4/2/20

The Trouble with Cats

There are only fabric cats on today's post. The furry ones were in short supply yesterday. I suppose with all the sewing going on these days, they may be striking for higher wages with the increased demand. I have noticed them hanging out next to their treat bowls, carrying signs, and singing protest songs. Until now, I hadn't really wondered what all the fuss was about.

For yesterday's sewing, I was finishing off the first of the Ties & Tails blocks by adding on the pieced sashings. The first step was to add a black flange. It was supposed to be blue, according to the pattern. I looked for something blue, but then did it in black when I couldn't find anything appropriate.


When it was all sewn together, I found the blue piece I'd pulled at the very beginning. Of course, I did. Oh well...another time for the blue, I suppose. For this, I'll stick with black, and no one will be the wiser. You won't tell, will you?

So the next step was to cut 2-1/2 inch squares for the pieced sashing. I'm doing this block by block so I don't have to cut so many at the end. The pattern provides a diagram for the sashing, and I counted out how many I would need: 4 vertical rows of 15 each, and 2 horizontal rows of 6 each, for a total of 72. Then, I picked out any of the smallest red scraps that could be cut into a 2-1/2 inch square. When I was finished, I had more than I needed, and so the extras will get used for the next block.


The upper and lower sashing worked out just fine...6 squares each.


Then, I sewed together four rows of 15 squares each for the vertical sashings. When they were all sewn together, I realized I had one block to many. I counted again on the diagram...twice...then I looked at the pattern cover and counted there. If you can see that well enough, you'll count 14 squares in those vertical rows. Drat.


Oh well...I removed one square from each row, and then all was well. I sewed them to the quilt block, and this one was finished. Next time, I'll know to count on the pattern cover and ignore what the instructions say. It's starting to look as if I'll need to do everything on this quilt wrong first before I can do it right.


So that took up my entire sewing day. Lucky for us, Matthew was cooking last night. Matthew was never much of a cook until the Instant Pot came into his life. Now, he's an Instant Pot convert, and he's making some delicious food with his one cooking vessel. Last night's dinner was a yummy pot roast. The broth was from Madeira (Have some Madeira, m'dear?), and it was delicious. I had some frozen bread that I baked off to soak up all that yummy broth.


We've worked out a deal where Matthew does the cooking on Wednesday and Saturday nights. I love to cook, but I like a day off now and then too. With all the restaurants closed, it's nice to have someone else pick up the slack two days out of the week.

Speaking of Matthew, today is his 36th birthday. We had planned a family get-together for this evening, and we were going to smoke a turkey that's been sitting in the freezer. Then, we thought Lyndsey might be joining us, fresh back from her trip to Bali. We wanted to give her time to self-quarantine, and so we moved it to Sunday. Then, Lyndsey got caught up in flight cancellations and border closings, and so she's still in Bali, unable to get back to the USA. She'll stay in Bali until all this passes. We were sticking with our Sunday date, but with Mike still sick, we decided to cancel our family get-together. We'll still do the turkey, but it will be just the three of us on Sunday.

Instead, I'm making a lasagna and Caesar salad, and I'm going ahead with plans to bake an angelfood cake for dessert. I was able to score some fresh strawberries for the topping. Mike's will be a coffee'd up version of the same dessert, sans strawberries. It doesn't seem very festive to me, but Matthew will be happy with it.

Some of you have asked about Mike. His symptoms are mild, and we still have no way of knowing if he has COVID-19, but it seems the most likely explanation. He had a telephone conversation with his doctor a few days ago (on another matter), and the COVID questions came up. The doctor told him to keep doing what he's doing, and that his symptoms didn't warrant testing. It makes me wonder how many people are in the same situation. The reports we hear of infections are only of "confirmed" cases, which means there are a whole lot more people infected than what we're hearing. It really makes no difference, but it's hard to know how to behave when there's so much uncertainty.

Today I'm going to make a couple of masks for our family to use when we go out, and then I'm going to make up the next block for the Dancing Chickens and Flying Pigs. It's next up for embroidery, but I need to do the applique sections first. Appalachian Memories will be finished in the next few days, and I'll want the Dancing Chickens ready to go.

16 comments:

Robin said...

Beautiful cat block there Barbara. You're inspiring me to try quilts like this. Great post. I always look forward to your posts.

Julierose said...

Lovely work on that "jazzy" Cat block--lotsa piece there...;)))
Hope hubby doesn't get any worse...but we think the scariest thing is that some people are just carriers with no symptoms--so there is no way to tell without a test who has it and who doesn't...scarey...
Stay safe now ~ ~ ~ waves from Windy CT julierose ;)))


QUILTING IS BLISSFUL, DI said...

I love the big "bossy' lookin cat!!!
and I too made masks today--10 of them--and I used the little tiny string kind of elastic--so had to sew each end pc of the elastic on each end by hand--then I could sew it by machine and have it stay in the seam--I gave the kitchen staff 4 of them--they were so excited--said the paper ones they had --they had been wearing all week and they were really no good any more!!
luv, di

Sandra W said...

I wonder about the homemade masks. I guess they are better than nothing.
If Mike has covid19 (and as you noted how will you ever know?) I'm surprised you aren't ill as well. Or motto is stay home stay safe. Luckily our situation allows us to do this.
I hope Mike continues to improve.
And to cheer myself up I decided to read The Plague by Albert Camus. Ha, ha.
Keep safe.

