6/24/20

Fancy Cats

Our weather was hot yesterday. It was nice to hang out in a cool basement sewing room. Earlier in the morning, I was out watering the flower pots. It's my habit to take a walk around the house to see what's blooming. Lucky me...my cat and his shadow self usually follow along.


There still isn't much blooming, but the hydrangeas continue on their quest to be the stars of the garden. The daylilies and echinacea are giving it a good try too.



Around the far side of the house, we met up with our other little friend. She's stand-offish when she's outside. We've adopted two mostly feral cats in our cat history, and they were both the same...people inside, good. People outside, bad. And so she's shy when we approach outside.


I had some housework to do, but then I got after my sewing. I've been dragging my feet getting started on this panel, mostly because I've never turned a panel of quilt blocks into a quilt before. Here's the panel I was working with.



It's from the "Cat-I-Tude" line of fabrics from Benartex. I've been pinning different versions of what folks have done on Pinterest. I found this image from Sew In Love, and I kind of liked this arrangement. It was identified on her blog as "'Cats on Parade' designed by Lisa Swenson Ruble and machine quilted by Diane Oakes; featured in Quilter's World Fall 2018." Here's the photo:


The one in the photo is a panel with a black background. Mine is white, but I can always switch out the black fabric for a white one. I thought I might be able to figure this out on my own, but then...on a whim...I searched around and found it! Cool! You can find the free pattern right here. She's calling her quilt "Cats on Parade," but I'm calling mine "Fancy Cats." The panel has bits of gold metallic in it, and so the cats, psychedelic as they are, look elegant to me. I was looking for fabrics that would stand up to that elegance. And, honestly, if you want to get right down to it...all cats are elegant. Especially when they've been digging for gophers. Wouldn't you agree?


So, anyway...I chose the dark purple right away. It's been in my stash since the beginning of my quilting days. And I chose the white one. You can't really see it in the image below, but it has pale gray polka dots. I had a couple of aqua fabrics selected, and settled on the fairy frost. It was the top fabric that had me stuck for a while. When I found this sort of paisley with some gold metallic flecks in it, I knew I was ready to go.


I'm usually kind of a cut-as-you-go person, but I decided to do all the cutting and labeling ahead of time. There are lots of different pieces, and I was worried about getting confused. (Not at all surprising.)


Once I had the cutting finished, I went to work snow-balling the six cat blocks.


The "twist" blocks had a "Y" seam, and so I first made just one to make sure I had it right.


And then I made five more. Here are the blocks I've made so far.


By then, it was time to stop for the day. Now I'm on a roll, and it was hard to walk away from it. I'm excited to get back to it and start sewing it all together.

Upstairs, Sadie was cooling herself next to the open window.


Smitty always chooses the top of the china cabinet to keep his tummy furs frosty.


The week is just about to get a little bit busy. I'm getting a haircut today. HOORAY! My hair hasn't seen a professional hairdresser since last November. Believe me when I say it shows. Mike made it possible for me to maintain my sanity by giving me a trim several weeks ago. It isn't so bad, but it does need some shaping. Tomorrow our window-washer guy is coming. He comes once per year, and it's very nice to have clean windows after he goes. Friday I'm getting a pedicure for the first time since last November. I'm looking forward to that.

For our partial reopening, we are required to wear masks for these kind of salon visits. We are to wait in our car and text our stylist/nail artist when we arrive, and then they will come to the car to meet us. Hair is not shampooed in a shampoo bowl, but wet down with a spray bottle, which allows us to keep our masks on. Appropriate social distancing is required. The number of people allowed inside the salon is limited. Mike has been out for a haircut, but this will be my first time.

As for the virus, Oregon has seen a spike in cases since our reopening began, and so we've been on "pause" before moving on to the next phase. Fortunately, we're not seeing the spike that some of the other states have seen. The City of Portland has seen a lot of protesting, and that isn't helping at all. And all of that to say that I'm only hoping to get back to my sewing today. Now that I've started on this, my sewing mojo is in high gear, and I just want to keep going. You probably know the feeling.

We're expecting cooler weather today, but still sunny and warm. Maybe summer has actually arrived. FYI, I wrote this post trying a different browser...Firefox, instead of my usual Google Chrome. I didn't notice any difference, but Firefox politely welcomed me back and asked me if I wanted to "refresh." Well...who doesn't love a good refreshing? Since I didn't notice any improvement on performance of the new Blogger platform, I thanked Firefox, but said no. Refreshing is not necessary. I'll be back to Chrome tomorrow. You won't know the difference, but I like keeping you guessing.

