5/3/20

Little Sprouts

As expected, I spent another day in the kitchen yesterday. It's all good. I like a good kitchen binge every now and then. It was worth it to have some beautiful bread and a pie to contribute to last night's little birthday party. You really want to see the pie, don't you? It is a thing of beauty.


It was delicious too. I cut it into eighths when I served it up, and so there are still three pieces left over for the three of us to have for dessert after dinner tonight. (Checks watch to see what time it is...not dinner for another 9 hours...shoot.)

Also, I told you I was in the process of trying out a new recipe for a no-knead sourdough bread. I totally love this dough. It was so nice to work with. When it came out of the oven it looked like this. Mmm, mmm, mmm.


I linked to the recipe and tutorial for this yesterday, but if you missed it, you can find it right here. Mae likes my bread, and so I made this loaf as a little gift for her. I was trying to do some fancy scoring on it. Can you tell?


We had such a nice little reunion last night. It's been months since our little family of five got together. I only took this one picture of Clementine. She was put out that someone had moved her little scratching lounge to the wrong location. When Mae put it back, it took Clementine a while before she was feeling better about this transgression and the indignation of it all.


Earlier in the day, I'd done my daily check and wetting down of the new seeds in the greenhouse. And lookie there! It's a little lettuce sprout!


Oooooh! There's another one!


There were a few more too. Also, some of the cat grass is sprouting. This one is so exuberant, it pushed its way to the top of the soil.


Okay, and so I've done a little investigation into the mystery of why the fifth of the five peonies hasn't sprouted any buds yet. It's well above ground, but checking every day, I don't see even a hint of any buds. So, I checked in with the folks on the Peony Lovers and Enthusiasts Facebook group and asked if it's unusual for peonies to not bloom in their first year. Someone responded with this link to an article. Since it was posted to Facebook, I can't link to it, and took screenshots on my phone instead. You can read if you're interested. If not, just scroll on by.

Basically, it says that planting root stock, as I did, you're asking the plant to reproduce asexually. (And that's the only thing allowed in my garden. Sheesh...plants. You have to watch them all the time, indecent things that they are.) And so, that means it may take the root stock a couple of years to produce flowers. But don't take my word for it...here's the article.





Okay...so everything you ever wanted to know about peonies. I haven't given up on it producing buds this year though. It still might come through. In the meantime, it makes me even more grateful that four of the five have produced buds. And according to this article, the flowers may not be as large, but I'll be happy with whatever flowers I get. 

Just then I typed "flour," which reminds me I'm baking one more loaf of bread today. I had two starters on my countertop this past week. One was to make a loaf for Mae, and one was for us. I used all bread flour in Mae's loaf, but ran out for ours. So I used the last of the bread flour and then supplemented with all-purpose flour. I'm curious if it will make a difference. We'll all find out after I've baked it off in a few hours. More about that tomorrow.

As it is, I've done no sewing for the past two days. Today, I'm going to sew my guts out. I doubt I can finish off the poppies today, but I'm hoping to get close. 

9 comments:

Julierose said...

When we moved here I uprooted my peony and brought her (they are fem right?) with us--it took 3 years before she granted us a flower...
I guess they don't like to be moved.
A no energy day here...simple leftover bean soup for dinner so that is good...~ ~ ~ waving a little Julierose

CathieJ said...

My mouth is watering. That bread looks absolutely delicious. I am assuming that is a lemon meringue pie....I may be wrong. If so, that is one of my favorites. Now a need a piece of the lemon bread I made recently.

Gretchen Weaver said...

Life it too short to save pie for the end of the day, I would have had my piece for breakfast! Your bread looks lovely, I need to get a lame. I'm hoping to visit King Arthur in Vermont this fall, I have a long list of items to be purchased. Have a great sewing week!

Carole @ From My Carolina Home said...

That sourdough looks scrumptious! I do love an artisan style bread. It is fun when little seeds sprout. I got my tomatoes all planted, finally, this week. Looking forward to a bumper crop, at least I hope so!

piecefulwendy said...

I miss my peony bushes. I'd like to plant more, but I don't have a good site figured out yet. I love the smell of them. Speaking of smell, I'm pretty sure I can smell that bread, which looks delicious! I didn't sew one wit yesterday; sat and read a whole book. And I'm okay with that.

Linda said...

My Mom's favorite pie, and it looks delicious. I'm catching up on several of your posts and really loving all your blooming things and the baking and sewing room activities! And of course the kitties. I lol'd at them climbing the cherry tree. And happy birthday to you!

Natureluvr57 said...

Love meringue pie-the more the better. Now I want to make a lemon meringue one. When we moved here 43 years ago someone had planted pink peonies in each corner of the front yard and were already mature and blooming their hearts out. It's been that way ever since. Dad planted a deep red and white one. The red one died and it seems like forever before the white one bloomed. I can't remember when he planted it but he passed away in 1995 and the plant is still rather small compared to the huge pink ones. I never heard that saying and peonies are supposed to creep? Ours are in the exact same place unlike so many other plants. We have never fed them and last year I was watching a garden show where they said to feed them. I'm almost afraid to change anything-some plants don't like change. I feed almost all my plants except the peonies, hosta and trumpet vine. Have a great day

suzanprincess said...

Long before bread flour was readily available I learned to make my own by adding 1 teaspoon gluten flour to each cup of all purpose or whole wheat flour. Now that all wheat flour seems to be in short supply, maybe the time for this knowledge has returned! Dave's Red Mill offers gluten flour, some health or specialty stores do also, and WinCo Foods used to carry it in the bulk bins, and may still.

kc said...

I've missed your posts, been busy making masks for the community.. and went and got swabbed today. Why you ask? Just cuz I could, truth be told. I tried to seek the antibodies present test, but that's not what they were giving. All fingers crossed for, today you are negative results. Which will prove nothing other than today you were negative.

Bread looks super, but our is gorgeous!! I read every word of your FB screenshot, thanks for posting it. I will look forward to planting peonies again if/when we get a piece of dirt to call our own. Looove the looks and smell of em.