Debbiegsp said...

My daughter gave me this quote from online: “I’m out of TP, so now I’m using lettuce. Today is the tip of the iceberg, tomorrow romaine’s to be seen.” My son says he will never enjoy a lettuce wrap again. Sorry, if we don’t laugh, we will all go crazy!!! Oops, maybe we have, and that’s why we’re buying up all the tissue rolls!

Vroomans' Quilts said...

I think the black sets this dapper lad right off proper. Nice to share the cooking with others and that looks delish. Yesterday was a 'drop on the porch' day - eggs delivered, a student picked up her machine, someone dropped off scraps, some masks dropped here and then picked up by another to deliver.

QueenB said...

Barbara,I love seeing all you make. The cats with Ties and Tails are cute and you are very clever. Thanks for all your pictures of your furry helpers I make sure to go to your blog every day. It always brighten's my day You're probably correct & Mike has COVID-19 but if his symptoms stay as they are it's a mild case and he is better off at home than in hospital.
I think many are in the same situation and others will never know if they have had it or not.
Stay well and keep sewing & embroidering.
Simone in Melbourne Victoria Australia.

kc said...

Oh, he's really a dapper doodle now! Personally, I love the black and think, if you can, stick with it. I enlarged the cover photo (and remember, I'm on the phone, so enlarged is a relative term here) (damn, where was I going with that thought??)... Oh yeah, I enlarged the cover photo and saw the pops of blue in the sashing squares. When I first read that the flange was supposed to be blue, I wondered WHY?? But, now I know. I prefer the black, and I'll never spill your beans.

I'm so sorry to hear Mike isn't feeling well. I'm sure you have heard and read lots of advice...Please, make sure he continues drinking lots of hot beverages. I understand that helps break up the phlegm in his lungs, and that helps prevent pneumonia and eventual drowning. It has been my contention all along, that with no (or very minimal) testing, there are no cases. And all my business life, I have heard figures lie- you can make the numbers say anything you want them to say. I also say that this whole thing was started in a laboratory and was planned. But, that's a whole 'nother story, and probably not one you care to discuss. At least, not here. Prayers that you continue to stay well and he recovers quickly.

Happy birthday to Matthew and Godspeed to Lindsay.

Christine said...

I too had all the symptoms. .was in bed five days, some beyond strength to eat some soup, my doctor said the same thing. Unless you are at hospital you don't get tested. My family have had mild symptoms so I worked it out on the 'chicken pox' system.. if you catch it from someone older you get it milder, someone younger you are bad. I am the eldest in my family. lol.
Hope you all remain ok and Mike gets better soon. Enjoy the quiet birthday celebrations...bet they'll be great once this is all over.
Xx




SJSM said...

I’m happy to hear Mike is holding in there. In reading about the virus, there seems to be a great desire to test people for antibodies after this first wave is over. The purpose is to prepare for the second wave. The people who test positive for antibodies would then be at least temporarily immune. The thought is if enough immune people are available during the next round a complete shutdown of industry would not be required. Those with immunity could work and get groceries for family who are in high risk categories. High risk people and those with no antibodies would shelter in place the next wave. How you would control that, I have no idea. At this point it is an idea being pursued. I’m making more masks, too. Another hospital requested some and our ASG groupmis stepping up again. Some people crank 20-50 out in just a few days. I do maybe a dozen or so. I’m the great enabler but have puny output.

Lyndsey said...

The cat block is great. Happy birthday Matthew, it's a shame you can't celebrate with all the family. It's our older daughters birthday next weekend so we have postponed it until later in the year. Her wedding has also been postponed. Wishing Mike a good recovery. The majority of people in the UK who've had covid haven't been tested so the numbers aren't accurate at all. Take care.

gpc said...

How nice to have another cook in the family! I hope Mike continues to do well and that the rest of you avoid infection. It kind of DOES matter that people are not being tested, it means that the projections we are seeing are not based on good data and it makes it harder to figure out how long and where further quarantine is going to be needed. This health fiasco will be the subject of study for decades to come. But for now, let's all just hunker down and enjoy those quiet birthdays. By the way, I'll be humming cat protest songs in my head all day now.

piecefulwendy said...

That's one snazzy cat, black tie and all! Thanks for the update on Mike. Sorry about the changes to the family gathering, but I know you'll make up for it once this has all passed. Happy Birthday to Matthew! Our son's birthday is Sunday, and we're pondering how best to celebrate. It will be quiet, we do know that much.

Key Elements said...

I made that cat quilt.... love it and won a ribbon at the the Orange County Fair... 1st Place! MI made all the ties with cat material. I do not recall having any pattern problems.
Here is my finished Ties and Tails... hope you like it.
http://keysofelements.blogspot.com/2017/04/completed-ties-and-tails-meeting-famous.html
Stay healthy and happy,
Hugs

Cheryl's Teapots2Quilting said...

It could just be the flu. They diagnosed me with the flu, then pneumonia back in February. Hope Mike is better by now.

quiltzyx said...

Sorry to hear that Mike's under the weather. We've been thinking here at work that some of us may have had it in Dec. or January, mildly, and all recovered. I heard on the same thing on the radio this morning - that it may have been here in CA way back in November even, so we have some "herd immunity". Whatever, stay home, wash your hands & stay safe!
Sent my b'day wishes to Matthew through you on Facebook earlier - yay!