3/11/20

Quilt Shop: The Quilter's Faire, Palm Desert, California

There was no plan to visit a quilt shop in yesterday's wanderings, but with the rain, it seemed like a good idea...to me. While I was in the quilt shop, Mike scoped out YouTube videos looking for the perfect RV toilet paper. The one we're using is not dissolving as it should, and so he was on the hunt for something a little less sturdy. As it turns out Charmin Ultra Soft is the winner in that category. Who knew? And all this focus on toilet paper to tell you that when we went looking for it, we found the shelves bare in every single store. Oy. Honestly. Has everyone had the sh*t scared out of them from Coronavirus? What is the focus on TP, pray tell? (Rhetorical...not looking for an answer.) So anyway...with that little diatribe out of the way, please allow me to tell you about the quilt shop.

It was located in one of those industrial parks. Fortunately, it was seen from the road, and so we had no problem locating it once we drove into the parking lot.


Walking through the front door, it looked like this. It was a busy place with lots of color.


Looking left, I saw this:


Looking right, I saw this:


Walking left, there were some very pretty fabrics. These below all had metallic gold. They were tempting as all get-out. It was early in my meanderings, however, and so I moved on.


Oooooh...look at those stripes! They will be mine. Oh yes. They will be mine.


To the right of those was this cute snail quilt. I kind of think I saw someone making this one on a blog.


This is the pattern...no note of the designer, but I imagine it can be found online. The store has a web presence right here.


Turning the corner, there were some pretty prints. The fabrics in this store didn't seem organized in a way that could be easily categorized. Possibly they were grouped by manufacturer? I'm not really sure.


Turning around I found these pretty florals...some Kaffe Fassett there.


In a back room were some juvenile prints.


Hanging above those fabrics was this quilt.


But here's an example of what I'm talking about. These fabrics were shelved with the juvenile prints, and I wouldn't classify them that way. Whatever the case, I took these pictures for my friend Kate. Kate, they made me think of you.


The store was stuffed to the gills with fabric, with lots of cute displays everywhere I looked.


These were some of the cat prints. I still love them, but I'm avoiding them these days. I have a whole big box at home, still waiting for their turn to be used in a quilt.


Shelved above them were these pretties.


Fabric, fabric, everywhere. It was a shop crowded with fabric.


I kind of liked this one...laundry instruction labels.


There was a nice supply of solids and tone-on-tones.


Pretty Christmas fabrics.


Turning around there were some Halloween fabrics. Neither of those holidays is on my mind right now.


There was a nice corner of patterns and notions. This store had a big focus on bags too, so there were patterns and hardware for bags.


Moving to the room to the right of the front door where I came in were all the batiks.


Also, some nice neutrals. I like these for embroidery backgrounds.


This one is for Molly and Buddy.


Here was another pretty display of color.


I made my selections and then waited longer than I'd hoped to have it cut. There was only one person doing the cutting and three people ahead of me. As I waited, I noticed a classroom/work area toward the back of the store.


Also, these yo-yo owls hanging overhead.


And this big box of breed specific patterns for little dog quilts.


I'll say something more about these dog patterns in just a minute, but I once had an online conversation with Patrick Lose about his pattern, A Cat for All Seasons, which I'd just finished. It might have been my very first cat quilt. Sorry it isn't a better picture.


This was pre-blogging days, but the quilt was very popular with the Quilting Board where I'd posted a picture. I told him he should do something like this for dogs. He told me that cat patterns sold better, and that dog owners tended to want something breed specific. And so I can only think this effort to cover so many different breeds was the designer's attempt to fill a gap in pattern availability. Anyway...cute patterns. They have a web presence, and you can see all the dogs right here. Or...if you're like me and cats are your thing, you can find all the cats right here.

So I chose this one as my regional print. I was only going to purchase it if they would cut a fat quarter for me, and they would.


