11/30/20

Everything By Hand

If you thought I was taking the day off from blogging, well you're right. I wasn't just kidding around when I said that. But we went for Mike's medical procedure this morning, and it was postponed until 2:30 p.m. His prep was incomplete, and so we're waiting a few more hours before trying again. It's kind of a bummer because I can't wait for him in the waiting room, and so I'm relegated to the car to wait. It's too far to come home, and it's raining. There isn't a lot to do in the meantime, and so I'm glad I have plenty of slow stitching to keep me busy. 

Before the postponement this morning, I had some time to pick up my one and only white chocolate peppermint mocha from Starbucks for the year. 

I totally love that drink, but they are high in calories. Several years back, I told myself I could have one per Christmas season. Thank goodness I was able to get my fix this morning, or the day might be a total loss.

So here I sit, writing my post to you, and waiting until it's time to leave again. I might as well tell you what I worked on yesterday. It was a day for hand-sewing, which was actually very nice. There was just a little bit left to do on the first section for Calendula Patterdrip's Cottage. When I moved my hoop, I was to the last little bit.


A little more stitching, and it was finished.


So, you'll notice things are cut off at the bottom. The feet will be added when it's sewn to the blocks below. The motifs for this quilt are very large and stretch nearly from edge to edge on the quilt. It's going to mean sewing big sections of the quilt together and then tracing the motifs so they span several sections. I'm thinking I'll work on this some more for the time being. I'd like to get the sections sewn together so that it will be ready when we head south for the winter. It would be easier to trace it here at home where I have more room to spread out. There are several blocks to piece together with that effort, and so that's next on my agenda. The City Bank quilt will need to wait a little longer.

Also yesterday, I finished off the Red Chile Stew block. Just the fringe at the bottom was left. It's a total pain, but it actually goes pretty fast. I think it took about an hour to work my way across the block.


These are all the blocks I have for this quilt so far. I love all that color.


With Calendula Patterdrip's first section finished, it was time to get serious about tracing out the next block for Pieces of the Past. This next block is a large oval platter. (The flowers and things around the edges of the paper will be used later. I was only interested in the large oval in the center.)


It was traced and colored. Sorry. That white fairy frost fabric doesn't photograph very well. It's pretty for this quilt, though. It gives the impression of fine china.


And now it's hooped up and ready to go. I was going to work on it while I waited for Mike this morning, but we were in and out so quickly there was no time. I'm sure I'll have some time this afternoon.


But why wait? That's my motto. I'm going to head there next. There are a few hours to kill before we need to go back to the doctor's office. I'm afraid today will include a lot of driving. No worries though. I'd rather be driving than be the one having the procedure. Generally, it's him waiting for me. I'm happy enough for an opportunity to return the favor.

7 comments:

Barbara said...

I have had dreams and I have had nightmares, but I have conquered my nightmares because of my dreams. ~ Jonas Salk

"Bee" said...


Barbara.
I feel for Mike....I just had my procedure done a week ago today!!
Thank goodness I didn't have to go back!!!
I really dread the prep of this procedure........going through the procedure is nothing. I was out immediately and awoke a half hour later and it was over and no bad things!! I have to do it in another five years. It's usually 10 years, but because my last one, I had some polyps and I have had cancer five years ago, so I'm a high risk. I hope he gets a clean report as well!
Carolyn

gpc said...

I echo Bee in preferring to be the waiter instead of the patient, but what a hassle to have to leave and return. Medical tests are always a crap shoot, if you know what I mean. Mmmmm, Starbucks. I will have to try the peppermint mocha next time I indulge -- I usually go for the plain hot chocolate made with almond milk, which is delicious, but I am a peppermint fan so this new idea sounds appealing. In my old life, today is the day I would have gotten one since it would have been free, but today I am too stuffed with cake to even consider it.

Carole @ From My Carolina Home said...

How maddening to get there and then be sent home, only to have to return again that same day. Ugh! I hope it went well when you were able to get it done. I think you deserve two peppermint mochas this year!!

Magpie's Mumblings said...

Poor Mike - to have to be psyched up for the procedure and then to have to do it all over again later in the day. As of yesterday I'm tentatively scheduled for my cataract surgery the first week of March - barring any further closures due to covid. That's a lot sooner than I had thought and I must admit I'm more than ready.
I love the amazing colors in your quilt - that's going to be absolutely spectacular when it's done.

piecefulwendy said...

Hope he got through his procedure and you are back home. Some days are fun to just sit and stitch, but not necessarily when you are stuck in the car waiting. Still, you made good use of your time.

QuiltGranma said...

I'm glad you had something productive to do while waiting for hubby at his appointment. Hubby went with me today to my orthopedist, he took his reading. It was a long day! Chili is looking fabulous!