4/20/20

Sunny Monday

The weather never improved much after I wrote my post yesterday...not until late afternoon, that is. This morning it's bright and sunny, and that can mean only one thing: Gardening. Mike and Matthew are getting geared up to turn our years-long-neglected vegetable garden into something again. We last planted vegetables shortly before I took my trip to Ireland...and if you've been reading that long, well, what can I say? We must be family by now! Anyway...we planted the garden just before I left on my ten-day trip, and when I came back, absolutely nothing had come up. And let me just say that planting a vegetable garden is a LOT of work. It was so much work putting it in that I actually went back many years to find the picture of it not growing:


 It was so disappointing we swore off vegetable gardening ever again...until now. Just this morning I was reading that COVID has done something nobody else has been able to do: get us in our kitchens and cooking at home. And, well, I've been a stay-at-home cook for a long time. Looks like COVID is going to get us back to growing our own food again too.

So all of that to say that Mike is actually spraying weeds today, which means Matthew will be helping me get the culinary herb garden cleaned up. It needs weeding, and trimming, and raking. The sage plant is taking over the entire garden, and so I'll enlist Matthew's help whacking it back to a more manageable size. Most disappointing is that none of the chives came back this year. You might recall from years gone by they've come up thick as hair on a dog's back.


I've used them to make chive blossom vinegar and chive blossom jelly, and we've had fresh chives on our baked potatoes. Who knows what happened to them? Not a single one has come up. I can only think the winter was colder than we realized. So, I'm sort of hoping we'll find some struggling to reach the sun when we whack back the sage plant, but I'm not really expecting it. I'll probably need to replant. Hopefully, I'll be able to find seeds. Seeds are just the latest item to become scarce.

Okay, so getting back to yesterday, I finished off my latest embroidery piece, and I didn't have another one made up yet. That meant Mulligan Stew got my undivided attention yesterday. Although I haven't shown this quilt for a while, I've been working on it in small bites along with my other morning slow stitching. The area inside the pink line is quilted now.


You can see that just the corners and the borders are left. I'm focusing on getting each corner finished, and then I'll stitch around the border. Come hell or high water, I will finish this quilt before the end of the year. But if I die first, will one of you please finish it for me? Pretty please? I'd hate to die thinking it was unfinished after all the stitching I've already done on it. As an added bonus, you can even keep the quilt! Or not. It would be your choice, of course.

Since I didn't have any other slow-stitching prepared, my first task was to get the next stitchery ready. This next one is just a peek. It's another pay-it-forward gift for friend. I don't actually know if she reads my blog, and so I'll hold off posting a whole picture until it's in her hands. For now, this is all you get.


I've actually done this one before in another pay-it-forward effort. I really liked it the first time around, and so I'm happy to do it again. It gives me a chance to use some more of that pretty pansy fabric.

Okay and so then I got back to work in the sewing room. I sewed together the Trashy Crocus quilt. This only took about an hour. It will be a donation quilt for Quilts for Kids.


Digging through my stash, I came out with this one as a back. They don't go together exactly, but I think it'll be good enough. Also, this gave me an idea for a different name for the quilt altogether. I was thinking of something like Pink Sorbet or Pink Lemonade or Strawberry Ice.


Quilts for Kids quilts have to be bound by machine, and so just a bit of this will be folded to the front for the binding. It's hard to see from the two images I've given you, but the bright pink in the polka dots from the front is the same color as the pink for the back.

And then, this bud from the garden inspired me to start a new project.


I'm so hoping it will turn into this:


And so, I'm egging it on by making this quilt. It's been in my PINS pile (Projects I Never Started) for quite some time.


It's yet another pattern by Jane Kakaley. They are utterly engrossing once I get started on them, and so it seems like a good way to pass the time while I wait for the actual poppy bud to open. And I'm hoping there will be more than one!

So, anyway, I first needed to sort my blue scraps into piles of light, medium, and dark values. There are only three gradients of blue. Of course Sadie was here to assist in this endeavor. She's so incredibly helpful.

When she got tired, Smitty took over. Many paws make light work, you know.


The poppy quilt is in a 28 x 40 block grid. I've divided it up into 16-patch sections, and this one was first.


I'd pretty much used up my sewing day by the time I got this far...only two sections finished.


I spent the rest of the day sorting the red scraps into five piles of light to dark. The reds are hard to discern. When I work on this quilt again, I'll be starting with the first of the red poppies.

Okay, and then...a little blog housekeeping. Some of you wrote about my post from April 16th when all of my pictures magically converted to this bit of loveliness:
At first I thought y'all had lost your collective minds because it looked just fine at my end. But then I tried uploading some pictures the next day. They all uploaded from the camera just fine, but then magically converted to this same annoying image before I could even upload them to the blog. Oy. Checking in at the Blogger help community, others were complaining about it as well. Blogger posted that it was aware of the problem and "working on it." I kept hoping they'd fix my pictures in the process, but they never did. It was bothering me to see it like that and so I fixed all the pictures this morning. If you're of a mind to go back and take a look, you can see that poor sad little post...so old already...right here. Mostly, I just wanted to take this opportunity to emulate our President by saying, "It wasn't my fault! I take no responsibility!" Or something like that.

Okay, so some slow-stitching and then some gardening. That's where I'm headed. What are you up to today?

15 comments:

Julierose said...

