3/6/20

The Sun Sets on Picacho Peak

We're moving on today, heading for Parker, Arizona. We chose Parker because everything in Lake Havasu City is booked. But London Bridge is in Lake Havasu City, and so we'll find it and have a look, probably tomorrow. There's also a quilt shop there, so be sure and get your credit cards warmed up.

As for yesterday's comings and goings, the morning hike to see the wildflowers was about the extent of our movement yesterday. After that, we took naps and hung around for the rest of the day. I wanted to back up and say something about these two flowers posted yesterday.



A few of you guessed hollyhocks, and I was willing to go along with that. My friend Marei didn't think so, however, and Marei is very smart about these things. She said the seed pods were the wrong shape, and so I looked up "desert mallow" this morning to see what I could find. If you click right here, you can read more about what it says. Here are a couple of images, and this is why I thought it might be the same plant. the flowers and foliage are very similar.



And the article states that these grow from Baja California and north into Utah. Also, it comes in pink tones. Another name for the same flower is "Desert Hollyhock." So...all of us are right. Yay, us!

Okay, so the only other thing I did yesterday was to sew the buttons on my finished stitched inchies piece.


I'm not happy with that middle button. I really needed a button with four holes to do what I was trying to do, and so that one will probably get replaced when we get home. My plan is to finish this one off similarly to the one I did last year. Here's a picture


I'll use the pansy print I picked up this trip to put a border around it,


and I'll hand quilt it. Probably I'll use that same pink thread from before.

So the sunsets. I never get tired of sunsets, and I'd hoped yesterday's would turn into something spectacular.


The clouds were a little too dense to turn the sky bright red, but I took these two pictures about 20 minutes apart. Still pretty.


So that's all I have for you today. We have just under 250 miles to travel today, and so we need to get going.

8 comments:

Julierose said...

Your finished Inchies is lovely--you are inspiring me to begin working on it...I don't have an embroidery going presently...I will have to collect threads...
The sunsets are just stunning...gorgeous colors--yet so fleeting...we are getting a lot of pink/red/yellow ones here lately. Thom and I have our "cocktail" hour about that time each evening and love to watch the skies changing colors --mostly ending with lavenders and deep grays...
thanks for sharing them with us...hugs, Julierose

QUILTING IS BLISSFUL, DI said...

Lovely sunset photos--love sunrises and sunset photos--
I got my buttons on mine --but I added a few really small novelty buttons to mine also--and to day I got the border on it and found batting and backing and it is even basted for hand quilting--but--there are several projects that I need to be working on--so not sure which one will win out for working on it today once I am off here???
happy travels-
luv, di

Vroomans' Quilts said...

Glad we cleared up the Mallow or Holly Hock dilema. Wow, stunning work on this stitchery and the pansy print will make a nice border to frame it off.

Vroomans' Quilts said...

Glad we cleared up the Mallow or Holly Hock dilema. Wow, stunning work on this stitchery and the pansy print will make a nice border to frame it off.

5th Daughter Quilts said...

I’m loving your inches! I think the pansy border will be the perfect finish for it. I agree with the thoughts on your flower picks from the mallow family. I have often thought of suggesting the inaturalist app for you. It’s one of the best apps for identifying all Flora and fauna. In the app you load a picture of the item you want identified and the approximate location, the app will then return suggestions which you can further examine. Often times horticulturalists will verify your assumption. Check it out and if you have questions, let me know. Loving your travels through the desert Southwest.

Carol- Beads and Birds said...

You have me wondering what determines what colors are in Sunsets. Maybe I'll go off to The Google Machine. Maybe not because that is as bad as Pinterest. Good to know about that plant. Love your inchies.
xx, Carol

quiltzyx said...

Congrats on your finished inchies! Question: I know each one is representing a letter of the alphabet, but I don't get what the sort of heart-shaped flower has to do with "S"?

Thanks for more beautiful sunset photos too.

Beth said...

Oh, your stitchery is so, so pretty! And there is something so pleasing about a set, or a series, isn't there? Now that there will be two of them, each of them is even better! Yay, you! Thanks for sharing.