5/12/20

Two Little Finishes

The third little block for "I Believe in Snowmen" was finished yesterday, and so I'll put this project aside while I make my way through the list. When I pick this one up again, I'll be stitching the final three of the embroidered blocks.


With that finished, I made my daily trek to the greenhouse to wet things down. Along the way, I checked on my favorite blooming things. This is the fourth rhododendron to bloom. Most of its flowers have opened now.


Just getting started is the fifth and last of the rhododendrons to bloom. This is my favorite...the dark purple.


On my way to the greenhouse, I noticed the poppy again. In the image below, you can see all the buds that remain to open. It's going to be so much fun watching it. Do you think the peonies will bloom before it is finished?


Also, the golden chain tree is almost in full bloom. It has a lot of flowers this year. It's a rather scrawny thing...only planted two years ago, and then it had to survive falling over this past winter. It has only flowers right now, with no foliage to speak of. There's a big fir tree in the background, and so it's a little hard to differentiate between the two.


This is its most open flower. It still has a ways to go.


This is our third attempt at the golden chain tree. The first we planted was doing fine, but then fell over dead one day. I forget what happened to the second one...something similar I think. Both were planted in the same spot, and we believe it was too wet. This one has been relocated to higher ground, so I'm really hoping it will go. If not, we'll probably give up on the golden chain tree.

While I was standing there, Smitty came loping along. He was preparing to take a nice dust bath to wash off the Advantage on his neck furs. The kitties had a bad day yesterday.


I've switched out the suet feeder for the one that will frustrate the starlings. And look...there's one now. Don't you suppose he's mad about not being able to devour the suet cakes in a single bite?


Yesterday some blueberries we ordered arrived at the house. For now, they're hanging out with the cat grass and sunflowers in the greenhouse.


There's a place behind our garage where some butterfly bushes have become ridiculously large and ugly. (I now understand why butterfly bushes are banned from nursery sales in Oregon.) We're going to chainsaw them out this year. (By "we," I mean "he.") There are some raspberries growing there as well. Since Mike can't eat the raspberries, they're kind of a wasted effort, and so we're going to replace the whole landscaped area behind the garage with some blueberries. It's the one berry Mike can eat without problems, and I'll use them for chutneys, desserts, and baked goods. It's a logical choice.

Back inside, I finished off the top for Sweet Land of Liberty. When I wrote last, I was still deciding which fabrics to use. The fabrics I'd discussed seemed the best choices, and I added the little navy star cornerstones.


For the binding, I'll use that same red star fabric. The back will be from some scraps of this large star fabric.


This was the back for Mumm's the Word, finished back in 2017. This is my one other attempt at big stitch hand quilting. I didn't learn my lesson the first time.


Sweet Land of Liberty was my goal for May's


and so I'll link up there when the party starts at the end of the month.

For today, I'll get going on the stitching of the next "saucer" for Pieces of the Past. I'm looking forward to moving this along. I've loved this quilt since the first time I laid eyes on it.


There are a couple of things I need to do around the house, but then I'll get going on the quilting for the Shop Hop quilt. This is another one I'll be happy to get into the finished column. The quilting will be pretty simple, and so I don't think it will take more than a few days before it will be ready for binding.


Mike had to report for jury duty this morning. Yeah...can you believe that? Jury duty is pretty easy in our county, and we thought (mistakenly) that with the quarantine, it was unlikely he would be called. Well...wrong. He's required to bring a mask or have one provided. He's taking the one I made for him a few days ago. Also, they assured him they're practicing social distancing, but somehow neither of us finds that very reassuring. I'm just surprised they'd be going ahead with jury trials with everyone in masks and spread out across the courtroom. How does that even work in a "jury box"? I'm not a lawyer, but it seems to me any defendant in a criminal trial would have a good case on appeal if the trial is held with everyone's faces covered by masks. Whatever. As with so many things, no one consulted me when they embarked on this folly.

So Mike left this morning with his mask, a couple of Clif bars, and a little bottle of hand sanitizer. That means I have the place to myself for today. I should be able to get quite a bit done. We're back to our Oregon drizzle and gloom, and so I probably won't spend much time outside. It'll be a good day for sewing.

12 comments:

Connie W. said...

Looks like you did a great job on the borders issue. The stripes and cornerstones work well together.
Connie W.

Julierose said...

Lovely work on your Sweet Land of Liberty...
Jury Duty--really? I'll just bet some smart lawyers will be able
to definitely appeal--I mean masked jurists and judge???
Still chilly here...and windy ~ ~ ~ waving in the not too warm sun
Julierose

Vroomans' Quilts said...

Oh, so excited to see all those poppy buds waiting to show their pretty red heads. Nice finish to the Sweet Land. I passed on my Debbi Mumm top to two people (guild members). Yup, two. One took the main center to add a different border setting and the other took the little border blocks to make a whole new mini quilt. I may make this one again some time in the Fall - maybe I'll actually keep that one,

Celtic Thistle said...

Love the skiing snowman he looks like he's having fun! Just read your joining The Endeavourers group welcome aboard :) The challenges are great fun and the other members are so inspiring, you will fit right in :)

Gretchen Weaver said...

I so enjoy seeing all the blooms at your home. Finally today, it's warming up with no predicted freezes or frosts at night. I'm going to plant the bedding plants I purchased 2 weeks ago, finally! Enjoy your day alone, that sounds wonderful.

SJSM said...

We have drizzle here, too. A little late in the year for us. My first thought on the jury was how to protect them from influences from the gallery, seeing and hearing evidence and how many people will it take to monitor the courtroom. Yep, rife with reasons to appeal.

Enjoy your bonus sewing day.

Linda said...

I think that dark purple is my favorite also. I'm surprised about the jury duty. I can't imagine how that will work. Good luck with the blueberries. I finally had success in the last couple years. I have 6 that I started in 2016, and they grow bigger and "berrier" every spring.

piecefulwendy said...

I like your solution to Sweet Land of Liberty, I was hoping you'd sneak that stripe in there somewhere. Curious how the day went for Mike. We have an overcast day here today, but the temps will be okay. Tried sitting on the deck yesterday afternoon and got eaten by gnats. They aren't usually so bad, but they are in top form this year. I have bites all over the back of my neck. So today I'm going to stay in and sew.

Carole @ From My Carolina Home said...

Wow, being on a jury is a scary idea right now! All our courts are closed for in-person trials until June. Love your deep purple rhodo, mine are white with a tinge of pink, but they are wild ones.

Cheryl's Teapots2Quilting said...

Wow, most states have cancelled jury trials thru June.

Christine said...

Very interesting read about the Butterfly Bush. Thanks for the link, I did add my own comment.
I have several in my garden,lavender variegated leaves, purple, white, black and yellow. The yellow one is in bud at the moment as it flowers in the springtime. I will include a photo in my next Blog post.

Patty said...

Beautiful finish! Thanks for linking up with Elm Street Quilts One Monthly Goal and congrats on your finish!