6/16/19

Happy Father's Day

The whole gang was here for a breakfast/brunch this morning. While we were having our family get-together last weekend, we hatched a plan to have Smoked Salmon Hash to celebrate Father's Day this Sunday. Yesterday, Mike smoked a Copper River salmon fillet for use in the hash this morning. The recipe for Smoked Salmon Hash is the same one that used to be served at Portland's own Heathman Hotel. The restaurant at the Heathman closed several years ago, but the recipe lives on. It was a Portland favorite. I served it alongside this Watermelon Salad with Rum and Mint.


And I'm not sure it's possible to serve a brunch on Father's Day without including Mimosas, and so we didn't even try.


As for yesterday, I finished off September's heart.


These are half finished now. Here are all the hearts I've completed so far.


Then I got to work free motion quilting the Home & Heart quilt. For the embroidered blocks, I did a simple vine meander with heart-shaped leaves.


In the 9-patch cornerstones, I did a different kind of a heart.


For the sashings, I'm doing a kind of heart-shaped feather.


When it was time to quit for the day, I had two blocks and their associated sashings and cornerstones completed.


Today I'll continue on with this. I'm hoping I can get at least four more blocks finished. There are nine in all, and so I don't expect this quilting to take very long.

As I'm writing this, I'm reminded why I don't usually drink alcohol before dinner. It makes me sleepy, and so it seems like a nap is a good idea. I'll probably do that first, and then get back to my quilting.

5 comments:

Jan said...

Oh my goodness does that ever sound good! How do I get on your invitation list for next year? I'm up for adoption, you know...

Happy Father's Day!

Jan in PA

Vroomans' Quilts said...

That looks like a delish brunch! No drinks for me at that time either. Most FD events were canceled around here as we had solid wall rain all day with flash flood warnings. Some stitching, some housework, and a lot of kitty time. I love that little heart project - sweet.

piecefulwendy said...

Sounds like a delightfully fun morning with the family. I'd need a nap too, but that mimosa looked tasty. Fun to see the quilting on your quilt. You'll have that done in no time!

Sandra W said...

I'd forgotten about the Home and Hearth quilt. It's very impressive.
Brunch looked great.

Natureluvr57 said...

Love seeing the hearts as you finish because I've never seen those designs before. I have the Home and Heart designs and did a few to include on Mom's quilt. She loved them except the beehive-she wonders why they made it so high and I told her it's a high rise multiple tenant dwelling because I really don't know. Maybe bees make them like that. I'm not even going down that rabbit hole-it's done, finished and over. We had a very rainy weekend-I filled up 3 large plastic garbage cans with rain water. Only one was half full-the water goes so fast when watering the gardens so I was happy to collect more. I have a lot of pruning and plucking to do now. Have a great day.