8/28/19

Stars in my Eyes

It took all day, but I managed to get my 16 stars for the Sundress quilt finished. Remember these?


They've been turned into these.


Also, while I was making these, I re-wrote the lyrics to that Johnny Cash song. See if this sounds familiar:

You sew sixteen stars, what do you get
Another day older and deeper in debt
Saint Peter don't you call me 'cause I can't go
I owe my soul to the fab-er-ic store

It could be a hit, don't you think?

So, I tried at least three times to get the stars stacked on top of one another for chain-piecing. But each time I ended up with mismatched pieces, or extra pieces, or something else that wasn't right. Finally I decided the best way to sew them was to do them four at a time. So I laid out four stars-worth of half square triangles.


I covered them with rulers for safe-keeping because, you know...


And, you know...


Lucky for me, they each took a turn on the quilts-to-be-quilted pile.



When I had the first set sewn together, they looked like this.


Continuing on, I sewed the second set together.


I had the third set partially sewn together when it was time to go pick-up our CSA share.


When I got home, I planned what to do with all the veggies and put them away. Then, I got straight back to work on the third set of stars.


I had the fourth set all laid out when it was time for dinner.


Mike has been working outside after dinner, and that gave me enough time to finish up the fourth and last set. When I pressed the last block open, oops. That ain't right.


Usually I wouldn't notice something like this until it was sewn into the quilt and quilted over. But I set it to right and the fourth set was finished. Ta-Da!


Miss Sadie helped me cut another piece of fabric for yet another embroidery take-along piece.


I'm moving along with the Sweet Land of Liberty block, and so that makes me think I need another one to take along...just in case, you know. This morning, I'll trace out another shorty, this one from Bird Brain Designs.


I wanted to do something small, and something I could pull from my left over stash of floss. Robin Kingsley is the designer at Bird Brain Designs. She suggests perle cotton for this piece, but I'm going to use three strands of floss from already wound floss bobbins in my many boxes of floss scraps.

It's going to be a busy day. I'm getting my monthly pedicure, and I'm also getting my hair colored. You might remember I was supposed to get a perm last week, but then it was rescheduled. And then my friend, SJSM, gave me a different idea. She told me she only colors her hair now and the color gives her the body she wants without the need to perm. And that reminded me I used to color my hair, and I remember it always gave me nice body. So instead of perming today, I'm going to try getting some color. It's a good time to do it, and I can always perm next time around if I'm not happy with it. I'm not going to change the color of my hair...I'll just get color to cover the one or two thousand strands of gray I've seen.

Also, I need to figure out the food for our upcoming trip. Picking up a load of CSA vegetables just a few days before we leave complicates the picture. My refrigerator space is limited in our truck camper, and so I need to be creative for the beginning of our trip. More later. For now, it's time to get going.

11 comments:

Nancy said...

Ok you didn’t mention fixing that lower left block in the second set. I have to mention it now so you can fix it before you sew everything together. It would drive me crazy to see it later. I am sure your helpers switched that block on you when you uncovered the block to sew it. They seem to play those kinds of tricks on you.

gpc said...

Exactly what Nancy said. They are beautiful, though. It is always amazing how an annoying pile of scrap turns into something wonderful after a bizillion hours of work. Bizillion is also the number of gray hairs I have, so I will be curious to see how your experiment turns out.

Julierose said...

Just lovely sparkling stars---you've gotten a lot done...
good luck with the color--hope it works out for easier care for you...
I have fine hair so I totally get it. I wish my hair had as much body as my actual "body" does lol;)))
Hugs, Julierose

Quilting Babcia said...

Pretty stars. Oh, and thanks for the new earworm!

kauanoeanuhea said...

I love your rendition of the song but isn't that Ernie Ford's song "16 Tons"?
I wish I had the energy you have; I can't seem to keep up with all my UFOs so for now no new projects (welllll except for baby quilt for my niece's baby boy, a class learning how to transfer one of my cat's (Pattycake) into a quilted wall hanging (you know how it goes one thing leads to another) Oh Well, back to the UFOs soon! Not to mention the embroidery projects!
You keep me motivated every time I read your blog. Plus I always enjoy seeing what Sadie and Smitty are up to. I always relay their "doings" to K.C., Tabitha and Pattycake. They have requested a clubhouse but I told them they have to make do with a cardboard box!

Vroomans' Quilts said...

You've already been alerted to the other oopsie block. I just love the pic of Sadie - such a gorgeous face she has. I need a new coloring job as well as a hair cut. Cleaning up the Summer flower beds to prep for the Fall mumms and a dash of pumpkins with scarecrows.

piecefulwendy said...

Had to giggle when I saw the oopsie, because I can totally relate. I get on a roll, only to notice I flipped something wrong. The kitties are doing a good job of helping you quilt and holding down those pieces. You sure don't want those strong winds in the quilt room to blow those pieces away - ha! Will we get to see you with your not-new hair color?

SJSM said...

The world pipes in to the 3 Cat Ranch to save you from an overlooked turn of cloth. How great is that? I’m sure your CSA veggies will get a thorough check over and a delicious addition to your meals. If not, cook them down, put them in the freezer and soup this winter.

Yes, do let us see your hair after the salon visit. I’m curious to know if you find your hair easier to manage with the color vs a perm.

We are coming to the end of 2 weeks with little dogs. Our DD and SIL are hiking the Taho Rim Trail and we ended up with them. I truly understand why I prefer cats. The upside is I’m getting huge step counts on my Fitbit. 82k last week!

Beth said...

Our 9-month-old puppy had an osteotomy last week. He'll be fine, but we've been instructed to keep him "completely calm and quiet" for the next month while his leg heals (part of the 3-month healing process) or else he'll surely need a re-do of the surgery. Ha! So he and I are banished to the guest room, on a mattress on the floor, making occasional trips outside, trying our best to be quiet and calm. He's doing his best, as am I, but I'll admit to some bickering. Your posts are so welcome! The topsy-turvy block was enough drama for this sanitarium that I gasped aloud: "Oh no!". Good thing you resolved the problem before the end of the post. I don't know if I could have taken the suspense, here in the land of Absolute Calm.

QuiltGranma said...

Oh, My Stars! That will be a darling quilt! Your helpers have been busy! Love your word change on an old favorite song. My Daddy could sing like Tennessee Ernie Ford. Miss him.

quiltzyx said...

Great photo of Sadie on the to be quilted stack - with arrows pointing at her, in case we missed her! And then the Smitster using his laser pointers to help you out too.

The stars all look just fine in the end - nothing like a bit of turny drama to keep us on task, eh?