6/22/20

All About the Cats

Yesterday's comings and goings included cats of all shapes and colors. We had a very nice father's day get-together with Erik and Mae. Erik smoked a pork shoulder, and then pulled it for pulled pork sandwiches. There was also potato salad, coleslaw, and tiramisu for dessert. Mainly, it was just good to see them. I've been missing them terribly during the pandemic quarantine. 

But let's just back up to earlier in the day, shall we? The morning always starts with slow stitching, and I filled in another section of my hoop. There was a little more done after this, and now there's just a little stitching left across the top. Then there's the running stitch around the edge. I might finish it this morning, but probably not until tomorrow.


When that was finished, we set free the cats. I followed them outside shortly after to check on the progress of the peony. I found Sadie honing in on something in the herb garden.


Smitty was just across the sidewalk, and he had something in his sites as well.


It must have been small game because I couldn't see it.

The petals on the peony were pulled back just a bit. It looked pretty much as it had the night before. This is the Garden Treasures peony. It was the last to form a bud, and there is only one for this first year.


I had high hopes it would open before the day was over. Back inside, I finished off the sage blossom vinegar. It looks just like chive blossom vinegar, but the fragrance and flavor are quite different.


In the sewing room, I finished piecing the "Fat Cat." 


From there, he still needed some details added in and some buttons added to his button down collar. 


He still needs a black flange and then a pieced red sashing. I'll probably finish him off today.

And that was pretty much all the day's work at home. We headed over to Erik and Mae's house for dinner. Matthew is still with us, and so he rode along. It was so nice to have the whole family together. We were greeted by these beautiful dahlias. Dahlias are the next most desired thing in our garden at home.


Their lilies were all abloom, and so lovely. They have so many colors. Look at this pretty red one.


Here's a pretty purple. I'm not sure I've seen this color before.


Those two were at the front door, and this next one was a little closer to the street.


Their Asian pear has a lot of fruit on it.


This is their Cherokee Purple tomato. We grew these in our greenhouse one year.


Their apple tree is huge and heavily laden with apples. Looks like there will be plenty for applesauce and apple pie filling this fall.


Their blueberries are coming along. This one is called "pink lemonade," but it isn't ripe yet. It gets its name for its pink color when it's ripe, but Erik says they actually do taste sweet, like pink lemonade.


Some of their blueberries are starting to ripen.


Clementine kept us entertained all afternoon and into the evening.


You might remember I did her pawtrait several months back.


Later, Cricket showed up. Cricket had other business to take care of, and so she was a little late to the pawty.


I've done her pawtrait as well.


They enjoy having little catnip tea parties with Mae.


Clementine showed us her I-vant-to-be-alone Greta Garbo position. All she needs is one of those long cigarette holders, and I think she'll have it down perfectly.


Oh yes, and several neighborhood cats showed up. This guy was the most friendly. It's a little hard to see him there. See if you can spot him. All the kitties are buddies, apparently.


So we enjoyed good food and good conversation and good wine, and then we said our good-byes. When we got home, I checked on the peony again. Not quite there. 


I've checked on it this morning too, and it still hasn't opened all the way. I expect it will when the sun hits it with its warming rays.

Our sunny weather has returned, and so I'll be doing some weeding and watering outside. Also, I want to finish off the Ties & Tails block. That will bring me to the end of my WIPS list, and to the project designated "Quilter's Choice." Quilter's Choice is a project of my choosing, but I need to be able to finish it off before month's end. I'm not accumulating any new WIPS, but trying to stay within a list short enough to make some progress each month. And all of that to say that my choice for now is to sew this panel from my friend Debi into a finished flimsy.


I've been perusing Pinterest for ideas, and I think I know just what to do. If I'm remembering correctly (always in question), there is some pretty purple fabric in my stash that will go perfectly with this.

Okay, so onward with the morning's slow stitching, and then I'll get to work. Have a good week, everybody!

7 comments:

Quilting Babcia said...

Wow, Erik and Mae's gardening skills really shine. Sounds like it was a perfect Fathers Day for Mike and the whole family. Sunny days ahead for you, that peony looks like it will be gorgeous when it finally decides to make its debut.

Vroomans' Quilts said...

It certainly was a day of cats - and all majestic species I might add - fur and fabric.

Della said...

I think of you every time I see my peony, which is completely finished for the season. My peony's are of the very old variety, all white. We inherited from the former owners of the house. But I love them and enjoy them. Your fathers day sounded lovely. We had dinner with our younger daughter and her husband. Son in law smoked a brisket and it was delicicous, along with all the other things they fixed. They got a new puppy for our granddaughter so there was much fuss over her all day (boxer).

pilch92 said...

You cats are all adorable. Fat Cat looks great as do your other cat quilt projects.

piecefulwendy said...

What fun to see those beautiful kitties, as well as the flowers and fruits coming along in your garden. Glad you could spend time together with Erik and Mae too. Sounds like a fun day all around!

Magpie's Mumblings said...

So many cute kitties to admire this time (including the fabric versions!). Our son was showing us their dahlias yesterday when we were skypeing with them - not quite in bloom yet.

Kate said...

Love the Fat Cat, he turned out pretty spiffy. Mae and Eric's garden is pretty spectacular. We had the SIT home for Father's Day, which was nice. It is pretty special when you can get the whole family together. It does get so much harder once they get older.