6/6/19

Brazen American Jackals

It's very tempting to say something political with that title, but I'll keep my opinions to myself today. Did you know that coyotes are known as American Jackals? It makes sense, but I only learned about it when I read their Wikipedia page. Ours seem to get more bold every day. Smitty was relaxing on the catio yesterday morning...


when he came running inside the house grrrr-ing and ran to the window in Mike's office. I knew it was a coyote, but I didn't see it at first. Then, off at the far corner of the property, I spotted it, lying in the grass like he owned the place.


I grabbed the camera and went outside to take its picture. I was using the hood of Mike's truck to steady myself for this way-zoomed-in shot when I saw something out of the corner of my eye. To add insult to injury, another ran past me, no more than 50 feet away. He turned to look at me before running on, and I was only able to capture him as he ran away.


Well, this is too much. Immediately, I got on the internet and looked up our state's animal control laws. We've now spoken with a person who is known in our state as a "Wildlife Control Operator." These are folks licensed by the state to assist with removal of pesky wildlife. Different ones will handle different kinds of animals. Where it stands now is that he's looking at our property via Google Earth, and he'll get back to me with a proposal about what to do and how much it will cost. I'm really hopeful it will be within our means to pay someone else to take care of this problem.

It doesn't help that we have these guys running all over the property.


I'm suspicious that the two coyotes pictured above are a breeding pair, and they probably have pups somewhere. No doubt the many squirrels, moles, voles, mice, and gophers make a good source of food for their family. In any case, I'm feeling at least a little more hopeful about resolving this problem with the coyotes. Time will tell, and I'll continue to keep you posted about what I learn.

After all that excitement, I was happy to get back to my slow-stitching and to still my beating heart. The first of 16 snowmen is stitched now. These blocks are small, and so they go quickly. I might decide to stitch them more than one at a time when this one's turn comes around again.


For now, I'm getting on with the next three blocks for the project I'm calling "A Year of Hearts." I'll be stitching the hearts for July, August, and September this time.


Since I worked on this the last time, I've learned more about the designer, Nancy Huggins. She designed these little stitcheries some time ago, but then found it necessary to return to work as a special education teacher. Recently, she's made a decision to get back to designing and recently opened an Etsy shop where you can see her most recent designs. She's been keeping me up-to-date about this on social media, and there will be more added to the shop soon. Her business is called "The Basket Case - Needlework Therapy."

With those ready for stitching, I turned my attention to the Chicken Buffet quilt. Miss Sadie is happy about this.

Mmmmmmmmm...I love chicken!


As I mentioned yesterday, the cutting is all done for this quilt, and so now, it's just a matter of sewing things together. There are three wonky stars sewn into the sashings, and the first one starts with the first block. You can see it in the lower right-hand cornerstone. It won't make sense until the blocks around it are added.


After I added the second block, a little more was added to the star.


Ever since Sadie attended the Molly School of Quilt Design, she has strong notions about how a quilt should be sewn together. Yesterday, she worked in consultation with her friend, The Red Sparkle Ball.


With her help, I soon had the top row of blocks sewn together.


It was getting late in the day by that time, and I still had some things I wanted to do. But first, Smitty likes a good salad when he's roaming outside. Since he's been cut off from his farm, I went outside and cut off a hunk of grass and fresh catnip for his grazing pleasure.


This was utter bliss, and he purred loudly as he chewed.


While he's confined to the interior, I'll go out each day and bring him some freshly cut greenery. Not all cats eat grass, and most barf if they do. Cats lack an enzyme they need to digest grass. I'm not sure why Smitty is able to tolerate it, but he's always eaten grass with no apparent ill effects. When we're traveling and take him out for walks, his fondest desire is to find some grass for nibbling.

Aside from getting greens for the cat, my sewing took a back seat to these Apricot Cherry Upside Down Mini Cakes yesterday. I make them every year when cherries and apricots are in season at the same time. 


They're easy to make, and so yummy. And, they are a Cooking Light recipe, so they're easy on the diet as well.

Today I'll be doing a little bit of cooking for our family weekend getaway coming up. I'm making food for one dinner and one breakfast, but I won't be doing all of it today. Some of it will get done tomorrow, and then we'll be heading out. I'll say more about that in tomorrow's post.

13 comments:

QUILTING IS BLISSFUL, DI said...

Do have to say that first fox photo is beautiful--
love the coloring on it--
but it sure would scare me to have them so close to the house!!!
When I was a teenager my cousin, me and my boyfriend used to go
out in the fields of my Dad in an old car-- and hunt red fox--
though we had fun--we never seen any or harmed any!!!
have a good safe day--
luv, di

Katie said...

It sounds like Smitty knows that coyotes are danger, but this reinforces your decision to keep he and Sadie inside. The quilts are looking great, particularly those that you have utilized your feline consultants for! And that dessert looks yummy...I might have to try to snag some apricots and cherries next time I get groceries...

Debbie said...

Glad you called and hope they can help you make Smitty and sadie's place safe again. With that said.....we also had some intruder last night in the yard. Overturning the bird bath and tearing down bird feeders. Not exactly sure what it is....so light on tonight as a deterrent.

QuiltGranma said...

So Greens are good for you, Smitty? So glad you don't leave messy green globs on the carpet for your staff to clean up!

Julierose said...

Boy those coyotes are as bold as brass!! Kind of scarey--my heart would be going pitty-pat too.
I like your hearts project and the snowmen, too. And that dessert looks spectacular...
We have a pair of red fox traipsing along our land boundaries...every morning they run through--they have an agenda I believe...I will try to snap a pix of them--they really are beautiful to look at...I think our bountiful number of chipmunks attracts them this year...
hugs, Julierose

Unknown said...

Glad Smitty likes the grass! My cat Boogie got into our AeroGarden and ate the chives right down. It's very overgrown but, carefully, he ate only chives. Also, Debbie's visitor sounds like a bear!

Sally Trude said...

Dear Smitty and Sadie,

Congratulations on the new addition to your family. When we lived in the country, we were always told that we should have a dog to chase away wildlife. So you could get a dog to chase your dog. But we know that is just nonsense put out by the dog lobby and he would just hog the middle of the bed.

Respectfully,

Molly

piecefulwendy said...

Hope you get some good resolution to the wildlife issue. That would not make me comfortable at all. Those chicken blocks are so darn cute!

SJSM said...

Ditto on the coyote problem. It is an anxiety builder in regards to your kitties. Oh, that dessert is fabulous. After the first time you posted the recipe I have made it every year when the apricots and cherries are ripe. It is one of the dishes we look forward to at this time of year.

Sandra W said...

Again from my husband. He says cats eat grass to clear their stomachs. I looked it up and here's what google says:
Cats don't have the necessary enzymes to digest a large amount of grass, which is why it can make them sick. But in the process of throwing up, your cat also clears his stomach of fur, feathers, parasites or bones, which can irritate the digestive tract or even cause more lasting illness.

Nancy said...

I am sorry to see the coyotes so close to the house. I am sure they are after the ground squirrels, they follow the food source and you have it there. At least if the take care of them the squirrels will not get you poppy. Better to keep the cats in for now. I know they don't like it but it is much safer for them.

Jollygirl said...

Where did you get the designs for the snowman blocks? The one you made is so cute. I would like to do one. Sorry about the coyote. They are beautiful animals, but I wouldn't want them around either.

Ruth L. said...

As a 3 cat homeowner, I love your blog. But I must comment on your plates under those mini cakes. They're from Cambridge Glass and with the Rosepoint etching. They're lovely all by themselves but ever so much more bearing those gorgeous cakes. I look forward to their next appearance.