1/3/20

San Luis NWR and Merced NWR

It's been a slow morning here at the Traveling Three Cats Ranch. We spent yesterday evening at the local emergency department. The positive-thinking-head-in-the-sand approach to curing my asthma problem failed dismally. By day's end yesterday, I admitted defeat and we took off for the hospital for my first-ever nebulizer treatment. I'll say more about that toward the end of the post (if I don't forget), but I'll tell you now that even without positive thinking, I'm feeling much, much better today. I'm still coughing some, but the cough has turned more productive, a nice change from the dry choking hack of the past two days.

So let's just back up to yesterday morning. Every variety of fast food is available to us just across the street, and so it seemed a good time to head to McDonalds for our first beloved Egg McMuffin of the trip. It was bright and sunny. The temperature was a little on the coolish side, but we were looking forward to a good day, weather-wise.


The plan was to meet my friend Judy, first at the San Luis NWR. Shortly after leaving McDonald's we drove into pea soup fog. Judy had already texted to say she was running late because of low visibility. No problem...we found our way.


There was a very nice visitor center there. Upon approach, we found this beautiful mosaic...flying geese and a mariner's compass for all you quilting people.


Along the way, this quote from John Muir. We found ourselves wondering what the area looked like 150 years ago.


Inside, we paid our respects to the resident cat, Lucky. Lucky was taken in when the visitor's center was built. She was apparently abandoned, and has lived here for approximately 10 years. The employee at the visitor center said she was already spayed when found, and so she'd been someone's pet at one time. She was very friendly, hanging out on top of a lighted display, where it was warm. She purrmitted petting and posed for her picture.


If she had a pink nose, you might think you were looking at Smitty. Also she's about half his size.

We were here to see the Tule Elk, but the fog made it difficult to see much of anything. The pictures aren't very good because of it, but we documented our sitings, and that's the most important thing, right? The first one we saw was off in the distance...this handsome buck.



Nearby, a red-tailed hawk perched on the fence post. We saw more red-tailed hawks in a single day yesterday than I've probably seen in my entire life. Judy described one of her bird walks with a guide who simply said, "YART," upon siting them (Yet Another Red Tail).


Driving on, we saw a grouping of elk off in the distance. As we stood there more and more rose out of the grass, until we could see a couple dozen cows with this one buck...obviously, his harem.





And since I couldn't get a very good picture of them, I'm including this picture of an informational sign posted nearby. This one has a tangle of grass in his rack of antlers...kind of makes you think he's been rolling in the hay, doesn't it?


I liked this quote from Theodore Roosevelt.


Some time ago, I read a book entitled, The Big Burn: Teddy Roosevelt and the Fire that Saved America, by Timothy Egan. It was a fascinating story about a huge wildfire, and the creation of America's National Park System. Roosevelt's prescience was fascinating, and I was surprised at how the same arguments back then are present in our political discussions of the present day. I can recommend it.

From there, we moved on to the Merced NWR where we spent the rest of the day. The fog burned off, and we were able to see a lot of birds. Oh my goodness. My friend Judy impressed us with her encyclopedic knowledge of the many species we saw, as I knew she would. She knew things about birds, I didn't realize were possible to know, if that makes sense.


We started on a viewing platform, where I took this picture of the informational sign about bird migration along the Pacific Flyway. I've bumped up the saturation in the hope you can see the colors of the migratory paths and make some sense of it. Remember you can always make a picture larger by clicking on it.


When the sun came out, our shadow selves made an appearance. Judy's shadow self brought along a spotting scope, which was tremendously helpful. Judy could train it on a particular bird out of a field of thousands and share the viewing and information about it with us.


While standing there, this little bunny hopped on by.


And we saw squirrels the size of house cats. In the image below, I managed to get what appears to be a raccoon. I didn't see him until I downloaded the picture.


And then, we just saw lots and lots and lots of birds. I cannot identify most of these, and so I'll just let you look, adding commentary as we go.


We saw lots of birds in flight, and I'm including a few pictures of those, simply because it was so stunningly beautiful to watch and listen to them. These are snow geese, if memory serves.


Judy explained that the wing tips are often black because the associated melanin strengthens the feathers. Since the outer tips of the wings sustain the most pressure during flight, it makes sense they would evolve to be the strongest.



Below is a great egret. Judy tells us that the snowy egrets have a black beak...or maybe it was the other way round. I can't remember, so don't quote me.


This next one is a coot.


Judy explained their feet are lobed to make it possible for them to walk on marshy terrain. I couldn't get close enough to photograph them, but here's an image from the Audubon.org website.


Here's another one with his friend, a "green," was all Judy said about him.


We saw thousands of this next bird on our drive south. This is a white-faced ibis. They are fairly large...a little larger than a duck.


These next ones are "cinnamons."


