3/8/20

Quilt Shop: Copper Canyon Quilting, Lake Havasu City, Arizona


There may be more than one quilt shop in Lake Havasu City. It was hard to tell from Google, but one was all I wanted. We visited the Copper Canyon Quilting and E2E Outriggers yesterday. Yes, you read that right. It's a quilt shop that sells outrigger canoes. The owner said she'd rather do that than sell vacuum cleaners. Enough said.

The shop was about a mile north of London Bridge, off to itself on a side street.


The door on the right led into a classroom.


Walking through the front door, it looks like this.


This shop was everything I love about a quilt shop...lots of color. To the right of the front door was this nice little seating area.


And look at this pretty dress form.


 But wait...look at all this fabric!


On the opposite side were more shelves with some pretty stripes and polka dots, and a nice selection of solids.


I might have gone back for something there, but I was dazzled by these black and gold metallics. Which one do you think I'm going to select?


These racks were four-sided and stuffed with fat quarters. I love a good supply of fat quarters. Some shops will cut them...others won't.


They also seemed to specialize in panels, and they had a lot of kits made up for all different kinds of quilts.


I had an idea that "Hive Rules" panel might have been a part of the line I used when I made the Bee Loving quilt a couple of years ago. Below is a picture of my quilt. Doesn't the bee fabric look the same as in the pinwheels above?



The ones below were 108-inch wide fabrics. It's unusual to see them in so many color choices.


Here's another panel. This one was so pretty. I don't usually buy panels. This one was tempting, but they were sold out of it. She told me they had more on order. This shop doesn't have a web presence, but if you see something you like, you can always call and order it by phone.


When I turned around from that position, I saw the outriggers. It was then I went back out to the truck to get Mike. I knew he'd want to see these. He and the owner chatted while I shopped. She's a member of a club, and they do their canoeing on Lake Havasu. She likes it because these canoes weigh just 17 lbs. as they're ready to go in the water, and so she can handle and carry it herself. Apparently kayaks weigh substantially more.


She also had this "living room" set up for "men only."


These little Amish figurines were cute, but at $25, they weren't appealing enough. Still, I do have a soft spot for all things Amish.


There was a nice supply of notions.


And there were several copies of this Quilter's Cookbook...


put together by the Havasu Stitcher's Quilt Guild as a fundraiser. At $20, I wasn't convinced I needed this, but it was a very nice book in a ring binder with tabbed dividers. Nicely done.


I knew you'd want to see these vintage sewing machines. Sorry I couldn't get better pictures. They were high overhead, and so you're seeing what I saw.




So what did I come out with? Well...I loved this little panel. This is about 8 x 8 inches. I might use this as my regional print if it fits in my quilt.


Probably I have collected enough regional fabrics for my next Shop Hop quilt. I'm going to make the next one from these polaroid camera blocks. Print fabric for the photo is 7-1/2 x 7-1/2 inches. I haven't measured yet, but it might not work. If not, then I'll use the fabric below. It reminded me of the pictures of sunrises and sunsets we've seen on this trip. I figure it can be used in other ways too, and so I bought a yard of it. As for the one above, I'll figure out something if it won't work in the Shop Hop quilt.


As for that black and metallic gold, I got two yards of the one below. It was hard to pick just one, but I figure you can never go wrong with polka dots.


So that was a great little shop and fun for husbands too. Do stop in if you have a chance, and don't forget to visit London Bridge while you're in Lake Havasu City.

8 comments:

Vroomans' Quilts said...

I was very interested in your stroll thru, around, and over Londaon Bridge and the history of it's move. But what a delightful quilt shop in the midst! I love an open shop - makes actual seeing the fabric so much easier and more pleasant to the eye. I would have bought one of the Amish figures - Jim Shore's pieces are a lot more (and I have a few of those). Now I would have guessed the squiggly black/gold piece.

Dorothy said...

The only way to go -- polka dots -- no matter what color or shape. I've never seen a "panel" that was only 8" X *.

Carol- Beads and Birds said...

Well, that IS a nice shop. Smart owner to create a Guy Place! Nice side business for the owner as well. My grandson would love to have an outrigger. He totes his kayak everywhere, but mostly to a large creek that flows to the St. Joseph River. I guessed right on which fabric you would choose...purely a good guess, lol.
xx, Carol

Sherry said...

I guessed correctly. Great black and metallic fabric. Really nice quilt shop and it looked spacious not really crowded like some shops.

Cheryl's Teapots2Quilting said...

You can always put that fabric on the back if it won't work on the front. Oh yea, I think I have all 3 of those vintage machines.

QuiltGranma said...

looks like a really fun quilt shop! Thanks for the tour!

Betty said...

Thanks for sharing the vintage machines, I always enjoy seeing them. I have a few, but not as avid a collector as some people I know.
I also like the shops that have fat quarters. At the shop where I worked for a while the first thing we did when new fabric arrived was square the beginning of the bolt, cut a 2.5 inch strip for the owners collection, then cut 4 fat quarters to sell.

quiltzyx said...

A very nice shop indeed! I, too, guessed correctly that you would go with the black & gold polka dot fabric. :) That is a cute, small panel too. I know you'll find something cool to do with it.