12/4/19

Busy Day

There was no time for quilting yesterday. There might have been time had I not fallen down on the couch, not to get up again until I'd taken a good long nap. Being out and about is exhausting, especially at this time of the year. I got my hair cut and colored. Then I filled my gas tank and headed for the grocery store. While there, I scored this year's Christmas tree. You might remember our tree from last year. We didn't win the award for the Charlie Browniest tree ever (point of clarification...there is no actual award), and so this year we're taking it to a whole new level of low with this little tree.


It even came pre-decorated! That's my kind of Christmas tree. After that, I had another couple of errands to run before heading home and putting away the groceries. Thence, the nap.

I did manage to try out a new recipe last night though. This is a Butternut Squash Risotto with Bacon & Sage.


I'm a great fan of risotto, and this one did not disappoint. The butternut squash was one of the last stragglers from this year's CSA share. (I still have a few things left.) Also, I used homemade veggie stock from the trimmings off CSA veggies, and sage from my own culinary herb garden. As far as risotto goes, this one was pretty easy. It only used about half of the butternut squash. The rest was chunked up and frozen for another time. I can use it to make this Butternut Squash Soup with Apple and Bacon, which is another favorite.

This morning, I finished most of the stitching in this hoopful of the Appalachian Memories block.


The most densely-stitched sections are finished now.


Now I've moved the hoop to the bottom of the block, and this part should take less time than what I've done so far. I'm kind of saving the horse in the lower left-hand corner for last. No need to have hoof prints and horse apples all over the house, right?


Smitty is taking his morning shift on the window kitty bed this morning. We had pretty nice weather yesterday, but today is looking a little gloomy.


With everything else going on yesterday, I made no more progress on the Semper Fi quilt.



Today, however, it's going to be all quilting, all the time. I'm hoping to get well along with it. It would be good to have the quilting finished before the weekend is over. And I should point out that finishing Semper Fi is my goal for this month's



So that's all the news that's fit to print from the Three Cats Ranch this morning. All my errands were taken care of yesterday, and so I'm looking forward to an NBS day (Nothing But Sewing).

13 comments:

Vicki W said...

I wish I could get away with a tree like that but my husband isn't quite ready for an austere Christmas!

Quilting Babcia said...

At least your little woebegone tree has an ornament for each kitty to knock off and send flying across the room!

Sandra W said...

I think your little tree is perfect and will look even better when you remove the paper on the bottom. (You are going to remove the paper, aren't you???) I even looked up your last years tree--I'd forgotten about that one.
I love the beautiful profile shot of Smitty. My, he is one handsome cat.

gpc said...

I remember you saying once that Smitty and Sadie don't bother your trees . . . I think we might have stumbled on an explanation for that . . .

The semper fi quilt is going to be amazing. But that's hardly new for your quilts. Meanwhile, I am still trying to figure out where we packed the thread.

Sally Trude said...

Molly and Buddy would like to know what stock company you use for your excellent cat photos. Given you don't really have cats, Molly has graciously agreed to shred the paper wrapping your tree, play with the ribbon, and knock the entire tree to the floor. Buddy says he would chew up the pine needles and then upchuck them in a doorway after stealing the pine cones and hiding them in or under your bed.

SJSM said...

Good for you to mix up your days with outings to relieve the stress on your body from quilting. I’m sure you will have plenty of home bound activity to break up those quilting spells. Personally, I need to move and stretch at least once an hour for about 3 minutes when I do a sewing marathon.

Louise said...

Smitty sure has a handsome profile!

piecefulwendy said...

That's the cutest little tree -- just perfect! You definitely had a busy day yesterday, so I can understand the power nap (there's a dated term, yes?). Enjoy your NBS day!

Brown Family said...

I like your tree. It is so well decorated. I set up my artificial tree and out the decoration boxes under it. My grandson jokingly told me I had done it wrong. The decorations went on the tree instead of under!

Patty said...

Happy quilting. Thanks for linking up with Elm Street Quilts One Monthly Goal and good luck with your project.

kc said...

Tree is even more charming than last year's. You accomplished quite a bit, in spite of the long winter's nap. Semper Fi promises to be a knockout!

quiltzyx said...

I like your little tree - nothing Charlie Brownish about it to me. :)

Your hair looks fabulous, by the way!

I am so done with this week - and I have the WHOLE WEEKEND OFF!!! I had 33 extra hours last pay period, so am looking forward to that check next week.

Don't forget to give yourself breaks for stretching during Semper Fi.

Kate said...

I downsized our tree last year. Between being limited on my Christmas vacation and not having the SIT home to help, putting up the big tree was just more than I could manage. It's the thought that counts.