3/23/20

Another Day of Sewing

We had to drive into town yesterday. We were nearly out of coffee, and well, I know an emergency when I see one. Also, we needed bird seed of all kinds, and so we combined the two stops, carefully maintaining social distancing while we were out. We've taken to wearing surgical gloves when we go out. If nothing else, it reminds us not to touch our faces. I'm still going to have to make a grocery shopping trip tomorrow. We don't have grocery delivery to our home, but I can pick up at the store. So far, I haven't been motivated to try that. What I need most is fresh produce, and it's hard to allow someone else to choose for me. We'll see. It kind of depends on how bad things get, and whether we're ordered to stay inside...or else! Aside from necessary shopping, we've been good about staying in.

So it was fairly late in the day by the time I made it into the sewing room. It still seemed as if I accomplished enough to feel satisfied. My first choice was to finish making blocks for the Paintbox Pizzazz quilt. This was one of two projects for last year's Rainbow Scrap Challenge. This is where I left off...with 40 blocks total.


I was thinking I needed 48 blocks to finish this, but when I looked at the pattern yesterday, I realized I was nearly finished. The quilt will finish up at 71 x 71 inches, and the one shown in the book is set 6 blocks by 7 blocks, for a total of 42 blocks. So yay! I only needed two more. Looking at the colors already included, I decided to make the last two in lavender.


The little corner blocks were already cut, and so it was pretty quick to finish these off.


And now this project will be added to the "Quilt Tops to Finish" list. I think I assigned it to myself for the month of July.

Of course, I had lots of help working on these blocks.


We managed to get a hard enough grip on Sadie yesterday to put a harness on her. Honestly, it's like trying to put a saddle on a wild horse.


She looks pretty cute when she's wearing it. We just let her run around inside the house for a while. We were kind of curious to see if she could get it off, and apparently she could not.


After wearing it for awhile, she had to admit that wearing clothes had a certain appeal.


Several hours later, I managed to hook a leash to her and tried getting her outside. That little outing lasted approximately 7 seconds. She gets completely wigged out, possibly just because she's constrained from fleeing at any perceived danger. As I've mentioned, she's an anxious kitty, and so most everything is perceived as danger. Once feral, it's how she survived before being captured. We'll keep trying, but it might not work.

So, meanwhile, back in the sewing room...you might remember I wasn't happy with this button on the Stitched Inchies project. I really needed a 4-hole button, and all I had in the RV was a 2-hole.


So I located a 4-hold button from my button can and then sewed it on. And DRAT! I didn't see this until I went to post this picture this morning. I missed one of the thread "arms" in the lower left corner of the button. Oh well. I can fix that easily enough.


What really makes me mad is that I have to post my error over and over again now as I show you the rest of my progress. I added the border...still not seeing the mistake...


And then I decided on a yellow binding and cut those strips. Heck...I even cut a quilt back from that same pansy fabric. Still, I didn't see that button problem. Sheesh. Oh well. It'll be my first victim when I head into the sewing room today.


Before we took off for town yesterday morning, I hand-stitched the binding for Farm Fresh Eggs, and now it's finished.


Here's how it looks from the back.


There's a narrow wall space above our breakfast bar where I like to hang little quilts like this. It looks cute there. There are different quilts for different seasons, but this one will get its moment in the sun for a while.


Matthew has been selling me hard on getting an Instant Pot. He's never been one for cooking much, but he discovered the Instant Pot, and now he's a convert. He made dinner for us last night. This is a Whole Bowl...or something like that...a dish he copied from a restaurant. It's beans, quinoa, avocado, olives, sour cream, cheese, salsa, and olives...a little like a bean burrito, minus the tortilla. It was delicious, and I was happy to let him do the cooking and show off his newly acquired cheffery. (I think I just made up that word.) Anyway...looks yummy, no?


And yes, it was very yummy. He's convincing me little by little.

Today I hoped to get out into the yard to do some weeding, but I might have to put that off. Rain starts up this morning, and it's going to continue for a while. No problem...there's always sewing. I'll just have to dry my tears and go on somehow.

19 comments:

Quilting Babcia said...

Cute little finish, and I love the pansy background fabric for your little "stitchies." The plow just went by so be happy it's just rain. At times this morning we could barely see the mountain directly behind the neighbors house right across the road.

Katie said...

Rain? Lucky. We got about an inch if wet snow! Good luck with the groceries. I've found my produce department to be the best stocked both times I've ventured out since the toilet paper crisis has started. I think they're on an every day restock schedule due to the nature of their product, so are feeling the crunch less. I came home last time with a LOT of fruits and veggies, and since we're eating at home all the meals now, we will use them before they go bad! And if bird seed gets tricky, I know that Tractor Supply Company has been declared essential and will remain open. As an employee, I can say we have a good selection of bird seed/squirrel food...and though a more limited selection, we also carry kitty foods too! (And my store, on a normal day, often doesn't see more than 10 people, including employees, in the store at one time! That may change, though...)

LavenderBlue said...

I could do a commercial for the Instant Pot. It took me awhile to brave opening the box and actually using it! Ha! So I vote YES. I would like to recommend my favorite online source of IP recipes: pressureluckcooking.com
Wonderful recipes with a video and recipe to print for each. Plus he is fun and rather entertaining. He is also on FB. You will never hard boil eggs in a saucepan again! The peels just slide off. Happy Monday Barbara!

Julierose said...

Your Paintbox Pizazz came out beautifully--really pretty!! Love that reverse fabric on Fresh Eggs, too.;)))
This morning we got out to "senior hrs" early at grocery and did quite a bit of shopping...but no paper products at all...
Just a very few oldsters along with us there all wearing masks and gloves...hope this will be enough food to last for quite a while...

