner. You keep adding to those quilts systematically it’s like seeing a giant puzzle appear.

The quietness Thanksgiving ever. The prep day was just as grueling but satisfying to see how all came together. T-Day was fairly easy as a result. What was surprising was the cleanup. Though all the recipes were made in smaller quantities it made for a refrigerator that was just full but not overstuffed. And having the smaller pans and bowls made it faster to scrub. Then only 4 sets of dishes, glasses and utensils instead of 17-30 made one dishwasher load and little hand washing. I was able to be more relaxed and actually enjoy the comatose afterglow instead of working. What a joy. Today Christmas will start to appear around the house.

Hope your T day was enjoyable.