11/15/19

Block Party

Yesterday's sewing day consisted of sewing together block after block of the Mulligan Stew quilt. This was all done under the watchful and faithful catsultation with the Catmittee on Quilt Construction. Smitty is the Chairpurrson of the Catmittee.


Sadie is only one member of the Catmittee. Pink Mouse also has an impurrtant part in the decision-making purrocess.


After lengthy catsultation, I was able to continue assembling the blocks for the center of the quilt. I took a break to fill the bird feeders when I had it this far.


By day's end, the entire quilt center was complete. It still needs one border from the same fabric used in the sashing.


There are still four more blocks, and those will go into the corners. In the meantime, I'll be creating the railroad track borders. I doubt I'll get much done on those today, but possibly, I'll get them started.

It seemed like a good time to stop there because last night's dinner was fairly time-consuming. I'm still working on the last of the vegetables from our CSA share. This Cauliflower and Caramelized Onion Tart is one of my favorite ways to use cauliflower.


There are quite a few steps to this, and so making it from start to finish takes some time. The good news is that the component parts can be made ahead of time, and so it needn't be too much of a to-do to make it. The onions are caramelized and the cauliflower is roasted, and so the vegetables are very flavorful. Add in some Gruyere cheese, and cauliflower has never tasted so good. You can find the recipe from Bon Appetit right here.

This morning I started Tree #8 for Twelve Trees for Christmas. The trunk is all filled in now, and I'll be starting on the leaves and flowers tomorrow.


When I had it that far, it was time to head out for breakfast with Sue. I was taken with the acrylic paintings hanging on the wall. There were several animals, but I especially liked this cat wearing a hat with a peacock feather.


These are the work of artist Ann C. Howard. Just now I looked for a web presence for her, but wasn't able to find anything.


There were dozens of her paintings on the wall...most all of them 12 x 12. I also liked these two "abstract seasons."



Who else sees a quilt in these?

Okay, so that's all I have to tell you this morning. I really need to get my you-know-what in gear. I'm heading out to the grocery store, and it will get busier as the day goes on. If there's time for sewing this afternoon, I'll get busy with the borders for Mulligan Stew. I'm hoping to have the top completed before the weekend is over.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

The Mulligan Stew blocks are so attractive. I have the hobo book and need to look at it again.

Lyndsey said...

The Mulligan Stew quilt is going to be very tasty when it's all finished. The catsultation of the catmittee have created a great arrangement for the blocks.

crazy quilter said...

I agree I see these as quilts. I think you should definitely do Pretty Kitty as a quilt. Go for it Barbara!

piecefulwendy said...

You are really clipping along with quilts this month; so fun to see your progress. I hope you were thinking that I would see quilts in those abstract seasons, because I definitely do. Good thing you have such good help in the quilt room - my "help" over here is currently having a go at getting into the bakery box that held (note past tense) fresh scones. He was slightly put out that all that was left was crumbs.

quiltzyx said...

The Hobo quilt looks wonderful. Yes, I can see the big stitch quilting on it too. Don't want to start rushing things now.

Last week the boss kept talking about quiche all week long, sounded so good. Lucky for us, Marlene thought they sounded good too & made 2 to share with us on Monday! OMG was that quiche delicious!!! I could have eaten a whole one by myself, easily. Your tart just reminded me of the quiche. Gruyere cheese is one of my faves too. I think I could eat cauliflower that way too.