We had snow this noontime and now a really cold rain it's only 35 and wind chill is 31..ugh...good napping day after the early getting up..
hugs from afar Julierose

Ruth L. said...

"Dry my tears and go on somehow." That's my kind of humor, especially as it applies to weeding the garden. Oh, how I do enjoy your blog. As to the cats taking to the harnesses, remember that cats like routine... maybe more than humans. Keep up your efforts and reward, reward, reward every little step forward, but not the retreats. My most feral cat (usually) comes when I call her because years ago I repeatedly gave her a treat for that behavior. Patience is key but you're a quilter so I know you have that trait aplenty.

Shepherdess55 said...

Enjoy each and every post you do. Your descriptions are so acurate that I have no problem seeing the situation in my mind's eye.

Do you think it would work if you had Sadie wear the harness 15 minutes a day for a week, then add the leash so she has the added weight/feel of it for another week that perhaps by the third week you might be able to then attach the harness to a tie-out cable (https://www.amazon.com/Coastal-Nickel-Plated-Swivel-15-Feet-1-Count/dp/B003WRG9O4)and just let her explore until she's comfortable with the idea.

I would never have noticed the missing stitch on the button if you hadn't pointed it out.

Connie Wolfe said...

Cute is the word for the Farm Fresh Eggs wall hanging. I like the borders, binding and quilting. All of these support the embroidered center. It looks very cheerful on your wall.
Connie
c_s_wolfe@yahoo.com

Teresa said...

Loved reading through your blog today, so many pretty things. I ever did find the error you were talkin about that button. That supper looks delicious.

Vroomans' Quilts said...

Almost missed the post. Love the paintbox quilt and always love when you discover that WOW with a block count. Sadie looks quite chic in that harness. Easy fix on the button - just don't forget. We had 6 inches of snow, so enjoy the rain.

Linda said...

It took me a long time to find the button, much less the mistake, on Stitched Inchies. You should have seen me enlarging the photo and scanning every inch before I realized it was right in front of me. The button blended right in with the colored areas of the project. So I would never would have noticed. I think that is one of my favorite things you have done, especially with that pansy fabric. But I also love Farm Fresh Eggs!
Yes on the Instant Pot, our daughter insisted we buy one because she loves hers. We really like it for rice, but I don't utilize it nearly enough.
Sadie is precious, and yes she looks really cute in that harness.

Carol- Beads and Birds said...

I particularly love the Farm Fresh Eggs finish...front and back. The 4 hole button does look much better. I have always loved pressure cooking. My mother used a pressure cooker all the time so I never ever had the fear some had of exploding food. I admit it took me a bit to get into the Instant Pot. It's an amazing creation. Wish Terry did our cooking, sigh.

I need to do my own shopping too. I have watched those girls pick out fruits and veggies and there is absolutely no selecting or even knowing what they are doing. Just pick and plop in a bag.
xx, Carol

Nancy said...

Don’t give in to quickly on that Instant Pot. Hold out for a few more meals.

piecefulwendy said...

I'm chuckling at Sadie's drama over the harness. Haha. We did a grocery run today and survived, so far. I even scored some TP so life is good. Shopping has definitely become a strategic event, however, with all the social distancing, gloves and whatnot. Love the Farm Fresh Eggs mini, and I wouldn't have noticed that button thingy. I've decided against an Instant Pot because I don't want to have to store it and I don't have a lifestyle that requires food to be cooked in a little amount of time. That does look tasty, though!

Lyndsey said...

Sadie looks so cute in her harness. The meal Matthew cooked looks really yummy. Lucy cooked last night and it was also delicious and more so since I didn't have to cook. The fresh eggs mini looks pretty on the wall and I never would have noticed the problem with the button if you hadn't commented on it.

Judy1522 said...

I tried to go to senior hour at Costco this morning and drove right through the parking lot and went straight home. I am not going to wait in a long line. We are going to drive by this afternoon and see if there is still a line and if so I am going to order what I can online. We are good on coffee and tp for now so the important things we have. I understand about the fresh produce as I like to pick out my own. The cat my son and his GF have hates that harness thing also and he was never a feral cat. I think you may be right about not feeling that they can get away from danger as he is not comfortable being outside either. Although he does love to go for rides in the car and travel on planes. I think you would love the instand pot. My son is the one that had one first and made sure I got one for my birthday. I absolutely love it. One of my favorite things to use it for is to make the potatoes and eggs in for potato salad. It looks like what your son made for you is a yum bowl. We have a restaurant near us but make them at home also. They are delicious and easy to make plus being healthy. The sauce is very easy to make and delicious.

The Joyful Quilter said...

Congrats on finishing the blocks needed for your quilt!! Hubby cooking in the Instant Pot? How can I get mine to do that?!?! Oh, well... at least he will clean ours when I cook in it. LOL

scraphappy said...

I am waiting for a text right now saying that my grocery order is ready for pickup. It has just been so frustrating to wander around the aisles finding that they are out of everything. At least this way I know ahead of time what they do or don't have. In theory anyway. We'll see soon how it works in practice. I've enjoyed my instant pot. Like a crock pot with so many recipe ideas, but it doesn't take all day which is nice.

Susie H said...

OMG! I laughed so hard reading this post. The cats are beautiful and I have a kitty that is also very anxious. I kept trying to imagine harnessing Polly up and taking her for a walk. I'm sure it would have ended the same as your attempt. Love your quilt and really, really love the stitcheries. The Crabapple Hill SAL is really beautiful and the pansy border fabric PERFECT! Sorry about the button but it should be an easy fix and then all will be well. The chicken stitchery is adorable. Love the colors in the threads and the border. Really love the background fabric too. Great job all around. Have a safe week!

Deb A said...

I agree - running out of coffee is an emergency! Farm fresh eggs came out beautifully. Happy stitching.