13 comments:

Charlotte M. said...

I always use Firefox. I switched over to the new blogger platform last week, thinking you are right, no use putting it off. I didn't find it too hard, but I am not a fancy blogger. I do not like the way to resize pictures now, though. When you stretch them like that, they seem to come out blurry on the blog. I like making my pictures bigger so you can truly see them. I don't like blogs with tiny pictures where you can't see what is truly there. Enjoy your hair cut and pedicure. I am just sitting her shaggy and unkempt.

Julierose said...

Your cats are looking very elegant with their snowball corners...
I like the blocks set this way better than in the original panel setting...my lilies are budding, but I fear until we get some good rain, they will not bloom...none in sight either!! They are set in my fern and pachysandra bed right by our front walk...looking forward...to some kind of flowering.
Hugs from home base, Julierose Stay safe;)))

Quilting Babcia said...

Our hairdressers were able to begin accepting clients a couple weeks ago. When I went I wore my mask, just releasing the ear elastics and holding it to my face when she was sink-shampooing and then again when she was trimming near my ears. Slower for her and they can't take care of as many clients per day as before, but at least she is working again. Your psychedelic kitties are looking good, looks like it will be a fun project.

Lyndsey said...

The Cat quilt looks very interesting and the name you've given it definitely suits. Enjoy your haircut and pedicure. I need a trim as my hair has grown rather long but I'll leave it a while until the hairdresser has got the routine properly organised. Things are getting easier here in the UK but I am a little worried it is all moving rather fast. Having said that I did book a hotel for a weekend away at the end of July but I can cancel right up to 2 days before. If we see a spike I will be cancelling but I'm looking forward to a weekend away in the countryside and a couple of long walks.

Dorothy said...

I am very cheap. I use to pay $35-$40 for a haircut in a "salon" plus gas & time to drive there. I now get the same haircut in a "barber shop" for $12-$15, and I can walk to it :-) I am also getting my toes done on Friday--WA just opened for nail salons, WHOOPEE!!

Kate said...

You picked a beautiful palette of fabric for your fancy cats. Looking forward to seeing that project come together. I'd love to go for a hair cut, but since the cases here are rising so quickly, I've put that idea on pause for a bit longer.

SJSM said...

I’m liking the setting of the cat panel. You are enjoying thecprocess as any avid sewist who is on a roll. What a great feeling.

Our salon projected opening date is July 17. I have the first appointment on the 18th which is a Sunday. I do look forward to getting repackaged for the world. It’s been interesting seeing how everyone is managing their personal appearance during this time. All the newscasters are doing their own hair and makeup. They now look like all of the rest of us in the world. See, it is movie magic! That spit and polish projection is a lot of behind the scenes work done by professional artists.

Enjoy the sun, Cats, blooms and sewing.

SJSM said...

I’m liking the setting of the cat panel. You are enjoying thecprocess as any avid sewist who is on a roll. What a great feeling.

Our salon projected opening date is July 17. I have the first appointment on the 18th which is a Sunday. I do look forward to getting repackaged for the world. It’s been interesting seeing how everyone is managing their personal appearance during this time. All the newscasters are doing their own hair and makeup. They now look like all of the rest of us in the world. See, it is movie magic! That spit and polish projection is a lot of behind the scenes work done by professional artists.

Enjoy the sun, Cats, blooms and sewing.

piecefulwendy said...

Hope your haircut experience went well. I had mine done just a week or two ago, new cut too, which I don't really like, but eh, it'll grow out. We have hot weather coming this weekend, so we are soaking up the perfect weather we've been having. Your panel kitties are coming along well, your fur kitties are looking good too!

Nancy said...

Love the colors you've selected to go with your cat panels. Looks like a fun quilt, and eureka!- the pattern was right there for you. Your cats have lots of personality and are great companions. Good luck with your outings.

QuiltGranma said...

i love seeing your beautiful cats with their lovely furrz!

QuiltGranma said...

I love seeing your beautiful cats with their lovely furrz!

Magpie's Mumblings said...

That cat panel is pretty cute. I would be hard pressed not to bling it up with some beads (but that's my magpie heart coming to the fore). Your fabric choices are perfect I think. Looking forward to seeing this one progress!