10/28/19

A Start to the Stars

It was one of those sewing days where I might as well have stayed in bed. The first star went off without a hitch. Before I embarked on a journey of 92 stars, I wanted to make sure I liked what I was doing. Also, this one will serve as a model to make sure all the points are pointing in the same direction.


And that was looking fine to me, so I pinned it up next to my sewing machine for reference. Then, I laid out all the pieces for the first row of nine stars and proceeded to sew one of the sections together wrong. So I took it all out again, and then sewed it together incorrectly yet again...only a different mistake this time. Oy. Okay...so third time's a charm, right? And finally, I had a stack of nine stars.


Matthew showed up about then, and so I spent some time chatting with him. He was doing some work on his van outside, and so I was able to get back to my sewing. The next step was to sew the nine stars into a row...


And then attach them to the left side of the quilt center. I was attempting to take a picture, but the quilt inspectors needed to have their say first.


This was too big a job for one cat, and so Smitty called in his trusty sidekick.

Sadie!!! Come look at Mom's Purrine Corps quilt!!! We need your purrspective on this!


You don't have to yell, Smitty. I'm right here. 


Eventually, they rendered their verdicts, and I was allowed to purrceed with both my picture and my sewing. It seems a little dark with the dark row of stars, but I will be adding a wide border with a white background very soon, and that will brighten it up. Also, I'm considering using some of the red, white, and blue stripe in a very narrow border, and that will add a touch of fun to it as well.


So I've made the half square triangles for the next row of nine. When I left the sewing room, I had them laid out for today's sewing.


There's nothing else on today's agenda. This will be the third day of almost nothing but sewing, and I'm enjoying the easy-going pace of things for the moment.

7 comments:

Julierose said...

Your inspectors are so cute..they just pose so well...
Hugs, Julierose

Vroomans' Quilts said...

Sometimes Friendship Stars can become unfriendly. Your helpers are right on the job. Mine have gotten rather lazy in the line of duty.

gpc said...

This is going to be another gorgeous quilt.

Carol- Beads and Birds said...

The quilt is coming along nicely. It's easy to see it has kitty approval too.
xx, Carol

piecefulwendy said...

Oy is right. Glad you finally found the rhythm and got them done. Kitty approval is key, so you are rolling along well. Hope you enjoyed your day of NBS.

kc said...

Sometimes ya just gotta let the paws do their job! And they do it so well! Glad you got those stars tamed so well, sometimes they can be tricky. Looks like you are doing all squares and half sq triangles, so no partial seams, right?

Take it easy while you can!

quiltzyx said...

And awaaaaay you go with those stars! Good to see the inspectors are on the job too.