If they hadn't been willing to cut a fat quarter, I was going to use this one as my regional print. It reminded me of all the wildflowers we've seen. The cutter was very careful cutting a yard of it for me. She used scissors and cut on each side of the fold individually so that the little squares of flowers were all usable. I can imagine these flowers fussy cut to make cornerstones. I haven't yet sewn together Friendship's Garden, and so this might go well with those quilt blocks.


And, like I said...it will be mine...and now it is. This would make a great binding for the Paintbox Pizzazz quilt waiting at home for finishing.


So this was a fun shop and a great resource for quilters in the area. Located in Palm Desert, check it out if you find yourself in the area.

12 comments:

Becky said...

Hi, my favorite quilt shop in the area is Monica’s Quilt and Bead, also in Palm Desert just off I-10. Thanks for sharing your travels as I’m reliving some of the trips my late husband and I took in recent years.

Julierose said...

I love that striped print, too--isn't it funny how certain prints just "grab" you...sounds like you had a fun time in that shop hugs, Julierose

Katie said...

I'm pretty sure I'm not the Kate you mentioned, but I'm Katie (close) and I love those science fabrics. One time I dropped everything to drive 30 miles to a quilt shop before they closed that night because a friend sent me a photo of some really cool science fabrics, but I think this time the drive is a bit longer...by like 1200 miles or so! The shop looks like a lot of fun with lots to see. I would have been more tempted by some of the fun dots I saw, but to each their own!

QuiltShopGal said...

What a fun quilt shop. Very inviting. BTW - We also did the TP research years ago and have been happily using Charmin Ultra w/o any problems ever since.

Paula said...

That shop had a lot of variety. Thanks for the review. Also, the idea to use the flowers for cornerstones is great! Thanks, I needed another quilt idea swimming around in my head. LOL!

Kathaleeny said...

A woman on one of my quilt blogs said she’s not worried about running out of toilet paper because she has plenty of ugly fabric in her stash that can be called to duty.

Jocelyn is Canadian Needle Nana said...

What an entertaining post! For some reason I love seeing quilt shop photos...all that yummy fabric I suppose. You did well with your choices. Thanks for sharing.

Kristin said...

The snail pattern is by Pen and Paper Designs. She's on Instagram & very funny. :-)

kc said...

Ooooh, lots of pretty colors and prints. Even I, who is pretty strict about purchasing fabric, might have been tempted. Surely that stripe would have sent me over the edge. I saw those flowers as cornerstones as well.

And speaking of TP, I hear ya! That is exactly the brand we use, and for the very same reason.. it does break up nicely. We have also found a safe enzyme to add that helps rid the sensors of debris. It's kind of like RidX, in that you have to let it build up a bit and can't use any bleach or it dies. I'll try to get the name so Mike can research, but Driver is sound asleep now, as I should be. Oh, back to the shortage... We were going to run out next week sometime, so I thought maybe we'd better grab a few rolls. HA! I found same as you! But, we did manage to grab the very last pack off the shelf. We had the same thoughts, too. Scared poopless.

And don't bother looking for Clorox wipes! Or paper towels, either.

Carol- Beads and Birds said...

We shopped last weekend. There was plenty of TP. There were a lot of empty shelves in the cleaning product aisle. The chip and snack aisle were pretty sparce. Right now it's the morning after the trump speech and the Dow is tanking. the circuit breaker kicked in.

So that was a great shop! Thank you so much for the link to the dog patterns. I have been searching for patterns that weren't paper pieced. Searching for coloring books with dog breeds. I wonder why these patterns never showed up on a Google search. Google let me down :( So off I went to buy my breeds. I found my next project that won't make a mess in my room.
xx, Carol

Kate said...

Looks like a fun little shop that I would spend way too much money in (especially if the Scientist in Training got a glimpse of those chemistry fabrics). You picked some fun fabrics as souvenirs.

quiltzyx said...

Yeah, I don't get the whole TP hoarding thing either. Sheesh. Plus all the antibacterical gel. I just read a fairly scientific article about hand washing - and the takeaway is that the very best thing is plain ol' soap & water! The soap actually makes the virus fall apart.

Another nice LQS - and I love that stripe you got! Very happy print!!