7/5/19

Pinky

Most of the day yesterday was taken up baking a lemon meringue pie. Lemon meringue is my favorite. My grandmother always baked one when we visited. She knew I loved it, and now I can't bake my own pie without thinking of her. 

My luck with pies is kind of hit or miss, especially with the crust. Fortunately, lemon meringue has only a bottom crust and so all sins are hidden. Still, I'm trying my best for a flaky, and not soggy, crust. Also, I'm striving for custard that sets up perfectly, so it doesn't run when you cut into it, nor is it rubbery in its "mouth feel." Finally I'm seeking meringue that is light and fluffy and melts in your mouth, also without being rubbery. The "weeping" of meringue (when it forms those little syrupy droplets) doesn't bother me, but I know it warrants demerits at the state fair, and so I try to avoid it. So with all those little challenges, my pies often fall down on at least one count. Yesterday's pie was perfect. I have no explanation for this, other than plain dumb luck...and maybe a little bit of practice.


With that finished, and the kitchen cleaned up, I had some time to sew together the Charm Stars. First this one...


Sadie slept through these fabric choices, and so she felt she needed to critique my own selections. This is how we learn.

Purrsonally, I might have chosen a different pink for that corner piece.


And then this one...


There was still some time left in the day, and so I did the most recent Tiny Tuesday block. Smitty helped by reading the instructions to me as I worked.

Are you ready fur the next part?


This block was created by Libby who blogs at Life on the Hill. It was so simple and turned out so cute. This block would be easy to resize too. I could see a whole quilt made from these...or make multiple small ones to create a single block. Here's what I did with it.


And then it was set in a straight setting.


After that, it was time to get ready for family arriving. We had such a nice quiet Fourth, with lots of good food and laughter. On the menu, Mike grilled and smoked two flank steaks. I made a dill potato salad. Erik and Mae contributed a delicious radicchio mixed salad made with all CSA veggies. Matthew and Lyndsay contributed a watermelon, which was a nice refreshing choice. Everything was tasty.

Today is going to be an easy-going day. I'll get out and fill the bird feeders, but then I think it's going to be an NBS day. Next on the list is to make the pink Paintbox Pizzazz (awesome alliteration) blocks. The only thing left on my list of "monthlies" at that point will be the July Garden Sunshine blocks. It looks like I'll be able to get an early start quilting the Solstice to Solstice quilt.


Sadie already has co-opted it for her purrsonal fort, and so I should probably get to it soon before it is lost forever.

14 comments:

Calicojoan said...

I got a wild hair to make lemon meringue pie on Memorial day...it's been years since I've had one. It really hit the spot.

Julierose said...

Beautiful pie finish!! I'll bet it all went, too;)))yum

I have never attempted a lemon meringue pie--apple is my specialty...

We had a quiet 4th--today my daughter is bringing one of her twins to a friend's beach cottage in our Town; so, she will stay and have dinner with us--potluck tonight is pot roast in the crock pot...good choice Candice...
hope your weekend is fun-filled...hugs, Julierose

Libby in TN said...

Thanks for the shout-out. I'm glad you enjoyed making my easy block. I agree it can be resized in so many ways.

Debbie said...

Ditto on loving Lemon Pie! Yours looks wonderful...not a miss at all.

quiltzyx said...

Your pie looks FABULOUS! Congrats on it all coming together as planned!! Lemon meringue was my Mom's specialty, and she made it all by taste, never wrote down a recipe.
Your blocks look terrific. I had thought about finally getting my sewing machine out of the rolly cart & set up again, but the quake knocked that right out of me. (I've heard there has been a bunch of aftershocks, but I haven't felt any of them.)
The pink & blue block is really cute. I too can see that enlarged & in a big quilt.

piecefulwendy said...

It's always a delight when lemon meringue turns out just right! Glad you were all able to enjoy the day together. Those star blocks are lovely, and that little block is so cute! Sadie and Smitty appear to be good help in the sewing room. I can't say the same for Wilbur, but we're working on it. When he settles in to sleep, all is well. Haha.

Auntie Em said...

Your pink blocks are so cheerful! You have a nice variety of pinks and they all play so well together.

Kate said...

Congrats on the gorgeous pie. Sounds like a nice quiet 4th. Good luck with your NBS day, I got that on Wednesday. But I may have to take another vacation day soon do have another. Happy stitching.

The Joyful Quilter said...

With each new RSC Star you post, it's getting SEW difficult resisting the urge to begin making a batch of my own!! Sigh...

O'Quilts said...

My grandmother also made this favorite pie...wish I could do it...Beautiful pink stars

Katie Z. said...

Well done on a perfect pie! I love the fabric you used for your tiny block; my littlest daughter hoards the scraps of it I have.

Jenny said...

Mmm, lemon meringue pie, delicious! Yours looks so nice.

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

Your lemon meringue pie looks delicious! That's something I've never attempted. I really like those star blocks - they're so pretty in your pink scraps!

Jo said...

Yummy pinks you've got there! And adorable feline helpers.