10/5/19

Productively Unproductive

For everything I did yesterday, I don't have a lot to show for it. Today will be much the same, I'm afraid. I had a nice breakfast with Sue. When Mike and I were adhering to the Cooking Light Diet, the diet introduced us to Avocado Toast. And now...it seems Avocado Toast is a dish of great popularity. One of the restaurants we frequent for breakfast is the nearby Biscuits. The last time I was at Biscuits, they had one menu choice of Avocado Toast. Now, they've expanded their menu to include four different variations on the theme. Here's a little snip of their menu, showing you all the ways you can have this dish:

At home, Mike and I usually have the plain version, made with just one egg...and to be clear, the egg should be served atop the toast, and not to the side, as Biscuits did it. Yesterday, I branched out and had the "Fiesta" version, which was spicy without knocking my head off. Our farmers give us a lot of spicy peppers in our CSA shares this time of year, and so I might create my own version of this, just for variety. The "Greek" version doesn't sound that good to me, but the "BLT" version has some promise. To make things easy on myself, I get the little "guacamole mini" packets. They can be found in the produce section of most grocery stores.


The packages in our grocery store come in boxes of six. When Mike and I are traveling, it's our go-to breakfast for days on the road because it's quick and easy, and doesn't make a lot of dirty dishes. When I sat down here, I didn't think I was going to go on such an expansive tour of breakfast food, but I knew you would find this endlessly fascinating. You're welcome.

As for the rest of the day, I found myself tired yesterday...I'm not sure why. Possibly because I can't seem to sleep in past 5:00 a.m. most mornings. We go to bed early, and so it's not as if I'm not getting enough sleep. Nevertheless, I'm ready for a nap around 10:00 a.m., and so diving into salsa canning didn't sound particularly appealing. Still, I wanted to get at those Dresden blocks, and so I did the canning, which took longer to cook down than expected. My yield was 5 pints.


For a batch of salsa, I need five pounds of tomatoes. There were 3-1/2 pounds on our own plants when we returned home from our trip. The farmers provided the additional 1-1/2 pounds of Romas in our share this week. Also, they supplied the 3 necessary jalapenos, and the 1 necessary red bell pepper. I still had two onions and garlic left from a previous share, and so I had most of what I needed. The only thing I purchased from the grocery store was a bunch of cilantro, and the jars above are what came of all that.

It was almost 2:00 p.m. by the time I got into the sewing room yesterday. By day's end, I only had two more Dresdens made. These are so tedious and time-consuming, and I'm not even half finished with them. As I've shared with a few of you, I may have found something I dislike even more than paper-piecing.


So here's something for future reference: If I ever make plans to make another quilt featuring Dresdens, please suggest that I have my head examined first. Thank you.

Fortunately, I had dinner in the slow cooker, and so I didn't need to do any more cooking for the day. We got three bell peppers in our CSA share this week. One went into the salsa, and I checked my recipe database for what to do with the other two. I found this recipe I'd made once before, and it is so easy and yummy. You gotta love a dish that can be prepared completely using the microwave oven and a slow cooker. It's a great way to use leftover rice too. One pepper makes a surprisingly filling serving.

I didn't take a picture of my own dish, but here's an image I found on Pinterest. It's a pretty good likeness.


My own recipe is an adaptation from a slow cooker cookbook. It's ready for the slow cooker in just about 20 minutes. It works best if you choose bell peppers that can stand on their own two feet.

Stuffed Bell Peppers with Spicy Corn and Black Beans
adapted from Slow Cooker Revolution, Volume 2
Recipe has been scaled to 2 servings, but can be doubled.

2 (6 oz.) red, orange, or yellow bell peppers
1/2 cup chopped onion
1/2 tablespoon olive oil
1/2 tablespoon minced garlic
3/4 cups shredded Cheddar Jack cheese, divided
1/2 (15 oz.) can black beans, rinsed
1/2 cup cooked rice
1/2 cup frozen corn
1/2 cup jarred tomato salsa
1 tablespoons minced fresh cilantro, divided
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon pepper

1. Trim 1/2 inch off top of each pepper, then remove core and seeds. Finely chop pepper tops, discarding stems. Microwave pepper tops, onion, oil, and garlic in large bowl, stirring occasionally, until vegetables are softened, about 5 minutes. Stir in 1/2 cup Cheddar Jack, beans, rice, corn, salsa, 1/2 tablespoon cilantro, salt, and pepper. Pack filling evenly into cored peppers.