Looks like you will have a good-sized garden plot.
The most i can do is a few herbs and some tomatoes in pots on our
back deck...i do miss my veggie-growing --though my back doesn't...
~ ~ ~ from beneath cloudy skies today Julierose

Lyndsey said...

I got that same sad image on one of my posts from last week. When I queried it I was told there are too many folks using the system but we're trying to fix it. I went back and reloaded the photo. The poppy mosaic will look fabulous and hopefully your poppy bud will follow suit.

QUILTING IS BLISSFUL, DI said...

I also have a blogpost I see from last week with mostly those symbols on it--guess I will have to try and go back and see what I might have put in each section--grrrrr!!!
Be sure to plan your garden by the moon--go get a Farmer's almanac and go by that--and you will have a lovely garden!
I have been seeing alot of really pretty red poppy fabric in the last couple days on some of the fabric sites--and a pattern or two of red poppies--makes me want to make something with red poppies too!!
luv, di

Shepherdess55 said...

I hope you have a wonderfully productive garden this year.

My vote goes to Pink Lemonade for the Quilt for Kids. The backing piece has glasses and slices that could be cross-cut slices of lemons.

gpc said...

That symbol has replaced my photos going back quite a way, so I am going to wait . . . too many to fix, so hoping they will get their act together. I print my blogs at the end of each year, and it will not be much of a book of my photos don't print. By the way, don't die, but I will gladly finish your quilt if it comes to that. I would appreciate if you would get a lot more done first, though, so that I have just a few inches to do, enough to claim it is 'mine.' You're welcome.

Tish R said...

Hah! I have a ginger, named Solomon, who is also my "helper," whether I need one or not, to ALWAYS come and check on - any - project I am working on. Of course his favorite spot is always under my table lamp, which I use for ongoing eye issues. He sits under it like a plate of french fries ready to be served, while inspecting my work! But you know, I would miss his company, and free advice if I didn't have it. :)

Love your mosaic quilts, keep thinking I want to make one but when I see all the little pieces I always put it on the back burner. Beautiful quilts!

quiltzyx said...

I vote for "Pink Lemonade" too!

Gosh, your Poppy photo & the Poppy Mosaic look just alike!! Very cool. Good thing you have your 2 helpers working on this one too. :)

Vroomans' Quilts said...

Oh, I love that poppy pattern. Take your time with it and enjoy it as it grows - like the flower itself. My helpers have been loafing off - think they are still mad at me for taking them to the Vet. Although, with the bitty pieces I have been working with it may be a blessing not to have them rearranging.

Gretchen Weaver said...

The same thing happened to my blog. I redid the 2 posts it affected. I had noticed this problem on other posts too. I just thought it was something I did, glad to know it wasn't. Good luck with the garden. If you have lots of squirrels in your area, you need to make covers for any small plants in the garden. Chicken wire works well, cut 24" across the width of the mesh. Fold it to make a long V, turn over and cover your plants but maybe your squirrels aren't as crazy as mine who like to eat the plants in the garden!

Joan G said...

I also vote for Pink Lemonade. By some miracle I have a yellow poppy blooming - it makes me happy to see it. Hope yours appears soon. My son and I planted lettuce, peas, and onions in our small garden plot last night. We have never grown those at this house, so we will see what comes up. Every year we plant a few rows of sunflowers which are our favorites. Love your quilts!

piecefulwendy said...

If you die before you finish (please don't) -- I'll finish it for you, promise. I like the story behind those blocks and the quilt itself. I'm so sorry about your chives. Hope you can find seeds. If not, let me know and I'll hunt for some here if you like. Sadie really adds to your quilt room and looks like she takes her role very seriously - haha. Wilbur has decided he much prefers the guys to me lately. Doesn't even like hanging in the sewing room with me; just leaves and goes to sleep on our bed. Not sure what's up with that, but hope he gets over it soon. That poppy quilt will be fun. I'll be working on my challenge quilt today. I need to get it done so I can do something fun.

Linda said...

Good luck with the garden this time around. They do take a lot of work. I'm looking forward to watching your progress on Poppy Mosaic. I really enjoy your mosaic work. I've been seeing that pesky photo fail sign a lot on Blogger. I just assumed it was our slow internet. Blogger . . . UGH! They are always "working on" something.

QuiltGranma said...

thank you for sharing the blog that went - last week. I love seeing your pictures!

kc said...

I really like that pink backing fabric and I think it will look really nice pulled to the front. I JUST learned how to do that on my customer's quilt, and I have now done it a 2nd time, on our recliner throw. Sure is a lot easier than cutting, sewing, pressing, sewing, folding, and sewing again. How did I ever have the patience for all that anyway? And, don't even get me started on making the mitered corners! Seeeew much easier this way!

Your garden looks like it has the potential to impressive... But you need some compost in that dirt! Is it too late to get some chicks? Of course, you'll need an aviary to go with, but the two resident engineers could pop that puppy right out for you...

Good thing fur yer helpers.. otherwise you'd get done sorting way to quick! Lol I can't wait to see your progress on the poppy mosaic. Would be really cool if the quilt and plant bloomed together! I recognized that pansy fabric even before you confirmed it. Yup, definitely still my favorite!

Judy1522 said...

I gave up on gardening a few years ago when I had the same problem. Not much of what I planted grew. My daughter who lives near us, wants to work with me on doing raised garden planters so I may try that next year because it wont' be happening this year.
I thought the problem with the pictures was on my end because some of them did show up. I will go back and look at them now.