So anyway...food is bought and put away. Clothes are washed. Today, I really need to get serious about packing things. But that's a story for tomorrow's blog. Not that you'd be interested. As for what happened yesterday...I made another mask for yet another friend. I was in such a hurry to get it finished and into an envelope for mailing that I totally forgot to take a picture. My friend is a lab tech in a hospital, and she requested a mask with beakers, flasks, and/or test tubes. When I offered to make masks for friends, I told them I probably had a fabric for any theme they could name. So here's the fabric I chose for my friend. I purchased this some time ago. All I can remember is that it is called "Apothecary."
While we were at the grocery store, Mike was whining and complaining about his mask. It slides up and gets uncomfortably close to his eyes. In truth, it's probably a little large for his face. It was made using the paper template from Laundry Basket Quilts. As I mentioned in a previous post, I sprung to purchase the plastic template from Creative Grids. After making more than a dozen masks, I've decided I like the Creative Grids template best. It's a sturdy template with a non-skid backing, and I can cut four pieces of fabric with ease. Here are the two masks I made for him and for me yesterday.
Here's why I like the Creative Grids template better. In the image below, the top mask was made using the paper template. All the lines, except for the center seam, are straight lines. Pay particular attention to the top of each mask. You can see that the top mask (with the cats) is cut straight, while the bottom mask (with the spools of thread) is cut on a curve. It curves away from the eyes, but still gives good coverage for the nose. Also, there is a pleat which gives some allowance for size adjustment. Finally, the same template can be used to make masks in three different sizes.
So I'm probably finished making masks for a while, but honestly, they're pretty easy, and it's been a good way to use some scraps. Also, it's been fun choosing themes for my friends.
When those were finished, I went to work making the final sections for And On that Farm. Sadie was especially helpful in this endeavor.
The ducklings look purrticularly appurrtizing!
When they were all finished, they looked like this. They aren't fused to the background fabric just yet.
So let's just take a look at how the finished quilt will look. Below is the picture from the pattern cover. All the blocks are made now. You can see where the duck and ducklings will be fused in the bottom right. Also, I need to make all the applique for the border.
The first step, however, is to start sewing it all together. And so that's what I'll be doing next.
We'll see how today's agenda goes. I'm either packing my clothes or packing some food. Either way, I'll be making a couple of dishes ahead, and so I'll be spending some time in the kitchen. I'm really hoping to get the quilt all sewn together if I have the time.