Next was this juvenile bald eagle. Judy explained that the feathers of the juveniles are larger than the feathers of adults since they are just learning to fly. As they lose their juvenile feathers, they can look rough as the larger juvenile feathers are replaced by the smaller adult feather.


We were hoping to get around to where we could see the snow geese, sitting by the gazillions, but we spooked the eagle. When an eagle or other raptor flies near the snow geese, they all flush and fly off. You can see him in the upper left-hand corner of the image below.


After scaring all the snow geese away, he sat in this tree with his wings spread wide for the remainder of our time there.


This is the one blooming thing we saw during the day.


Here's another coot...he was busy bullying his neighbors and making quite a squawk. It gave meaning to the phrase, "Old Coot," because this guy was definitely crabby.


I don't know the name of this next bird, but the thing to notice is his upturned beak. If I'm remembering correctly, Judy said this is a spoonbill.


We drove around again and came to a place where we could see the snow geese closer up.


And a whole bunch of coots.


In Judy's eyes, this next image of a burrowing owl was the siting of the day. She thought there were burrowing owls in the area, but hadn't spotted one until yesterday. Sorry for the blur. I was shooting from far away, and I've cropped most of the image away to get closer.


So...after making our way around the refuge twice, we still had an hour and a half to kill before we would be able to see the flight of the sandhill cranes. Frankly, I was feeling terrible by this time...coughing uncontrollably, and barely able to speak without coughing. I'm a person who laughs easily and often, and laughing made me cough too. We really weren't up to waiting them out, but we'll be back again next year, and we'll get a later start to our day.

Instead, I have this very short video of the snow geese in flight, intended mainly for the sound, so turn up your volume to listen. If you can't see the video, then click right here.


On the sewing front, I finished up the first snowflake yesterday, and here it is.


As I mentioned earlier, I needed to wash it to remove the Sticky Fabri-Solvy. I washed this in our RV high-efficiency washer. I first placed it in a fine mesh bag and washed on a delicate cycle. To make sure I had enough water, I added a couple of raggedy towels and gave it an extra rinse. I did not use any kind of detergent...just plenty of warm water. I took it out of the washer and hung it to dry, and it came out beautifully. The one problem I noticed is that the size of the snowflake had printed in red on the Sticky Fabri-Solvy, and that did not come out completely. I'm thinking I can probably touch it with a bleach pen to get it out. You can see it circled in the image below.


For the rest of them, I'll just cut this little bit out of the Sticky Fabri-Solvy before applying it to the snowflake block. It's a tiny little area...perhaps half an inch square...and so it should be no problem to correct prior to stitching. I'm offering this up to anyone else who might be using the Sticky Fabri-Solvy for the first time.

Okay, so I'm not sure I have anything more to say about the asthma situation, except that I'm feeling significantly better today, and I feel I'm on the mend. The physician's assistant who treated me encourage me to finish up the steroidal medications I started a few days ago. Today is the third of five days, and we'll just hope improvement continues. We'll be moving on tomorrow, and hopefully find some better air at the next place. Interestingly, he also told us that this county, Merced County, has the second worst air quality in the state, behind Fresno County. We are headed to Kern County, and hopeful of easier breathing.

The kitties spent most of the day alone yesterday, but they got lots of hugs, skritches, snuggles, and kitty treats on our return, and all is forgiven. Actually, I'm not sure they missed us at all. I never know whether I'll have internet access when we move on to new environs, and so I'll get back to you if I can. We're making a two-day drive on our way to Death Valley National Park. Along the way, we'll also see the Trona Pinnacles...just something I pulled from my California folder. So there's lots on the horizon, and I'll be back as soon as I can.

20 comments:

QuiltShopGal said...

I'm so sorry to hear about your asthma attack and hospital visit, but glad to hear you are on the mend. I hope you feel 100% very soon and no more breathing problems - ever!!!! Nope, not allowed!

Lovely photos and I certainly appreciated all the insights about the birds. I'm not sure how true it is, but I've also heard Bald Eagles are their largest size as juveniles and get smaller as they age (I think of how some people shrink with age). I also think that the juveniles mature (adult feathers) about the 2 year mark. I suspect the one you saw still had his parents in the general area, continuing to teach him fishing skills. We actually had an opportunity to watch parents kick their kid out of the nest (aka out of the fishing area) over a 2 day period. Quite a fight to push him (or her) off on her own and in the end the parents looked in the general direction the kid flew off to, for hours...wondering if he was coming back.

Cathy said...

Sorry to hear you’ve been sick, but glad you’re on the mend. Beautiful bird pictures!

Julierose said...

Oh so sorry that you are having breathing problems...but happy to hear that you are getting better...
Magnificent wildlife pictures...I love the deer in the fog ones...Take care and don't push...hugs, julierose

Quilting Babcia said...

