4/4/20

Top-Stitching and Beyond

You know even on my best days, the grocery store wears me out. These days grocery shopping are the worst days. Yesterday's trip wasn't so bad, and there weren't even many people in the store. It seems the 9:00 a.m. hour hits the sweet spot for relatively well-stocked shelves and lack of crowds. I was still perplexed by the number of people I saw with children in tow...children old enough to stay at home...and young couples. It's not a judgment, but it does seem exposure to self and others could be limited by sending just one person. And all of that to say that I took a nap after lunch. I was exhausted after my outing, and the nap felt good.

Despite getting into the sewing room late in the day, I finished getting the Dancing Chickens and Flying Pigs block ready for hand embroidery. The applique is top-stitched, and anything else I could do by machine is finished.


You can see there isn't a lot of hand embroidery on this one, so it shouldn't take too long.

My kitty helpers were in short supply yesterday, but I did catch Smitty and Mike engaging in one of their "bromance" times. Smitty was distracted by birds outside the window.


Smitty and I have been getting outside for walks between rain showers. The grass hasn't been mowed since before we left on our trip, and so he's finding the harvest for nibbling to be of excellent quality right now. On the "bummer" side of things, there are a lot of muddy mole hills, and he doesn't like stepping into them and messing up his tidy white paws.

We're expecting more rain today, but improving weather over the next week. I'm actually looking forward to getting outside and picking a daily bucket of weeds. The yard is such a mess right now, and it's hard to look at it, knowing how much time it will take to clean it all up. Mike seems a little perkier this morning too. I'm just so grateful his symptoms are on the mild side of things.

For today's sewing, I might get the Appalachian Memories stitchery finished. It's pretty close, but it might be a two-day job. Hard to say until I get going on it. As for machine-sewing, I'm going to get back to sewing together bonus triangles. My hope is to get them all sewn together and into some kind of quilt top by the end of the month.

Also, I'm tempted to bake some more bread. I have a white sourdough starter going, but it doesn't seem active enough for baking yet. Nevertheless, I have some yeast in my fridge, and so I might just make a traditional loaf of white. Matthew is cooking dinner tonight, and it's nice to have fresh bread to contribute. I hope you are all well and making do under the conditions. Patience and calm are my watchwords these days.

9 comments:

JoannU said...

Barbara, I love reading your blog each day and hearing about your life. Your quilting, your kitties, your family, and your aversion to grocery shopping--I think we are sisters! I teach two-and-a-half year olds in a daycare, one of those "essential" people, so I am still heading off to work each day. As soon as I get home and sit in front of the computer, I have to check out Cat Patches. I think we must live near each other; many of the places you talk about walking to or visiting are near me. Maybe someday we can cross paths at a coffee shop and bring some show and tell. Would love to see some of your kitty quilts in person! Keep up the great work, and stay safe! Joann

Julierose said...

I agree--Serenity Now -- I watched news last night and was
gob-smacked again by those projections...
SO...no news today--had trouble sleeping last night; I need to just calm myself. I guess we all have this on our minds...

Your house block came out so lovely...I need practice on my machine appliqueing...so the dresdens help a lot with that...

I began working on my RSC light blues...fishing around for older(faded looking kind of) flowery fabrics...

I also made two courthouse Steps blocks...

Tootled my flute for 25 minutes...it's coming along...

waving tirelessly ~ ~ ~ Julierose ;)) stay safe now...

Lyndsey said...

I've been making bread since working from home. It's such a pleasurable task to do and the finished product is tasty. I still can't make up my mind on a new quilt to start so I did loads of cleaning instead. It's good to hear Mike is perkier.

Cathy said...

It’s nice to hear that Mike is feeling better. And I love the “bromance” picture. It always warms the cockles of my heart when Alfalfa and Bruce snuggle and do their male bonding thing. I used to love grocery shopping. But with this corona virus thing and lots of near-empty shelves, coupled with the horrible remodel that our favorite grocery store did (dark floors, LED lighting but less of it, especially in the produce department) (didn’t they learn that awful lesson in the eighties?), it’s like shopping in the Soviet Union.

Quilting Babcia said...

So good to hear that Mike is beginning to feel better. I made bread from my DOA sourdough starter. Added yeast and a few other ingredients, no recipe. Not tasted yet but it did smell good coming from the oven. Probably the cinnamon and brown sugar, lol.

Linda said...

I'm glad Mike is better. I'm thinking that Smitty's lap time has a lot to do with it.
I guess yesterday was a bread baking day. I made Outback Steakhouse bread, and I saw your beautiful loaf on Instagram.
Looking forward to views of your bonus triangles.

piecefulwendy said...

Grocery shopping is like a strategic event now, as if it wasn't before. It's just ramped up a bit. So I understand how you feel. Glad to know that Mike is feeling a bit better. I hope you don't get it. Smitty is looking handsome as ever. I'm going to do some sewing later today, but first I have to finish a birthday cake for my son's birthday today.

kc said...

Patience, calm and bromance, perfect! Your house turned out well, I bet the lady of that house is baking bread right now too. :) Glad to hear Mike is improving every day.

Have you made yourself a mask yet? They are mandated for us here now, but we are ahead of the curve, been wearing them in public for several days now. I've mailed several off to friends in FL and have a stack more to go out as soon as I get my nose pieces resupplied (thank you, USPS) and inserted. Hardest part for me is finding fabric pieces large enough to utilize. What's making it even harder, is knowing exactly what is on storage. In FL. Not much left under the bed, quilt shop closed. I know several fabric warehouses are closed too. And Joann fabrics not worth a crap!

quiltzyx said...

I can just smell the bread baking at your house! Aaaahhh. I would like to do that, but I know I'm too lazy. Plus, I would just eat it all!! I'd have to be buying butter all the time too! LOL

Yeah, it's too bad that Smitty & Mike just don't get along at all. Hah! Glad Mike is on the mend.