8/5/19

Cat Days of Summer

Yesterday I read something about "Dogust," which was in reference to the "dog days of summer," only with actual dogs. And, of course, we here at the Three Cats Ranch just sniffed at that reference. We know that these are cat days...each and every day of the year. It was warm yesterday, though. Smitty found his favorite cool spot in the house, on top of the china cabinet. The surface stays cool and cools off his tummy.


Sadie is plotting murder I think. As we go down the stairs, we have to be careful of cats lying in wait.


Yesterday morning, I sat and stitched up November's heart. It took a little longer than expected, but I wanted to get it done.


After that, I needed to get out and water the thirsty flower pots. I'll have to do that again today since it's been warm the past couple of days. While we were gone, the cherry tomatoes ripened in abundance. We're not plucking them from the plant fast enough, and so I'll probably pick all of the ripe ones today. Matthew is coming, and he'll enjoy them too.


Also, I harvested the first of the greenhouse tomatoes. There isn't enough to do much here, but maybe a nice pico de gallo or something else salsa like.


Also, Mike decided he could put off planting last year's Christmas tree no longer. It finally has a home in the center loop of our driveway.


With outside work done, I got to work quilting the Quiltemala quilt. This is going very well, and it's also going pretty fast. The bottom half of the quilt is finished, and I expect to finish the rest of the quilting today.


With the hand-woven fabrics fraying so badly, I'm quilting it rather densely with this motif I call a "square stipple." I was using the last of a grey Superior thread. When it was gone, I switched to a gray Aurifil. I've decided Aurifil threads are the best ones to use with Eliza. When I switched, the machine started stitching so nicely, and even more quietly. I've noticed this before. Making the switch mid-quilt has really convinced me to stick with Aurifil for my Babylock Tiara II machine.


When I quit for the day, it was looking like this. You can see the back in the image below. The quilt back is pieced with the domestic homespun and the remainder of the Guatemala hand wovens. It's difficult to even see the quilting on the Guatemala fabrics.


So I'm pretty happy with how this is all working out. I'm hoping to finish the quilting today, and just possibly, I'll get the binding sewn on too. The strips are cut, but not sewn together yet.

For last night's dinner, I was on a quest to use the CSA broccoli and some of the CSA onions. I tried this new recipe for Bacon, Gruyere, and Broccoli Quiche. It was pretty easy. I used a Pillsbury refrigerated pie crust and the rest went together fairly quickly. It was tasty, and there were leftovers for two days of breakfasts. Can't beat that. I baked it in my toaster oven, and so I didn't have to warm up the house much. Looks good, huh?


I used diced pancetta in place of the bacon, and I sauteed the onions in the drippings from the pancetta. Also, the recipe calls for two cups of milk or light cream. I had just a bit of heavy cream left, and then I added 2% milk to make up the difference. It was a good consistency, and I'd do that again.

Okay, so back to my quilting. I'm very hopeful things will continue moving along smoothly, and I can get that large quilt finished up.

12 comments:

Julierose said...

Your quilting is really looking good on the hand woven fabrics...nice job!
I don't know if it's dog or cat days--BUT HOT is the word...
totally poops me out...hugs, from House on the Hill Julierose

Debbie said...

I love your square stippling! It works really well on this style graphic quilt. And I so agree, nothing bets Aurifil on the Tiara!

Jenny said...

Yummy looking quiche! Haven't made one for a while, should get on to that, I think.

Teresa said...

Interesting blog and thanks for sharing your quilting style. I like the way it looks. That quiche
looks yummy for sure!

crazy quilter said...

Yum that quiche looks delicious. The Guatemala quilt is looking quite stellar. Keep cool , hard to do in my part of the world thank goodness for the air conditioner!

Natureluvr57 said...

I only had quiche once and didn't like it but that looks and sounds delicious! Bacon, onions and cheese-a winning combo! It's been very hot and dry here. It rained around 2 am thankfully. Sunday I was watering my potted plants and thought my little feral friend brushed against my pants leg but when I looked down it was a young skunk who ski-daddled right into the shed! Life went on, yesterday I kept a gate up at the door and when we went to shut the door, 3 little faces were at the gate waiting to get out! How long had they been in there I wonder. They ran somewhere, we opened the gate enough for them to get out and waited. They took their time but in the meantime another one ran across the alley. Way too many skunks-so it's kind of a skunk days of summer in this 'hood. Can't leave the shed door open so it'll be getting hot in there.

mangozz said...

Your quiche looks and sounds wonderful! I love quiche and need to start making them again. Your quilt is looking good too! I really like your square stippling. Sometimes my cat sprawls out in the bathtub to stay cool.

Kate said...

The quiche sounds amazing! Nice quilting plan for the Guatemala quilt. You are really moving along on that project.

piecefulwendy said...

Love the quilting on the Guatemala quilt! Interesting about the two brands of thread and how your machine likes them. I tried Superior when I got my new Janome, and it really didn't like it. However, I need to try it again and make sure I have the right needle and tension, etc. My other Janome loved Superior thread. I use Aurifil most of the time. That quiche looks yummy, as do those tomatoes. Made a mini cherry pie the other night. The crust was a bit tough, I think I needed a bit more water. I'll have to keep practicing; I've never been good at pies!

Shelina (formerly known as Shasta) said...

I really like the quilting design you chose for that quilt!

Carol- Beads and Birds said...

Cats find the oddest places to lay! We have to watch where we walk because one of the little dogs is always underfoot. I like the quilt design you did on the quilt. Very complimentary. I absolutely love quiche. I don't make it often but I do make Pillsbury Impossible Pies a couple of times a year. Terry and I do not like the same things so it's good to be able to make two small ones.
xx, Carol

quiltzyx said...

Smitty looks sooo looooong on top of the china cabinet! And then Sadie looks so tiny on the stair step. LOL

Quiltemala looks terrific with your square stippling! Lucky Matthew.