Wow, so sorry to hear about the asthma, but happily you seem to be much better now. Some gorgeous photography, as always. I love the elk photos, even with all the fog, very mysterious. Take care of yourself!

gpc said...

So glad you are finally feeling better! Wishing you easy sailing from now on. I'll say again, I love the elk photos in the fog, far more Real Elk looking than the arty impossibly clear ones. They give a wilder mood, perfect. And Oh. Those. Birds. I used to love bird watching/sighting when I used to visit Sanibel a lot; there is a wildlife refuge there, with lots of exotic options. And I love the ducks, many of which I've only seen in books because I can rarely identify them in the wild. For some reason they just don't get close enough! But the burrowing owl -- I would have flat out fainted. I am so envious.

Linda said...

Sorry you had to visit emergency care (especially on a trip) but glad you are feeling better!
I love all the elk and birds photos and have never heard of the Pacific Flyway. It's great that there is a safe refuge for them that people can visit.
Your snowflake is just beautiful! I am still looking at beads and trying to learn about them before I decide. I never realized there were so many sizes and shapes!

SJSM said...

I've done the nebulizer route before. So glad you are on the mend.

The pictures in the fog of the elk are so dramatic. I've seen plenty of pictures of elk and like the "mystery" of them coming out of the fog. Don't you know Smitty and Sadie would have loved seeing all those birds?

Vicki W said...

Great photos! I'm glad you found a medical center nearby where you could get treatment. I can't take steroids so the last time I went to the the 24 hour center for asthma the doctor rolled his eyes and walked out. He said I was on a ship without a life preserver. Mine are basically allergic reactions so I just piled on the Benedryl! Enjoy the rest of your trip!

JoanG said...

I loved your photos! I enjoyed seeing all of the beautiful birds and the wildlife, and I do think you are quite the talented photographer in addition to being a talented quilter. So sorry to hear you had to go to the emergency room - hoping you will continue to feel better and find better air as you continue your adventures. Take care.

Laura said...

Thank you for the wonderful photos of places I'll never see. Sorry about you asthma but I am happy for you that getting treatment was not a problem. If I recall correctly from some sulky product "training" I took a few years ago, one is meant to remove the excess solvy before washing out. So with the snow flakes, you could pull back the excess (from the edges) and remove/cut away. Then you'd not have to worry about the red bleeding through. Have a fabulous day and hope you continue to feel better.

Ioleen said...

Thanks for such a lovely post. I read it during breakfast and I must say I enjoyed every word. The pictures are very calming. Hope you have better air at your next stop. Take care 😊😊

Kate said...

So sorry you had to have follow up treatment for the asthma. Hopefully you are back to 100% and enjoying the rest of your trip. Love all the bird photos. My Guy enjoys the birds. He did the Christmas bird count, but missed the New Year's one due to his Christmas health drama. So take care, you never know when things can get really bad.

piecefulwendy said...

I'm so sorry you ended up having to go in for your asthma, but so glad you are feeling much much better. Boy, that fog looked thick! You got some good photos of some pretty birds; I'm going to show them to Molly in a bit. And yes, Judy was right - a burrowing owl is quite the sight for the day. Lucky you!

Quilting Tangent said...

Feel better, beautiful pictures and snowflake.

CathieJ said...

So sorry that you haven't been feeling well. I hope you improve as the days go by. Your wildlife photos are just gorgeous. How wonderful to see such a variety of species. I really like that snowflake too.

scraphappy said...

Hope that you are feeling better soon. So many beautiful photos of wildlife! Your snowflake turned out beautifully. The first of many I hope.

kc said...

Well, heck, ER visits are no fun, but sometimes necessary. Glad you are doing better. Those geese you did see are quite the sight, as was that flockof whatever flying! Those elk, too, wow! We tried to see them up in Maggie Valley, NC, twice, actually, and all we saw was a drawing on a sign. They are much more impressive in your photos, so thanks for sharing!

Connie W. said...

Wonderful pictures of the NWR's. Thanks so much for sharing your trip with us. I was very impressed by the beautiful snowflake. Here's something to consider using on the red dot. Dollar Tree has a product called Awesome in the laundry section. It comes in both a powdered laundry additive and in a liquid spot treatment spray. I began using the powdered product in place of bleach several years ago. Dried in stains have been removed with a small amount moistened and gently rubbed into items before washing. Awesome has also removed carpet stains. I keep this in both the house and the RV now. Hope it works for you.
Connie

Lyndsey said...

I'm very pleased to hear you're feeling a little better. The photos are amazing. I showed John who is a very keen bird watcher and he spent ages viewing them. Your snow flake is beautiful.

Quilter Kathy said...

Glad you are feeling better! Stitching probably helps :)
The snowflake is magnificent... I adore it!