2. Pour 2/3 cup water into slow cooker. Place stuffed peppers upright in slow cooker. Cover and cook until peppers are tender, 4-5 hours on low or 3-4 hours on high.

3. Sprinkle peppers evenly with remaining 1/4 cup Cheddar Jack, cover and cook until cheese is melted, about 5 minutes. Using tongs and slotted spoon, transfer peppers to serving dish; discard cooking liquid. Sprinkle with remaining 1/2 tablespoon cilantro and serve.

* * * * *

The only other sewing I've done for the past couple of days is to continue on with the second of three snowmen blocks. This one is taking a little longer because of that chain stitch around the wreath. When I finished working on it this morning, I had it this far:


Okay, so today will be much like yesterday, only take out the salsa canning and substitute Spicy Plum Barbecue Sauce. Then, I'll get back to those dastardly Dresdens. I'm hoping I can get more done on them today than yesterday.

9 comments:

Cathy said...

Haha! Dresdens are only a 4 on the 1-10 scale of NQS (Nasty Quilty Stuff). Paper piecing is a 23 or so (root canals are only 19).

kc said...

What, pray tell is a basted egg? Unless I'm reading that wrong? I am reading it a 3 am, without glasses, and on the phone, in the dark, so, just maybe, it's something else? We use avocado on BLTs instead of mayo, all the time, well, when they are affordable, so, yeah, I get that. When I was reading the menu options, I knew you and Driver would enjoy the Fiesta version. I think you were pretty darned productive, in spite of yourself!

Yeah, Dresdens are way down on my list of faves too, but I do enjoy the results of paper piecing enough to keep doing it. Dresdens, not so much, once was enough.

Julierose said...

I like how your dresdens are coming out--they do take time (really?? Hah!!) but they are so pretty once done ...hugs, Julierose

SJSM said...

You have given me a greater appreciation for the Dresden quilt my grandmother made. I remember seeing the quilt many times at her house and thinking how pretty it was. She kept it as a showcase quilt. I do not know who ended up with that quilt but it is a real treasure.

I do need to make something happen in the garden. I have not touched it yet. Perhaps I will borrow my daughters dehydrator and dehydrate a bunch of tomatoes. Sounds easy. I wonder if it is. I’ve done cherry tomatoes in the oven and did like them in the winter on salads c

Thanks for another recipe.

Kathy H said...

I’m not a fan of making Dresdens either but I love them on a quilt or wall hanging. So I tell myself they are worth it! I’m glad you added the yo-yos to the centers. They look great.

piecefulwendy said...

That stuffed pepper recipe looks delicious. Since I'm the only pepper eater in the house, I'd have to greatly reduce this, but I do want to try it sometime. I still haven't tried avocado toast! So dresden has become a four-letter word? LOL

quiltzyx said...

I may have to look for those little packets of avocado when I am out & about. Hmmm.

Maybe you were tired from the flu shot? Anyway, naps are always good.

The salsa is so pretty in the jars! Good job Barbara!

Beth said...

That recipe sounds great. As a divided family--one vegetarian, one non--I'm always looking for delicious-sounding recipes we can share. Bonus if they harken back to things our moms might have made, like this one did. (I miss many of the dinners I gave up when I left meat behind.)
My favorite dresden block is the one I made that involved sewing the blades together and then squaring the whole thing up. I've seen it done a few times, by Kathy Doughty and Jenny Doan, for example, and it takes the painstaking aggravation out of the process. Would be totally out of character for this charming quilt, of course, but it's a lot more fun.

Lyndsey said...

I love your Dresden blocks and I enjoy making them. OK so I'm slightly mad but they are so satisfying once made.