8/18/20

Beets and Blocks

It was another hot day yesterday. We're promised some cooling today. I'm hoping we can turn off the air-conditioning. It's so cold in the basement sewing room that I've been confining myself to the upstairs part of the house. Our house is on three levels with a daylight basement. The sewing room is in the far reaches of the basement. When weather goes from cold to warm each year, we close off the ventilation to the basement and open it in the upstairs portion, where our bedroom is located. In winter, we do the opposite. When the heater is running in colder weather, the bedroom can get stifling. For the time being, the bedroom is cool enough, but the basement feels like a refrigerator.

The morning started with me processing beets. I pickled another four pints, which brings my total to nine pints. That's probably enough for the year. 


As long as I was working with the beets, I harvested a couple more for their greens. From those I made beet green pesto. We were to have this for dinner last night, but ended up getting take-out for no other reason than sheer boredom. 


We'll have the pesto with tonight's dinner. I've made pesto from basil, kale, chard, carrot tops, sorrel, and even nasturtiums. I loves me some pesto. Spread on a slice of bread from a crusty loaf and topped with some grated parmesan...mmm, mmm, mmm. By the way, where I've linked to the recipe for the pesto, there's a recipe for Fettuccine with Asparagus, Beet Green Pesto, and Poached Egg. It occurs to me the same recipe could be made with shaved zucchini in place of the asparagus. That way I could kill two garden vegetables in one dish. That has me thinking of another way to avoid grocery shopping this week.

So anyway, kitchen duties complete, I got busy with the quilting. I was hoping to get one row completed, and I managed two. Yay, me! I'm a day ahead of schedule with this. Here are the blocks I did yesterday.

Chicken Caesar:


Chicken in a Basket


Chicken Chow Mein


Stewed Chicken (This is one of my favorites.)


and Hawaiian Chicken.


Sadie was bored with quilting by then.

Smitty was so bored, he took to bathing in the middle of everything. With such hot weather, it's especially important to attend to one's purrsonal hygiene.

So I'm hoping I'll be able to quilt another row today. We have to go into town today though. I called our local extension service yesterday because I need to have the gauge for my pressure canner calibrated. They'll do it for free, but their walk-in hours for that service are only on Tuesdays and Thursdays. Since I'm getting my hair cut on Thursday, today is the only day I can do it. The green beans will not wait. Mike is going with me. We're turning it into a little date, and we'll have lunch at a restaurant with a nice outdoor dining area. It shouldn't take all day, but sometimes these little excursions take longer than anticipated.

Okay, so I'm hopeful for some cooler weather today. How are you holding up in the heat?

11 comments:

Julierose said...

Those chickens are just a riot--so cute and funny...and you've done a wonderful job on them. What a really cute quilt...

We got a relief last night with thunder/lightning storms and 3/4s inch of rain--yay!!
And....
I have finally broken through the lack of desire to sew at all...using my leftover squares--figures--I do love me some squares...
Hope you get some cooler weather
Hugs from freshly cleaned air Julierose

Lyndsey said...

I love the chickens, they are such fun.I'd send you some of our cooler weather but I'm enjoying it too much. We are supposed to get storms later this week but at the moment there's sun and a reasonable temperature. Beet pesto sounds very nice. I like that you can make pesto with so many different things and it is always delicious.

Connie S Wolfe said...

The chicken feet stippling works great! It is a bit of whimsy to support the comical chickens. Thanks for sharing.
Connie
c_s_wolfe@yahoo.com

Shirley said...

That purple thread could not be more perfect for that quilt! Love the design you are quilting also. What a fun, happy quilt.

Vroomans' Quilts said...

I like using colored threads, so the purple tickles me with this cute chicken quilt. Our gifted beets - Mom likes the root part and I like the greens, so we are both benefiting. My basil is very robust this year and I am pesto'ed out! Now I am hanging clusters to dry and bottle up for winter use. The last zucchini is used my 'noodle' machine. I got some practic in - I love using that for winter squash.

Jerilea Hendrick said...

Pesto is one of the greatest foods ever. I like to mix a tablespoon with an equal amount of mayo. I spread it on an open face tomato sandwich. Truly wonderful. I have a ton of nasturtiums this year....dont know why i never considered pesto with those....i guess I know what my project is today.

MissPat said...

I just love the chicken names. Very cute quilt. I confess I have never made pesto. Don't have a garden anymore and a pot of basil (which I didn't even go this summer) doesn't yield enough to process into pesto. The latest heat wave passed us by. A series of cold fronts have moved through and our high today will be only around 70. Hints of autumn in the air.
Pat

piecefulwendy said...

Gosh - you can make pesto with just about anything, huh? All we've ever done is freeze fresh basil pesto so I can use it in soups, etc. Those chicken blocks are too funny, and your quilting is looking great! For a minute there, I thought Smitty had fallen asleep mid-bath; I'm sure he would never appurrove a photo like that though.

SJSM said...

The chicken quilt gives me a big chuckle. The chicken foot prints are a natural option that works so well. Marinade chicken should show a drunken oath, which it does.

We are still hot but this should be the last day before a breather then it may be back again. The lightning storm developed so many fires. In our we have over 20 fires. Last night we were on a evacuation warning, though they did not come around. We saw the bright red glow on our tallest hill for a couple of hours but the winds were blowing the right way for us and it diminished over time. We finally went to bed around 2:15 AM when we felt confident we weren’t to be rudely awakened and sent packing. Not the excitement I was looking to have last night.

I saved the pesto recipe. Thanks for sharing.

Magpie's Mumblings said...

I love the tongue in cheek names for the chickens - I think Chicken a la King has to be my favourite though because it made me laugh. It's cooled off here today and I suppose I should be happy about that but in the interest of true confessions I'm not. Don't get me wrong - I like the cooler temperatures but don't like what it's going to lead to. Just the thought of the dreaded winter is enough to made me feel down, especially when it always drags on...and on....and on.....and will be compounded by further stay-at-home restrictions due to the virus. Not a prospect I'm looking forward to.

Kate said...

Those chicken blocks are such fun. You made really good progress on the quilting. What's the plan for this quilt when it's finished? Hopefully you finally got your cooler weather. It's been down right chilly here in the mornings.