10/24/19

A Finish and a Start

Nearly the whole day was spent sewing the binding on Wine Country yesterday, and I'm happy to say that quilt is now history. It finishes at 58 x 73 inches...a nice sized throw.


Here's how it looks from the back. If I'm remembering correctly, I used every bit of fabric from both front and back piecing together the quilt back.


When I squared it up, I cut off a fair amount of that cork fabric, and I'll be able to use that in another small quilt.

Of course, I owe my success to the heroic efforts of my cats. Over the course of two days, they were my constant companions as I did the hand stitching.


Now the quilt has been washed, and it's taking its place in the living room. Mike is especially fond of it, and so he'll use it to keep warm on the coming cold mornings.

There was just a little time left in the day, and so I started sewing together the center panel for the Marine Corps quilt.


The center panel is intended to be a small stand-alone wall hanging or table runner or whatever you might use a small quilt for. I was disappointed to find there were no dimensions listed for the larger panels, and in any case, they were already cut apart. The instructions said only to "cut within the marked lines." So I carefully lined up my ruler "within the marked lines," and cut...only to realize too late that they were not all the same size. Duh. Clearly, I wasn't thinking ahead far enough. So, you can see I've added some strips to the top and bottom of the uppermost panel, and I'll probably have to add some to the sides as well. It'll be fine when it's all done, but I was annoyed with it just the same. We're not off to a good start. Today will probably go a little better.

As the sun was setting yesterday, I got outside to take a picture of one of our Japanese maple trees. Its leaves are green in the spring and summer. In the fall, it puts on quite a show.


We have some red leaf maples in the other direction, and their leaves are so bright red they're practically glowing. I tried to get their picture too, but with the darkness, the images were blurry. I'll get them this morning and show you tomorrow.

My day should be mostly sewing today, and I'm hoping to get well along with the Marine Corps quilt. There are just a few minor things to do around the house, but the next several days look good with sunshine and sewing aplenty.

14 comments:

Vicki W said...

Wine Country turned out really nice and looks very snuggly. Your maple tree is spectacular!

Danette said...

Very lovely wine country quilt! I've bought panels before and mine were not the same size either. I agree, it is quite annoying. I love your Japanese maple and, of course, Smitty and Sadie. Have a great day!

barbara woods bewtjw@gmail.com said...

Beautiful quilt

Katie said...

I have struggled with panels as well, in particular that they are often not printer straight or square. But like this one, sometimes it's so perfect, you roll with the punches and get it done. The Wine Country quilt is beautiful and I'm glad to see all stages of construction were well supervised. We have beautiful colors here, too. This fall is turning into a beautiful onea

Louise said...

Panels almost always need a lot of TLC to get them square and ready to add borders. But I love using them, and your Marine quilt is going to be great! The wine quilt is a fabulous finish and I don't blame your DH for claiming it already :)

Quilting Babcia said...

Wine Country is a stunning quilt, I hope Mike is willing to give it up occasionally so you can enter it in some local shows. I have yet to work with a panel that was printed straight and on grain. So frustrating.

Julierose said...

Wine country is beautiful...nice work...what a beautiful tree...hugs, Julierose

Janarama said...

Good thing you have two helpers, otherwise you'd never get anything done. The wine country quilt is awesome. Wowza, the color of the red maple leaf tree is breathtaking!

Vroomans' Quilts said...

Fabulous finish with Wine Country and extra skritches to those helpers. Panels with multiple section are never the same size. Even full panels can be a bit 'a-wonk'. You will work it all out.

kc said...

I like panels like you like grocery stores... Anything but a panel please! You're managing it well tho! Thank goodness for lap sitters, be hard to make it through without'em, I'm sure. Wine Country looks nice and snuggly. We had large and free washers today, so we took advantage and my king size went in one, the sofa blanket for pup went in one and her bed went in the last one. Guess we're all good for another 6 months, eh? Stay well and warm!

Linda Schiffer said...

I thought of you instantly when I saw this free cross stitch design online:
https://gazette94.blogspot.com/2019/09/vendanges-2019.html

:) Linda

Kate said...

Panels are really hard to work with, they seem to have their own logic. Beautiful fall colors. We've had a little fall color, but we had a hard freeze before the leaves started changing color. It looks like most of the leaves have died, so we aren't going to get a lot of fall color this year.

quiltzyx said...

Kudos to Sadie & Smitty for helping to keep your stitching on track. And congrats to you on another beautiful finish.
I just saw that the "California" panels I ordered from Hawthorne Supplies should be in my mailbox now. I bought an extra one to donate to my guild's holiday party basket raffle.

OMG is your Japanese Maple incredible! Thanks so much for sharing your photos with us all.

piecefulwendy said...

That's my biggest issue with panels. I always seem to goof up the cutting. I'm sure yours will work out just fine. That Japanese maple is gorgeous!