8/31/19

Winding Down

Friday morning started with my usual walk with Sue. We had oatmeal first, and I gave her the mug rug I made from the bread sack. It was a good morning for walking in August because it was cloudy and cool, if just a little bit muggy. Along the way the orange berries of the pyracantha have appeared. A harbinger of fall if I've ever seen one. These are also known as "firethorns."


In the image below, they looked pretty next to the white trunk of an aspen tree. The aspens should begin turning soon, and I expect we'll see a lot of them in Colorado.


Apple season is here, and so there are ripe apples everywhere.


It's been a good season for sweet peas, and they are still seen blooming in abundance along the roads.


The curious cows stood looking at us. They'd been moved to greener pastures. When we passed by them the first time, they were off in the distance, but they moved closer when we returned.


Of course, I love the cattails. I like them even better on actual cats.


As we returned to our starting point, I noticed these little pink flowers growing by the side of the road. The plants were about ankle high, and the flowers smaller than thimbles.


After saying good-bye and Happy Birthday to Sue, I headed for home and another long day on my feet. We're down to our final day of preparations for our month-long trip. Matthew will be here at the house while we're gone, which makes some of the house preparations unnecessary. It will be good to have him here to keep up with some of the watering. I'd hate for things to burn up while we're gone.

Originally, Matthew was going to pick some of the plums and refrigerate them. Then, in a "duh" moment, I realized I could pick them and freeze them to be made into barbecue sauce when we get home. I only needed four pounds, which just about fills my medium sized stainless steel bowl.


When they were halved and pitted, they filled a gallon zip-lock bag, and into the freezer they went. I'm happy I'll get to use them this year, and there are still plenty on the tree. I invited Matthew to eat as many as he wants, and they're perfect for eating right now.


I'll probably go outside and eat a few myself before we leave. Heck, I'll pick some to take along.

Other preparations yesterday had mainly to do with using up the rest of the CSA share. I had three poblano peppers to use and some leftover stuffing in my freezer. I roasted and peeled the poblanos, and then stuffed them to make Poblanos Stuffed with Cheddar and Chicken, and then froze them to take along. After that, I got busy packing the food, and I'm happy to say that the food preparation and packing is done. All that's left for me to do today is to pack my clothes and toiletries. There are a few random chores to do as well, but it should be an easier day today.

Did I get any help from the resident cats in all of this? What do you think?


Just possibly there will be some time for sewing before we take off, but I'm not expecting it. Mainly, I'll just put things away to await my return.

And so you should know that I won't be posting tomorrow, and my next post will come when we have good internet or cell service. Probably on Monday, but one never knows. We're heading off to Colorado to ride ATV's in the mountains. There will be some sight-seeing along the way, and then we'll come home through Moab, where we'll do some more riding. I'll be blogging along the way as much as I'm able, and so we'll keep in touch as we go.

Until next time, sew on, my friends. And, please, you folks in the path of Hurricane Dorian, take care and stay safe.

10 comments:

Julierose said...

Have a wonderful trip...hugs, Julierose ;)))

Dorothy said...

Have a fabulous trip and be safe on those ATVs :-)

Shari said...

Looking forward to going on vacation with you. Safe travels!

Kate said...

Hope your trip got off to a good start. Looking forward to seeing where you go and what you find along the way.

piecefulwendy said...

Enjoy your trip, Barbara! Safe travels!

Lyndsey said...

Have a fabulous trip. I will be enjoying the trip from my armchair and with a mug of tea in hand.

Marie Gilkey said...

By any chance are those firethorns also called bittersweet? In Missouri we have these orange berries that actually turn into little flowers. Just wondering.

Della said...

I was thinking the same thing about the bittersweet. Hope you have a wonderful trip.

QuiltGranma said...

Have a great trip! Let me know if Its Sew Moab is still in business. Last time I was through it was under new management. Hope they kept a quilt shop there. Lots of nice "local" type fabric prints to check out.

quiltzyx said...

Looks like a number of the cows were coming up to greet you & Sue - hoping for a hand-out maybe?

The plums are making my mouth water, even in the ziploc bag! Lucky Matthew!!