If you've been following along, then it should come as no surprise that I finished a quilt top yesterday. Mulligan Stew was started April 15, 2013, and so it feels pretty good to finally have a finished quilt top.
It took a long time because, in my rotation of projects, I only worked on this five quilt blocks at a time. There are 60 blocks in all, and so the sheer number of blocks made it a long-term project. Also, some years back, I felt overwhelmed by the number of projects I had in progress. My temporary solution was to cut down the load to about half by putting several of them "on the back burner." Some were never restarted because I'd lost interest in them along the way. This one, however, was too far along. Besides, it was interesting, and I wanted to finish it.
Probably, I'll hate myself for this, but I've decided to big stitch hand quilt it. It will mean even longer to a finish. It's from an era though, and so hand-quilting seems like the best way to complete it. Optimistically, I've already made the quilt back and cut the binding strips. I'll use the same dark brown for the binding. Today I should be receiving a coffee brown #7 Perle cotton to use for the quilting. It'll go into my regular rotation of embroidery projects, and I'll work on it a little at a time. Since we'll be heading south for three months, there should be plenty of time to work on it then.
Are you like me when you finish a long-term project? I always flop around on the couch for a couple of hours, trying to decide what to do next with my life. Yesterday, I had in mind to bake another mini bundt cake, but then flopped around on the couch for too long and ran out of time. I'll get to that today.
Instead of baking, I picked up Tree #9 and started stitching on it. This one is worked in chain stitch and stem stitch with one strand of floss in three different shades of green. I'm working with sections of a variegated floss, and so my greens will span about five different shades. It was this far along when I stopped for the day.
This morning I worked on it some more, and now it's this far along.
There will be a red bead placed in the center of each little curly-cue. Possibly, I'll work on it a little more this afternoon, but probably not. It's more realistic to think I'll be able to finish it off tomorrow morning.
Today I'll start free motion quilting my second oldest UFO, It's Raining Cats and Dogs. This quilt was started in December of 2013. It was put together one applique quilt block at a time. While I was working on it, I found myself embarrassed that a whole year might have gone by between one quilt block and the next. Finally, not too long ago, the quilt top was finished. And now...at long last...it's going under my needle for quilting.
This is my goal for this week's #onethingwithamy and it's probably an ambitious goal to finish in one week's time. Still, I'm going to give it a go. If I can get it to the binding stage by next weekend, I'll be one happy quilter. It'll be good to get these oldest of the old UFO's off my to-do list.