7/3/19

Two Tiny Finishes

There were a lot of busy work things to do yesterday morning, and so I didn't make it into the sewing room until mid-afternoon. You might recall I've been trying to declutter in bits and pieces. Every other week, I spend 15 minutes deleting old photos, and old papers from grad school, and other old forgotten stuff off my computer's hard drive. Then on the off weeks from that, I spend 15 minutes getting rid of junk accumulated over about 30 years. Yesterday I took four boxes of "really good stuff" to Goodwill and threw out another two grocery sacks of dried up cosmetics, dried up nail polish, and that sort of thing. If only it were that easy to delete pounds from my body.

But with all of that, I needed me some slow-stitching, and so I started and finished the little barn quilt on Block #6 for the Appalachian Memories quilt.


While I was doing that, the kitties were hanging out on the catio. They still haven't climbed the ladder or spent much time on their catwalk. One of you had a good idea for using old quilts to entice them. Today I think I'll drape an older quilt over the catwalk, and see if I can get them to use it.


Sadie defers to Smitty about his throne. She'll take the shelves when he's out there.


He rules the corner roost, but she's happy to sit there when she's out by herself.


Coyote Man was out yesterday and set some traps. We're hopeful things will move along a little more quickly now that there are actual traps. Fingers crossed. We're in waiting mode just now.

When I got back from my trip into town, I sewed the binding onto the little redwork quilt.


After that, I got started on my Rainbow Scrap Challenge blocks. I'm starting with the Charm Stars. I had a lot of help for this part of my sewing day. Sadie was telling the jokes on this day.

Hey, Smitty...What do cats like to eat for breakfast? 


I don't know, Sadie. What do cats like to eat for breakfast?



Are you ready for it? Mice Krispies!



Hahahahahahahahahaha! Heeeheeeeeheeeeeheeeeheeee! Oh my paws! I'm so funny!



Okay, well there was entirely too much laughing and not enough working, and so I only got half of the squares cut for the two charm stars. I'm hoping to get these finished today, and then I'll get a start on my other RSC project.


When I went upstairs, I thought I was finished sewing for the day, but I ended up hand-sewing the binding on the redwork quilt, and now it is a finish too.


Here's how it looks from the back.


Looks like I got the label a little crooked, but oh well. This is going to hang on the wall, and so it doesn't really matter.

Today I'll be doing a little cooking for our Fourth of July get-together tomorrow. I'll be baking a pie tomorrow, and so I want to get my potato salad finished today. Other than that...same old, same old. How are your Fourth of July preparations shaping up?

11 comments:

Julierose said...

Lovely redwork finish--just so adorable...

Glad to hear that C-Man finally set the traps..;)))

On our way to walk the boardwalk in the next town very early this morning, before that heat set in,--we came across a jogger-- stopped and standing very still by the side of the road, and the car ahead of us was also stopped--????
THEN--we saw it-- a BOBCAT disappearing into the brush by the side of the road--scarey...we have been hearing that in our neighborhood one has been sighted too...;000

Also Mr. fox trotted by this morning, and we saw 6 turkeys,,,
it's like a wildlife refuge here lately...But I really don't like that bobcat being around...luckily we do not have any pets anymore as i would be
definitely keeping them inside....

Hope you have a wonderful 4th--we are at home and just we two--so it will be a quiet one...hugs, Julierose

Quilting Babcia said...

We're going to laze the day away tomorrow, for me that means as much sewing time as possible, and very little else. Maybe having my morning latte on the side porch if it isn't too muggy and hot. Enjoy your holiday get together!

quiltzyx said...

Well Sadie, I liked your joke! Mice Krispies!! HAHAHAHAHAHHA!

Nice job on the little redwork quiltlet.

Oh hooray for the Coyote Man FINALLY setting the traps. Hope it goes quickly.

Happy Independence Day tomorrow!

SJSM said...

Sadie is such a crack up!

We will attend a BBQ at a neighbors. Today was spent making a slaw which included roasted corn, a touch of mint, red pepper, peanuts with a peanut butter based dressing with lime and cumin. It is very colorful and quite tasty. It did take a while to make so I did not see my sewing room. Qthoae sleeves will need to wait one more day to be added to the shirt.

We discussed plans for a driving vacation going through Oregon after attending a family wedding at the end of July. It appears we may not make reservations and will "wing it" on our itinerary. I’m running out of time to plan with all the other obligations I have before we leave. It will all work out to be a perfectly good times, I’m sure. I’m so used to planning that this elms a little daring to drive without knowing where we will be each night.

Enjoy the 4th with your family.

piecefulwendy said...

No big plans for the 4th, pretty much the usual here. If the weather holds, we might grill something for dinner. Glad Coyote Man got those traps set, hope he gets them soon. Happy 4th to you and yours!

Bobbin said...

We don't have any plans for the fourth, just staying in and working on our hobbies. Trying to stay cool.

So glad the traps have been set, but I hope Coyote Man checks them promptly so that if one (or more) is trapped, it doesn't get stuck in there for too long. I assume he's going to relocate? Gosh, I hope so.

Tell Sadie thanks for the joke. Those cats of yours, they're quite the comedians. My cats never had much of a sense of humor (although one lived to the ripe old age of 23--plenty of time to come up with at least one good zinger, I think!)

Happy fourth!

mangozz said...

Love your little redwork quilt! You always seem to find the cutest designs to work on. Have you ever tried to design your own? I've been thinking lately of maybe trying a little embroidery again myself for some handwork. I did a little years ago and I'm sure with a little practice, it would come back to me. Do you back your fabric with something so that the thread tails don't show through or do you use a heavier weight cotton to embroider on? May as well ask a pro. I probably won't be using a kit, just fooling around on my own. I can't believe your cats won't use that ladder! Mine would be up there in a flash. Hopefully, your traps will catch the coyotes and you will be able to let the kitties out without so much worrying.

Vicki W said...

They are probably not using the ladder just because they know you want them to! 😊

gpc said...

Nice shout out to Michigan! Maybe they are worried that the ladder is the Mighty Mac and don't want to fall in the water? And good timing by Coyote Man, traps set just in time for Independence Day. Not so good for the coyotes, but there are winners and losers in every skirmish.

Kate said...

Your mini quilt turned out beautifully! Hope the traps work quickly!

QuiltGranma said...

Out our window today I spied Mr. Quail land on top of the fence post, check out for possible harm, then back to the ground to lead his herd of babies (11!) over to the other side of the gravel road. Then they headed back to the greenery of weeds on my side, where they climbed through and over. Then they headed west off toward the neighbors. I LOVE seeing those tiny balls of fluff zipping around their Daddy baby sitter's feet.

Nice joke Sadie! I'll bet they'd love mice-cream too!